Author Topic: 124-year-old Catholic church in Texas burns to the ground  (Read 672 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
124-year-old Catholic church in Texas burns to the ground
« on: August 15, 2019, 06:51:53 pm »
A historic 124-year-old Roman Catholic church in a rural Texas farming town that serves 244 families burned to the ground on Monday.

Agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives along with the State Fire Marshal’s Office continued to sift through the rubble and investigate what sparked the fire at the Church of the Visitation in Westphalia. Investigators said there were no injuries.

Insurance adjusters estimated that the damages to the building, said to have been the largest all-wood church in the state, could reach $4 million, KWTX reported. The church was built in 1895 and included some 20 stained-glass windows that had been imported from Germany....

https://www.foxnews.com/us/texas-catholic-church-burns-to-ground

I'm a little late in posting this.  I drove through Westphalia last week, and there is nothing left of the church.  It is completely gone.  They're tough out there, and I imagine they will rebuild.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: 124-year-old Catholic church in Texas burns to the ground
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 08:03:05 pm »
Not a Spanish Mission by any means!.   Sad for the loss.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 10:19:43 pm »
I'm a little late in posting this.  I drove through Westphalia last week, and there is nothing left of the church.  It is completely gone.  They're tough out there, and I imagine they will rebuild.
Is this one of the famed 'painted churches'?

I hope some of the old stained glass came through the fire.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 10:20:37 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2019, 12:41:40 am »
Is this one of the famed 'painted churches'?

I hope some of the old stained glass came through the fire.

I don't think this was one of the painted churches.  I never went in it while it was standing.  My bad.