Author Topic: ‘I can’t imagine living in the U.S. again’  (Read 1600 times)

Offline Hoodat

She’s 63 and living by the beach in Mexico on $1,000 a month: ‘I can’t imagine living in the U.S. again’

Published: Aug 15, 2019 10:12 a.m. ET

After losing her job as a journalist, Janet Blaser left Santa Cruz for Mazatlán, where she started her own magazine. Here are the pros and cons of her life abroad.

~snip~

She spent the first year in Mazatlán living on the earnings from a part-time editing job she did online and some savings (Janet lives on about $1,000 a month), as she planned how to start that local arts-and-entertainment magazine. M! Magazine launched in 2007 — filled with restaurant reviews, profiles, advice on what to do and see — and Janet owned it for nine years.

Fast-forward more than a decade — during which time Janet also started a local organic farmers market — and though Janet misses her kids and now three grandkids, who all live in the U.S., she notes that “I can’t imagine living in the U.S. again” — in part because, she says, “I couldn’t afford to live in the States again” and that “the more easygoing Mexican lifestyle agrees” with her.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/shes-63-and-living-by-the-beach-in-mexico-on-1000-a-month-i-cant-imagine-living-in-the-us-again-2019-08-15

The thing that makes Mazatlán affordable for her is that it is not being run by her Santa Cruz peers.  Once the California leftists gain control of Mazatlán and implement the same government policies, her $1,000/mo living expense will rise to $7,000/mo.  This is one of the most galling things about liberalism.  There are never any lessons learned.  No one ever stops to figure out what went wrong with Santa Cruz, Portland, San Francisco, Washington's Maryland suburbs, New York, etc.  They just spot greener grass elsewhere, and then kill it off just as they did back home.  This woman is writing a book alerting all her liberal friends that there is still grass growing in Mazatlán  and to make sure they pack their Roundup in their suitcases when they decide to relocate.

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: ‘I can’t imagine living in the U.S. again’
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 02:42:32 pm »
Mazatlan is in Sinaloa.

So, plenty of Americans live in Mexico, they are probably well protected but that doesn't change that you are living in the heart of the Cartel-lands and could the violence affect where you are living? Possibly, eventually, it's ruined Acapulco they say.

At the least, real skullduggery is probably not far from where you live.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 02:44:05 pm by TomSea »

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 02:59:16 pm »
Don't come back.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 03:29:32 pm »
It is an article by a jounalist. Consider that.

OTOH Mexico is big and varied. There are numerous expatriate colonies.

If said people were not relatively safe, there would be plenty of news, about their demise.

Not my thing at this time.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 10:02:42 pm »
Next article on her just might be displaying her head on a pole.  Mexico is indeed cheap, but not a safe place
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Applewood

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 11:30:58 pm »
Used to watch House Hunters and its companion show, House Hunters International.  So many of the latter's episodes featured Americans moving to Mexico -- some were young families with little children.  I would think, these people have to be nuts. 

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 12:53:51 am »
If you like it there, Janet, please STAY there.
And invite all your friends to migrate down, too!

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 01:07:15 am »
She is the Howard Sprague of Santa Cruz.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2019, 12:22:27 pm »
And when she grows old and infirm, she'll be crying about how her kids and grandkids don't come to see her/care for her.

My sister and I still shake our heads as to how tough it was for our mom to come visit. She just didn't want to leave her house, though she was in great health. We both had room where she could enjoy extended visits with us and her grandkids. There was only one time where she saw her five grandkids in one place, and we had to browbeat her into making the trip from Oregon to the Bay Area.

I'm blessed that I see my grandson nearly every day, I can't imagine not being able to see him. My sister welcomes her first grandchild in December, and she's thrilled to death.

As much as I'd like to move to the Hill Country, I know it's not in the cards. Our kids and grandson are here, and that's the way it is.

To each is own, I guess.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2019, 04:03:37 pm »
@Night Hides Not

You said:

And when she grows old and infirm, she'll be crying about how her kids and grandkids don't come to see her/care for her.

And that made me think, I wonder what she's going to do when she gets really old and sick and needs more intensive care  Oh, she talks about how inexpensive health care is in Mexico and how good routine care is, but it doesn't sound like she has really put the Mexican health care system to the test.  I'm gonna bet if she develops some serious health issues, he will be back in the States in no time flat.

Online cato potatoe

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2019, 08:59:07 pm »
I'm not sure if this woman is a pushy leftist.  You will probably see more of this as our culture disintegrates.  The government has made it so that a person of means must pay an exit (extortion) tax if they renounce citizenship.  The more adventurous in the lower and middle classes do have a way to start over without sacrificing too much.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2019, 12:00:40 pm »
Mazatlan is in Sinaloa.

It figures.  That women doesn't know shit from shinola.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2019, 04:44:47 pm »
She’s 63 and living by the beach in Mexico on $1,000 a month: ‘I can’t imagine living in the U.S. again’

Published: Aug 15, 2019 10:12 a.m. ET

After losing her job as a journalist, Janet Blaser left Santa Cruz for Mazatlán, where she started her own magazine. Here are the pros and cons of her life abroad.

~snip~

She spent the first year in Mazatlán living on the earnings from a part-time editing job she did online and some savings (Janet lives on about $1,000 a month), as she planned how to start that local arts-and-entertainment magazine. M! Magazine launched in 2007 — filled with restaurant reviews, profiles, advice on what to do and see — and Janet owned it for nine years.

Fast-forward more than a decade — during which time Janet also started a local organic farmers market — and though Janet misses her kids and now three grandkids, who all live in the U.S., she notes that “I can’t imagine living in the U.S. again” — in part because, she says, “I couldn’t afford to live in the States again” and that “the more easygoing Mexican lifestyle agrees” with her.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/shes-63-and-living-by-the-beach-in-mexico-on-1000-a-month-i-cant-imagine-living-in-the-us-again-2019-08-15

The thing that makes Mazatlán affordable for her is that it is not being run by her Santa Cruz peers.  Once the California leftists gain control of Mazatlán and implement the same government policies, her $1,000/mo living expense will rise to $7,000/mo.  This is one of the most galling things about liberalism.  There are never any lessons learned.  No one ever stops to figure out what went wrong with Santa Cruz, Portland, San Francisco, Washington's Maryland suburbs, New York, etc.  They just spot greener grass elsewhere, and then kill it off just as they did back home.  This woman is writing a book alerting all her liberal friends that there is still grass growing in Mazatlán  and to make sure they pack their Roundup in their suitcases when they decide to relocate.
I wonder if this birdbrain is one of these who finally woke up to where they live? 
American families fleeing Mexico arrive in Arizona days after cartel massacre
https://www.foxnews.com/us/mormon-families-flee-mexico-arizona-cartel-massacre
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 05:07:21 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington