Author Topic: CANADA: 'It's a miracle': Woman survives fall from plane after parachute fails  (Read 369 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Excerpt:
'It's a miracle': Woman survives fall from plane after parachute fails
Woman, 30, fell more than 1,500 metres before crashing into trees, witnesses say
CBC News · Posted: Aug 15, 2019 6:33 AM ET | Last Updated: 10 hours ago

Denis Demers is still processing what he witnessed on Saturday evening in Trois-Rivières, Que., when a skydiver's parachute failed to open properly as she plummeted a kilometre and a half to the ground.

"It's a miracle," Demers told Radio-Canada on Wednesday. "I don't know how a person can survive a fall from an airplane like that."

To say a parachute didn't open is "pretty vague and often not correct," Nancy Koreen, director of sports promotion for the US Parachute Association (USPA), said after hearing the basic facts provided by provincial police.

Read more at: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/skydiving-accident-quebec-survive-1.5247744

See the last paragraph, there is some detail and meaning as to what exactly means the parachute did not open up. However it is, the woman must be very fortunate.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 04:20:46 am by TomSea »

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
https://www.insider.com/woman-survives-5000-foot-fall-parachute-fails-2019-8

The woman's fall was broken by trees, which she hit travelling at a speed of at least 37 miles-per-hour, Radio-Canada reported.

Police from Trois-Rivières told the radio network that the woman's life is not in danger.

If she hit with a velocity around 37 mph and her primary and reserve chutes failed, it must mean that after her primary chute failed to deploy properly and when she pulled her reserve it must have fouled in the primary. That would mean both chutes were either streamers or partially deployed. That's what dropped her velocity to around 37 mph.

Ages ago I was taught when pulling the reserve, to catch it in your hands and then throw it down and away to get it as far away from the failed primary as you could.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
https://www.insider.com/woman-survives-5000-foot-fall-parachute-fails-2019-8

If she hit with a velocity around 37 mph and her primary and reserve chutes failed, it must mean that after her primary chute failed to deploy properly and when she pulled her reserve it must have fouled in the primary. That would mean both chutes were either streamers or partially deployed. That's what dropped her velocity to around 37 mph.

Ages ago I was taught when pulling the reserve, to catch it in your hands and then throw it down and away to get it as far away from the failed primary as you could.
I thought you were supposed to cut away the primary before deploying the reserve. Isn't there a release?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
I was jumping with modified military chutes back in the 70s. We weren't instructed to release our mains. Only one of us in our group ever used a reserve. He found a way to do something wrong on every jump. On one jump, when he jumped, he was doing back flips from the plane. His chute deployed into a classic Mae West. He got so excited, his hands were shaking so much he couldn't grab his reserve handle until he took one had to steady the other. He pulled his reserve and it opened fully. With 2 chutes up he was dropping so slow that he was drifting out of the drop zone toward the power lines. We were taught you can't steer with 2 chutes deployed. Well he was pulling like crazy and found he could steer enough to get away from the power lines.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 12:15:54 pm by Elderberry »