Author Topic: Bill to Require Those Wanting Body Armor to Get FBI Permission  (Read 3851 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
SlickGun News by Chris Eger August 12, 2019

Under Schumer’s measure, those who aren’t law enforcement would need to get a green light from the FBI to get body armor– and show a reason why they need it.

Legislation promised in the U.S. Senate would make the legal sale of body armor a “may issue” process signed off on by federal law enforcement.

U.S. Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-NY, announced his legislation on Sunday to require FBI permission before anyone except law enforcement could buy what he termed “sophisticated body armor,” setting a bar that would require a clear purpose, such as an occupational requirement, for the buyer to seek the safety equipment.

More: https://slickgunsnews.com/bill-to-require-those-wanting-body-armor-to-get-fbi-permission/

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: Bill to Require Those Wanting Body Armor to Get FBI Permission
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 02:51:04 am »
According to Schumer’s office, one study found that 5 percent of a group of 110 active shooters between 2000 and 2012 used body armor.

The only time I can recall it really helping anyone was in the North Hollywood shootout, but that was 1997.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 06:06:56 am »
So for the sake of 5% of mass shooters, they take body armor away from everybody?
WTF is that?

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 06:50:37 am »
Wear a seat belt or get a ticket.

Don't wear "body armor" or get a "ticket".

Maybe Ayn Rand was onto something.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 08:56:16 am »
So for the sake of 5% of mass shooters, they take body armor away from everybody?
WTF is that?
More and softer targets for maniacs and crooks. What about delivery drivers, Armored car security, etc.?

It's the same logic that wants to ban a rifle because less than one in a million was used to shoot up a store.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 08:57:16 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 03:38:32 pm »
According to Schumer’s office, one study found that 5 percent of a group of 110 active shooters between 2000 and 2012 used body armor.

The only time I can recall it really helping anyone was in the North Hollywood shootout, but that was 1997.

And their body armor was home made IIRC.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 03:40:23 pm »
If I want to buy a $65 dollar Level III Kevlar Plate to slip into my backpack that could possibly save me in the event of an attack where I can't get to my gun or I'm not allowed to carry (like when I'm on a cruise) I shouldn't have to go through the suits at the Hoover Building or at the local field office in Denver to get permission.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Online rustynail

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 03:43:40 pm »
Ned Kelly.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 05:33:02 pm »
Why should any citizen be required to get government approval before protecting one's physical person with body armor?    Will government permission soon be required for me to place a lock on my door?   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 05:46:11 pm »
WTF is that?
@roamer_1

Get yours now because the sale of body armor is going to go out of sight.
We were talking about Kevlar backpacks for kids on another thread.  I assume his bill would prevent Kevlar being used for kids' protection in backpacks.

Schumer has protection all around him all the time.  Strip him of all that and put him on the street - he would head to the nearest Kelvlar store for the highest level of Kevlar plus metal inserts vest, plus carry a heavy duty Kevlar backpack  with metal and hold it in front of his face forever.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2019, 05:48:17 pm »
Why should any citizen be required to get government approval before protecting one's physical person with body armor?    Will government permission soon be required for me to place a lock on my door?

If you let them have that power...then yes.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2019, 05:49:47 pm »
If you let them have that power...then yes.

That's right.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2019, 05:53:25 pm »
Get yours now because the sale of body armor is going to go out of sight.

@Victoria33

Nah. I have no need. And if I do, I will make my own.
For instance, rodeo armor is Kevlar. Many industries have adopted Kevlar... I don't think that the raw materials can be regulated... Same with the ceramics...

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2019, 06:22:24 pm »
@Victoria33

Nah. I have no need. And if I do, I will make my own.
For instance, rodeo armor is Kevlar. Many industries have adopted Kevlar...
.. Same with the ceramics...
@roamer_1

"I don't think that the raw materials can be regulated."
Remember, if they can, they will.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2019, 06:30:24 pm »
@roamer_1

"I don't think that the raw materials can be regulated."
Remember, if they can, they will.

@Victoria33
As I said, I have no need... I am seldom where people go, and I am usually where I can step off into the woods... At worst a short ride in the pickup. And if I hit the woods I am gone. Disappeared. And there ain't many with the cajones to follow an armed, pissed off hillbilly into heavy bush, even if he could. Don't y'all worry none.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2019, 07:53:10 pm »
@Victoria33
As I said, I have no need... I am seldom where people go, and I am usually where I can step off into the woods... At worst a short ride in the pickup. And if I hit the woods I am gone. Disappeared. And there ain't many with the cajones to follow an armed, pissed off hillbilly into heavy bush, even if he could. Don't y'all worry none.

If you see a Grizz wearing kevlar.  Run
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2019, 08:03:00 pm »
If you see a Grizz wearing kevlar.  Run

Kevlar don't matter none to a 45/70

888high58888

Offline edpc

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2019, 08:25:05 pm »
Kevlar don't matter none to a 45/70

It won’t penetrate Level III and IIIa soft armor, but the energy transfer would probably incapacitate the wearer.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2019, 08:30:41 pm »

It won’t penetrate Level III and IIIa soft armor, but the energy transfer would probably incapacitate the wearer.

Turning their insides to jello would do that.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2019, 10:08:26 pm »

I ain't no expert, but it is my understanding that any reasonable rifle will penetrate IIIa.

And another objection, particular to 45/70 gov... On the lighter grained  ammunition, you have to be careful what you use, as they use a slow-burn powder to protect against older guns exploding... If it says 'For all rifles' on the package, regardless of the grain advertised, the ammo won't perform to predictable specs... Or at least that is what I have been told.

Likely, whatever reference you are using was with a 300-ish grain, and likely had that slow-burn effect going on...  Try a Horny 410g hard cast ammo and see what you get  ;)

Jussayin.

Offline edpc

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2019, 10:53:28 pm »
I ain't no expert, but it is my understanding that any reasonable rifle will penetrate IIIa.

And another objection, particular to 45/70 gov... On the lighter grained  ammunition, you have to be careful what you use, as they use a slow-burn powder to protect against older guns exploding... If it says 'For all rifles' on the package, regardless of the grain advertised, the ammo won't perform to predictable specs... Or at least that is what I have been told.

Likely, whatever reference you are using was with a 300-ish grain, and likely had that slow-burn effect going on...  Try a Horny 410g hard cast ammo and see what you get  ;)

Jussayin.

You could probably custom load a round that would, but these factory ones didn’t penetrate all the way through. It’d probably still take someone out of the fight, however.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2019, 11:10:52 pm »

You could probably custom load a round that would, but these factory ones didn’t penetrate all the way through. It’d probably still take someone out of the fight, however.

Well the top one is a 1800's trap door - certainly not using hot modern powder.
And the bottom one is a 300grain, like I said.

When I first got my Marlin, I bought up a chunk of Remington 300 grain round tops and went at it... And I was pretty disappointed. I know what a 45/70 should do, but it was only doing marginally better than the 30/30 it replaced. I mean 2" brush would stop it dead... Well I complained about it to a buddy, and he let me in on the weird restricted ammo thing to keep from blowing up older guns... I went with a brand he recommended, and blew a hole through a 5" tree and still hit the target 30 yards beyond... That's what I expected.

That's all I am saying. And yes, there IS that much difference. So I believe my buddy is correct.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2019, 11:41:14 pm »
My only use for factory 45-70 ammo was just to have the brass to reload. There may be some potent factory loads now, but when I started with the 45-70 all the factory ammo was loaded to the Trapdoor pressures of 25,000 c.u.p. I was loading up to 40,000 c.u.p. for my 1895 Marlin. The Hornady manual showed loads for the Ruger #1 at 50,000 c.u.p.

Offline edpc

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2019, 11:49:55 pm »
Well the top one is a 1800's trap door - certainly not using hot modern powder.
And the bottom one is a 300grain, like I said.

When I first got my Marlin, I bought up a chunk of Remington 300 grain round tops and went at it... And I was pretty disappointed. I know what a 45/70 should do, but it was only doing marginally better than the 30/30 it replaced. I mean 2" brush would stop it dead... Well I complained about it to a buddy, and he let me in on the weird restricted ammo thing to keep from blowing up older guns... I went with a brand he recommended, and blew a hole through a 5" tree and still hit the target 30 yards beyond... That's what I expected.

That's all I am saying. And yes, there IS that much difference. So I believe my buddy is correct.

If you increase the weight of the bullet and keep the powder grains the same, you’re decreasing velocity. You’ll be hitting with a cue ball, instead of a baseball, but it still won’t penetrate. You’d be better off with a .17 HMR varmint gun, since low cross section and high velocity is what defeats body armor. That’s why the FN SS190 5.7X28 MM ammo is restricted.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2019, 11:55:35 pm »
I have some level iiia+ (some spike protection) armor, but everyday wear is out of the question, it weighs a freaking ton. That said, like Roamer (and Edpc) pointed out, if shot with something hot, you might still die within a week or so. Some of this new stuff that weighs a lot less is the way to go if getting anything now days. They have stuff out now days that weighs 5 lbs that do near as good a job as what I got years ago. Not kidding, my stuff is a good 30 lbs or 50lbs or so.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 12:07:29 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....