Author Topic: Trump says he delayed tariffs because of concerns over Christmas shopping season  (Read 963 times)

Offline libertybele

Delaying tariffs for the Christmas season???  Really??? How stupid does he think we are. Gee has nothing to do with the market tanking or China calling his bluff?  Typical Trump; make threats and then retreat.

Trump says he delayed tariffs because of concerns over Christmas shopping season

President Donald Trump on Tuesday said he is delaying some tariffs on Chinese imports ahead of the Christmas season to stem their potential impact on holiday shopping.

The Trump administration announced hours earlier that it would delay until Dec. 15 some of the tariffs that were originally scheduled to come into effect Sept. 1.

“We’re doing this for the Christmas season,” Trump told reporters on an airport tarmac around noon Tuesday. “Just in case some of the tariffs would have an impact on U.S. customers.”

“But so far they’ve had virtually none,” the president added. “But just in case they might have an impact on people, what we’ve done is we’ve delayed it, so that they won’t be relevant to the Christmas shopping season.”

The acknowledgement that tariffs could harm holiday sales marks a shift for Trump, a self-described “tariff man” who has long claimed that the taxes on imports help the U.S. while applying pressure on China.

The U.S. trade representative said the delay would apply to a wide variety of goods, including certain electronics such as cellphones, laptops and video games...........

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/13/trump-says-he-delayed-tariffs-because-of-concerns-over-christmas-shopping-season.html

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Absalom

Trumpet has been full of crap since conception, as his family well understood.
He changes his mind because he has absolutely no conviction about anything or anyone!
The clowns he appoints on Monday am and fires in pm, are an example.
His infatuation w/Rocket Man, a venomous psychopath, is another.
Character is Destiny (Fate) and it will likely end very poorly for him!!!!!

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Trumpet has been full of crap since conception, as his family well understood.
He changes his mind because he has absolutely no conviction about anything or anyone!
The clowns he appoints on Monday am and fires in pm, are an example.
His infatuation w/Rocket Man, a venomous psychopath, is another.
Character is Destiny (Fate) and it will likely end very poorly for him!!!!!

Gee, how kind of you to give us your unvarnished opinion on the matter.  I know I gave it the appropriate amount of consideration before I chalked it up to the rantings of the lunatic fringe wing of the NT consortium. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Absalom

Gee, how kind of you to give us your unvarnished opinion on the matter.  I know I gave it the appropriate amount of consideration before I chalked it up to the rantings of the lunatic fringe wing of the NT consortium.
-----------------------------------
You certainly showed me the error of my ways w/your factual rebuttal.
Yes indeedy!!

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Wait, I thought the tariffs were raking in billions per month from China. What could be a better Christmas present for the US?    *****rollingeyes*****
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline corbe

@Absalom is very prophetic, being a student of history and all, BUT you must have not partaked of the Kool~Aid in order to understand his musings.   :whistle:
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Trump delays tariffs on some Chinese goods until December
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2019, 11:34:30 am »
Houston Chronicle by PAUL WISEMAN and CHRISTOPHER RUGABER 8/13/2019

Responding to pressure from businesses and growing fears that a trade war is threatening the U.S. economy, the Trump administration is delaying most of the import taxes it planned to impose on Chinese goods and is dropping others altogether.

The announcement Tuesday from the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative was greeted with relief on Wall Street and by retailers who have grown fearful that the new tariffs would wreck holiday sales.

The administration says it still plans to proceed with 10% tariffs on about $300 billion in Chinese imports — extending its import taxes to just about everything China ships to the United States in a dispute over Beijing's strong-arm trade policies.

But under pressure from retailers and other businesses, President Donald Trump's trade office said it would delay until Dec. 15 the tariffs on nearly 60% of the imports that had been set to absorb the new taxes starting Sept. 1. Among the products that will benefit from the 3½-month reprieve are such popular consumer goods as cellphones, laptops, video game consoles, some toys, computer monitors, shoes and clothing.

The administration is also removing other items from the tariff list entirely, based on what it called "health, safety, national security and other factors."

Separately, China's Ministry of Commerce reported that top Chinese negotiators had spoken by phone with their U.S. counterparts, Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer and Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, and planned to talk again in two weeks.

The news sent the Dow Jones Industrial Average soaring more than 400 points in mid-afternoon trading. Shares of Apple, Mattel and shoe brand Steve Madden, which stand to benefit from the delayed tariffs, led the rally.

Speaking to reporters in New Jersey, Trump confirmed that he had decided to delay the tariffs, which could force retailers to raise prices, to avoid the economic pain that could result during the holiday period.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/article/US-delays-tariffs-on-some-Chinese-goods-drops-14300742.php

Offline Applewood

Re: Trump delays tariffs on some Chinese goods until December
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2019, 02:00:08 pm »
More game playing.

Offline kevindavis007

Keep on delaying..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline LMAO

So is this a quiet  admission by the administration that tariffs  are harmful to the economy?
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline bilo

I wouldn't rely too much on the reporting about this. The negotiations are going on behind closed doors. Trump didn't drop the existing tariffs and didn't rescind his plan on all of the proposed tariffs.

The delay on implementing some of the new tariffs may be a combination of factors; the world economy slowing, negative interest rates in Europe, and the fed not lowering rates enough here among other things.

A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline edpc

So is this a quiet  admission by the administration that tariffs  are harmful to the economy?

The head of the FDRA seems to believe so.

"The announcement today that the Trump Administration will be delaying the additional 10% tariff on some footwear until December 1 is an acknowledgment that tariffs are indeed paid by Americans,” the group’s president and CEO Matt Priest said in a statement.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/footwear-distributors-retailers-america-trump-delay-tariffs-211032604.html

Offline rustynail

Won't matter, with this economy there will be very little Christmas shopping this season.
Hard times Daddy.

Offline aligncare

I wouldn't rely too much on the reporting about this. The negotiations are going on behind closed doors. Trump didn't drop the existing tariffs and didn't rescind his plan on all of the proposed tariffs.

The delay on implementing some of the new tariffs may be a combination of factors; the world economy slowing, negative interest rates in Europe, and the fed not lowering rates enough here among other things.

:thumbsup:

Rush said as much on his broadcast earlier today.

It’s amazing to see NeverTrumpers chase the laser pointer brought to us daily by the same folks who brought you 2 1/2 years of Trump was a Russian asset.

From Russia, Russia, Russia to the “economic sky is falling!” These scare tactics are all about 2020.

Republicans and conservatives should know better than to listen to the MSM. They’re not reporting news. They’re planting stories, the democrats version of “truth,” with what they want us to believe is fact.

Offline edpc

It’s amazing to see NeverTrumpers chase the laser pointer brought to us daily by the same folks who brought you 2 1/2 years of Trump was a Russian asset.

From Russia, Russia, Russia to the “economic sky is falling!” These scare tactics are all about 2020.

Republicans and conservatives should know better than to listen to the MSM. They’re not reporting news. They’re planting stories, the democrats version of “truth,” with what they want us to believe is fact.

Yeah - let’s take Limbaugh’s word for it, now.  He’s only the person that bitched about the deficit for decades, then just recently said nobody was ever serious about it, anyway.    :shrug:

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
Won't matter, with this economy there will be very little Christmas shopping this season.
Hard times Daddy.

Can you spare a guy a nickel, Mistah?

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Can you spare a guy a nickel, Mistah?

Mister we could use a man
Like Herbert Hoover again.

Offline bilo

:thumbsup:

:yowsa:

I think some people are so invested in hating Trump they can't see straight. Just because we have an inverted yield curve at the moment doesn't mean we are going into a recession. The economy is great. Unemployment is so low businesses can't fill jobs. Wages for middle class and lower class workers are rising. Wall street is down, but they really don't represent main street in any big way. The index's are filled with listings of multinational corporations. A great many of these  corporations have made the mistake of investing in China and now that we have a POTUS who is willing to confront China they stand to lose on their investments if they can't relocate their production elsewhere.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

:yowsa:

I think some people are so invested in hating Trump they can't see straight. Just because we have an inverted yield curve at the moment doesn't mean we are going into a recession. The economy is great. Unemployment is so low businesses can't fill jobs. Wages for middle class and lower class workers are rising. Wall street is down, but they really don't represent main street in any big way. The index's are filled with listings of multinational corporations. A great many of these  corporations have made the mistake of investing in China and now that we have a POTUS who is willing to confront China they stand to lose on their investments if they can't relocate their production elsewhere.

The economy is great???  It's been puttering along at less than average for a decade.  The Fed is cutting, AT AROUND 2.25% (which, IIRC, you recently said wasn't enough).

I think some people are so invested in Trump they can't see straight.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline rustynail

It's official, the World is nearing a Global Trump Recession

Analyst: Signs signal a nearing global recession @RanaForoohar
 and Mark Zandi discuss (link: https://cnn.it/2Kznj2o) cnn.it/2Kznj2o

Offline bilo

The economy is great???  It's been puttering along at less than average for a decade.  The Fed is cutting, AT AROUND 2.25% (which, IIRC, you recently said wasn't enough).

I think some people are so invested in Trump they can't see straight.

Lets dismantle some of this.

Trump wasn't in office until 2017. The tax cuts didn't get done until late 2017. Thus, putting economic performance based on GDP for the last ten years on him is wrong. I think full employment and a rising labor force participation rate are bigger than the better than 2% growth of GDP. I suspect most Americans think the same way. It's better when our fellow countrymen are working and building their own futures. Turning this into a negative only illustrates a lack of objectivity.

Trump deserves huge credit for the good economic situation we are in. It is Trump's policies that lowered taxes, reduced regulation, set up better trade deals and expanded our domestic energy production.

The fed cut .25%. I don't recall commenting one way or the other about that.

Offline libertybele

Trump wasn't in office until 2017. The tax cuts didn't get done until late 2017. Thus, putting economic performance based on GDP for the last ten years on him is wrong. I think full employment and a rising labor force participation rate are bigger than the better than 2% growth of GDP. I suspect most Americans think the same way. It's better when our fellow countrymen are working and building their own futures. Turning this into a negative only illustrates a lack of objectivity.

Trump deserves huge credit for the good economic situation we are in. It is Trump's policies that lowered taxes, reduced regulation, set up better trade deals and expanded our domestic energy production.

Yep...great economic situation -- I don't know about you but the recent roller coaster ride in the stock market is enough to make me want to puke!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Wingnut

It's official, the World is nearing a Global Trump Recession

Analyst: Signs signal a nearing global recession @RanaForoohar
 and Mark Zandi discuss (link: https://cnn.it/2Kznj2o) cnn.it/2Kznj2o

You don't add much with your posts.   @rustynail   But neither do I.   We need to work on this.  Don't you agree?

Offline bilo

Yep...great economic situation -- I don't know about you but the recent roller coaster ride in the stock market is enough to make me want to puke!

It can drive you nuts.

I know it makes a lot of folks nervous. FWIW the stock indexes are not as reflective of the overall economy as they once were. Right now the USA is the only bright light in the industrial world. A lot of the world is dependent on a strong Chinese economy and it is sputtering. I don't expect this to change anytime soon. The communists won't give into Trump. They will wait him out. It's part of the reason we need USMCA to be ratified. Our biggest trade partners should continue to be our neighbors.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Okay, objectivity.  The economy is not "great".  That's objective.  It's growing, but at less than average and questionably even enough to keep up with population growth.  As far as when Trump took office, that has nothing to do with whether the economy is doing "great" or not -- unless you take an objective comment that the economy is doing "great" as a swipe at the trump.

Full employment is a nice concept, but then a job is not a job.  Rising labor force participation rate is NOT an indication of a healthy economy, or an indication of an unhealthy economy, it's a statistic.  That's objective.

The Fed starting to cut at around 2.25% is a horrible sign.  Here's where you blamed them for not cutting enough...

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,371999.msg2033194.html#msg2033194
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.