Author Topic: My Son’s Freshman Orientation At Virginia Tech Was Full Of Leftist Propaganda  (Read 920 times)

Online mountaineer

My Son’s Freshman Orientation At Virginia Tech Was Full Of Leftist Propaganda
Now that I have witnessed college propaganda firsthand, I refuse to ignore the indefensible and discriminatory behavior of the liberal campus bullies anymore.
By Penny Nance
August 14, 2019
Are taxpayers funding academic institutions to indoctrinate our kids? That disturbing and irresistible question plagued me during the long drive home last week from college orientation. I doubt I am alone in this wake-up call.

Like many other women, I just sent my youngest child to college. I am so proud of him and his decision to join the Army ROTC and study engineering. He will be attending a revered Virginia institution known for its military Corps of Cadets program. ...

...  I was shocked to experience what I can only describe as extreme and overtly leftist propaganda spewed at our children’s orientation. The opening “University Welcome” event for students and parents separated families immediately in the auditorium.

Nobody expected the event to begin with prayer or the Pledge of Allegiance — heavens, no! But one might expect to remember the names of fallen cadets on the pylons or the 32 dead and 17 injured in the 2007 shooting on Virginia Tech’s campus, the deadliest school shooting in U.S. history. Nope. Instead, the administration made the stunning choice to open orientation by recognizing two Native American tribes on whose land the college was built (with the implication that it was stolen).

What followed went from slightly bothersome to downright alarming. The college filled the next two hours with speaker after speaker who introduced themselves with not just their names and titles but also preferred pronouns — as in, “Hi my name is Penny Nance, and I identify as she and her.” At first, parents were slightly surprised; by the end, they were mad.  ...

... I noticed all the new students’ badges contained not just their names but also their preferred pronouns because the school had made it part of registration. The heavy-handed diversity lecture that followed seemed rather tame in comparison. ...

At one point, after dinner, they sent parents off to oblivious sleep while they lectured students on not making assumptions about each other’s gender or sexuality.  ...
She offers some advice for parents dismayed with the indoctrination at their children's colleges. Read the entire article at The Federalist
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Applewood

I have some advice for parents:  don't send your kids to college/university. 

Never  had kids, but if I did, I wouldn't send them to any college/university.  Sad because when I was growing up, it was the dream of nearly every parent, including my own, to give their kids a higher education.  Most of my folks' generation didn't have that opportunity.  They grew up poor during the Great Depression when they were lucky to have enough to eat.  College/university was a luxury their parents couldn't afford. 

But now with all the leftist indoctrination, I think it's better to send kids to a trade or technical school.  Most of those are focused on teaching a skill, not wasting time on "free" stuff,  so-called climate change, gender identification, LGBT "rights" and all that other BS.  Students learn a useful skill and in many of the trades, they can make some serious money.

Bill Cipher

That’s pretty bad for a school like VA Tech.  I’d have expected nonsense like this from UVA, not VT.

Online mountaineer

That’s pretty bad for a school like VA Tech.  I’d have expected nonsense like this from UVA, not VT.
Agreed. Even schools noted for the sciences, etc., get into this stupid social engineering nonsense, it appears.

@Applewood I'm the first to say we need more well-trained technical people, from HVAC to auto mechanics. However, we'll still need a few teachers, doctors and the like. For those kids for whom college really is the appropriate choice, I'd sure as heck not sent them to about 98% of the schools in America. Private or public, makes no difference, they're still primarily concerned with political indoctrination. If I had a college-age child who didn't want to become a computer repairman or a refrigeration tech, I'd send them to Hillsdale, Grove City College, Franciscan University or my own alma mater (a Christian university in the midwest).

Offline verga

Better off sending your kids to "trade" schools. Plumbers, electricians, auto mechanics, Machinists, etc......Almost guaranteed a job when they are done and they don't have to put up with the PC crap.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline The_Reader_David

To the headline:  no, duh! 

Offices of Student Life, which run frosh orientations, are usually even further to the left that the faculty.   Most of the really outrageous rot in academe, things like sex-positive orientations with free condoms and instruction on bondage and anal sex, speech codes, "free speech zones"  (if a university is going to be what it's supposed to be, the whole campus needs to be a free speech zone), abolishing due process protections for "sexual harassment" cases and the like emanate from administrators, most prominently in Offices of Student Life, with the faculty of [Fill in name of grievance group here] Studies departments running a close second.

One of the dumbest things anyone on our side has ever done was Scott Walker's "reforms" that shifted power in the state universities from faculty to administrators.  Completely clueless.  He should have found some conservative faculty members in the sciences or econ and asked them about how to get the universities to be less leftist, but no, he just shifted power from the fairly far left faculty to the insanely far left administrators.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Online mountaineer

A conservative student is up against the faculty, administration and fellow students.
New UT freshmen threatened with release of personal info if they join conservative groups
by Christian FloresMonday, July 1st 2019

University of Texas incoming freshmen who are interested in joining one of the two conservative groups on campus are being met with social media threats by a far left wing group.

In a series of tweets, the Autonomous Student Network posted on Twitter that they would broadcast personal information of any incoming freshman who joins either the Young Conservatives of Texas or Turning Point USA.

This practice is commonly known as doxxing.  ...  More at CBS News/Austin