Author Topic: Strategy or Straitjacket? Three Reasons Why People Are Still Arguing About the National Defense Str  (Read 254 times)

rangerrebew

Strategy or Straitjacket? Three Reasons Why People Are Still Arguing About the National Defense Strategy
Christopher Dougherty
August 9, 2019

“It feels so weird to not intervene in the Middle East. I know we’re trying to avoid getting sucked in, but it’s hard to say no.” These were the words my colleague uttered during a wargame to inform the development of the National Defense Strategy. He supported a shift toward competition with China and Russia and he knew that repeated operations in the U.S. Central Command area of responsibility would detract from that aim. Nevertheless, eschewing engagement in Mideast crises caused a visceral reaction: “It’s like a toxic relationship — I know it’s bad for me and I know I should say no, but I almost can’t help myself.”

This same cognitive dissonance exists throughout the Pentagon and the broader foreign policy establishment. As evidence, look no further than the desire of some in the national security apparatus to engage in a war of choice with Iran. In light of this, the National Defense Strategy Commission report and an article from earlier this summer by Rick Berger and Mackenzie Eaglen argue that the inability of the Department of Defense to extricate itself physically or mentally from past commitments like the wars in the Middle East is crippling to the National Defense Strategy’s focus on competition with China and Russia.

https://warontherocks.com/2019/08/strategy-or-straitjacket-three-reasons-why-people-are-still-arguing-about-the-national-defense-strategy/
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 11:14:01 am by rangerrebew »