Author Topic: Trump phoned Democratic senator to talk gun control  (Read 1372 times)

Online corbe

Trump phoned Democratic senator to talk gun control
« on: August 13, 2019, 10:59:37 pm »
Trump phoned Democratic senator to talk gun control

By Brett Samuels  - 08/13/19 06:39 PM EDT

President Trump said Tuesday he spoke with Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) about pressing forward on background checks in the wake of recent mass shootings.

"We had a very good conversation. We’ll see what happens," Trump told reporters while en route to a speech in Pennsylvania.

Murphy has been a leading advocate for more gun control laws since the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre in his state in 2012. He tweeted Tuesday that he'd spoken with Trump and Sens. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) and Pat Toomey (R-Pa.) about support for background checks legislation.

<..snip..>

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/457329-trump-phoned-democratic-senator-to-talk-gun-control
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online corbe

Re: Trump phoned Democratic senator to talk gun control
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 11:01:38 pm »

Perhaps she's in the DogHouse.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 11:02:17 pm »

Perhaps she's in the DogHouse.

Nope.  Precious is just getting started.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 11:05:35 pm »
I’d love to see a proposal linking universal background checks with universal right to carry.

After all, if universal background checks are what are needed to stop mass shootings then those who pass one should be trusted to take their firearm everywhere.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 11:27:23 pm »
I’d love to see a proposal linking universal background checks with universal right to carry.

After all, if universal background checks are what are needed to stop mass shootings then those who pass one should be trusted to take their firearm everywhere.

No federal lists.
No record keeping intermediary
Or confiscation is right around the corner.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 11:42:10 pm »
No federal lists.
No record keeping intermediary
Or confiscation is right around the corner.

Aren't there records now of those applying for a background check?  Are these kept locally?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2019, 12:07:15 am »

@skeeter

Works for me,although my opinion is that any free citizen DOES have the Constitutional RIGHT to take a firearm anywhere they go. If you are considered to be such a threat to society or yourself that you aren't allowed to carry a gun,you shouldn't be running around free to start with.

Instead of going to a cop shop or a court to get permission to exercise your Constitutional RIGHTS,the cops should have to go to court to get permission to deny them to you.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 12:08:10 am by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2019, 01:34:41 am »
Aren't there records now of those applying for a background check?  Are these kept locally?

Not for me. Or at least, not for me but for the exception of two or three of em.

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2019, 01:57:48 am »
Not for me. Or at least, not for me but for the exception of two or three of em.

I'm not sure what this means ... are their records kept on background check applications?

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2019, 02:10:25 am »
Of course he did.  I want background checks for machete's and knives too.  Give them a plastic knife to eat with.  And while we are at it they shouldn't get cars either.  They could plow into a crowd.  If they are dangerous we should be intercepting telephone calls too.  What if they are going to commit something like the Oklahoma city bombing.  How about pressure cookers? They shouldn't have those.  Internet access where they can make plans or learn how to blow things up.  Oh, the possibilities are so many if they don't have a gun.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2019, 02:14:57 am »
We’ll see what happens," Trump told reporters while en route to a speech in Pennsylvania.

He may be trying to weaken one of the strongest links against 2A interests.  From the article POTUS is still talking about finding "a lunatic or a maniac" before they find a gun.

We shall see.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2019, 02:16:57 am »
I'm not sure what this means ... are their records kept on background check applications?

I am sure there are, even though technically the records are only to be kept for 7 years... Unless the dealer loses his license or folds up - Then the records become the property of the ATF I think.

But of course the dealer is submitting to an FBI database, or to the sheriff who submits to the FBI database, and I am sure that record is not being discarded, no matter what is happening locally.

But private sales here are private. I can buy or sell however I want on the used market. Which is why most of mine are not registered. Only 2 or 3 were purchased from dealers.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2019, 02:19:43 am »
Of course he did.  I want background checks for machete's and knives too.  Give them a plastic knife to eat with.  And while we are at it they shouldn't get cars either.  They could plow into a crowd.  If they are dangerous we should be intercepting telephone calls too.  What if they are going to commit something like the Oklahoma city bombing.  How about pressure cookers? They shouldn't have those.  Internet access where they can make plans or learn how to blow things up.  Oh, the possibilities are so many if they don't have a gun.

You forgot pocket combs and feather dusters....  :whistle:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2019, 02:21:47 am »
From the article POTUS is still talking about finding "a lunatic or a maniac" before they find a gun.

We shall see.

Utterly impossible.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2019, 02:24:17 am »
You forgot pocket combs and feather dusters....  :whistle:

box cutters, pocket combs and feather dusters.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2019, 02:27:20 am »
box cutters, pocket combs and feather dusters.

cheese graters... Toilet paper... Super glue.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2019, 02:27:33 am »
Utterly impossible.

They would have to make sure that anyone the crazy person lives with can't get a gun too.  Or the neighbors...……..  Actually the entire country would have to be disarmed.  Just ask the lady who told the Democratic candidate about her 4 year old getting their gun.  She apparently wants the government to protect her from herself.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2019, 02:32:15 am »
They would have to make sure that anyone the crazy person lives with can't get a gun too.  Or the neighbors...……..  Actually the entire country would have to be disarmed.  Just ask the lady who told the Democratic candidate about her 4 year old getting their gun.  She apparently wants the government to protect her from herself.

It is so easy to obtain weapons, make weapons, make bombs... There are endless possibilities that would keep our pearl clutching friends up all night, if only they were not so clueless wrt reality.

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2019, 02:46:20 am »
Utterly impossible.

No it's not.  We know the kid that shot up the high school in Parkland was red flagged .... no one knew what to do about it; the same with the Dayton shooter. The El Paso shooter's mother had called the police.  But again, no one, including the police and school personnel, had the authority and instructions on how to follow-up and act on the information.

I don't think anyone's expecting to stop all murder with a red flag law and wider mental health checks, but damn it, man, can't we at least slow down the random rampages?

I used to think phrases like "utterly impossible" were signs of chronic defeatism; but now it just sounds like straw men and their arguments are fighting hard to win the day.   

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2019, 02:49:18 am »
It is so easy to obtain weapons, make weapons, make bombs... There are endless possibilities that would keep our pearl clutching friends up all night, if only they were not so clueless wrt reality.

clueless is right.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2019, 02:52:42 am »
No it's not.  We know the kid that shot up the high school in Parkland was red flagged .... no one knew what to do about it; the same with the Dayton shooter. The El Paso shooter's mother had called the police.  But again, no one, including the police and school personnel, had the authority and instructions on how to follow-up and act on the information.

I don't think anyone's expecting to stop all murder with a red flag law and wider mental health checks, but damn it, man, can't we at least slow down the random rampages?

I used to think phrases like "utterly impossible" were signs of chronic defeatism; but now it just sounds like straw men and their arguments are fighting hard to win the day.

This is going to hurt Veterans.  Any with PTSD.  If someone makes a threat then yes.  If they are posting they want to kill people, yes.  Isn't that already law?

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2019, 03:06:24 am »

This is going to hurt Veterans.  Any with PTSD.  If someone makes a threat then yes.  If they are posting they want to kill people, yes.  Isn't that already law?

I don't know enough about veterans with PTSD, what it means or the degrees of severity .... but would a second look really be an awful idea?

Anti-social behavior goes well beyond making threats.  In fact, sociopaths are among the smartest, most manipulative people in the world so it's doubtful they'd advertise their intentions.  But they do leave other clues and these clues should be recognized and followed up on.  Hopefully, they get a nice 72 hour rest and a treatment plan that takes them away from society, at least for a while.  And no guns.  Evah.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2019, 03:08:52 am »

This is going to hurt Veterans.  Any with PTSD.   

@Chosen Daughter

Which happens to be pretty much any Veteran that was ever within 100 miles of a gun shot. I must have argued with the VA a dozen times about this issue. The VA kept insisting I have PTSD,and I kept insisting I don't and have never had the first nightmare about VN or any of the other stuff I did. And I haven't.They were trying to build up their budget at the time by hiring shrinks and spending money to prove "We care",and I flat refused to play the game. Drove them nuts. They ended up giving me 30 percent anyhow. Which helped them,not me. I was already rated at 100 percent disabled because of actual physical issues,so I didn't get a nickel out of it.

I wouldn't be the tiniest bit surprised to learn my name was on the roster of some PTSD shrink up there as a regular group therapy attendee,though. Maybe even a regular single counseling attendee. The VA was catching a lot of flack back then about ignorning vets,and they were in Empire-Building mode.

To be fair to the VA,I was shocked at how improved the services and attitudes were when I started going back there again after a decade or more of staying away. It is no exaggeration to say the VA employee attitudes towards vets today is a thousand times better than it was.

I will be beating my head against the wall again soon,though. They are still refusing to pay any of my medical bills for the lymphoma cancer treatements,despite it being directly related to Agent Orange,and me being one of the first vets awarded Agent Orange disability. Their latest excuse for not paying is I didn't file the paperwork withini 24 hours of being admitted to a civilian hospital. No kidding. Think maybe being a patient in intensive care might have had something to do with that?

So I am waiting now until the chemo-brain fades away because getting confused makes me angry,and I can't afford to already be angry when I go to the VA.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2019, 03:51:30 am »

Anecdote... In fact, utterly and completely impossible. Serial killers are a close comparison and... Bupkis.

You will sacrifice liberty and find nothing.

And I am not being defeatist at all. Just a matter of reality. Needles in haystacks. Especially before the fact.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2019, 04:52:20 am »
I don't know enough about veterans with PTSD, what it means or the degrees of severity .... but would a second look really be an awful idea?

Anti-social behavior goes well beyond making threats.  In fact, sociopaths are among the smartest, most manipulative people in the world so it's doubtful they'd advertise their intentions.  But they do leave other clues and these clues should be recognized and followed up on.  Hopefully, they get a nice 72 hour rest and a treatment plan that takes them away from society, at least for a while.  And no guns.  Evah.

You mean clues like this?

Trump: "I Could Stand In the Middle Of Fifth Avenue And Shoot Somebody And I Wouldn't Lose Any Voters"