Author Topic: Huh? California Gov Newsom: ‘Vast majority’ of homeless in San Francisco are from Texas  (Read 786 times)

Offline corbe

Huh? California Gov Newsom: ‘Vast majority’ of homeless in San Francisco are from Texas

By J.E. Dyer  August 15, 2019

California’s Governor Gavin Newsom was the mayor of San Francisco (2004-2011) before he became lieutenant governor.  So it’s reader’s choice whether to see him as especially expert on this subject, or as especially motivated to make claims about it that reek of political theme-placing.

Whichever way you prefer to see it, the conservative fact-checking site Politifact California took it on this week, after the Los Angeles Times picked up on Newsom’s claim, from an Axios on HBO interview he did in June 2019.  (The video is not posted online, but a promo clip can be viewed here.  Newsom is seen making another drive-by allusion to “toxic masculinity,” like the one LU caught for you in our Web Crawler headlines on Wednesday.)

Politifact California summarizes the governor’s point:
Newsom said most of the homeless people on the street when he left office were not from California, but added “we took responsibility” for them.

He then made the head-scratching claim about Texas.

“The vast majority (of San Francisco’s homeless people) also come in from — and we know this — from Texas. Just (an) interesting fact,” Newsom said.

<..snip..>

https://libertyunyielding.com/2019/08/15/huh-california-gov-newsom-vast-majority-of-homeless-in-san-francisco-are-from-texas/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
So, Gavin thinks all brown people look alike.  Mighty white of that boy
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline skeeter

Well Gavin didn't exactly graduate magna cu laude.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

How does Newsom know this and more to the point, why would he say it anyway?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
So, Gavin thinks all brown people look alike.  Mighty white of that boy
Nah, he figured it by their accents, I'm sure he walked and talked to all of them personally. Who would have believed old gay newsome would make people miss Moonbeam?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
If most of them are from Texas, I'm OK with this.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Next he'll want to round them all up and bus them back to where he says they came from, Texas.

Offline Hoodat

Maybe if he hadn't erected a giant 'homeless magnet' of free stuff, then he wouldn't have so many homeless people traveling to SF.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-