Author Topic: Bill to Require Those Wanting Body Armor to Get FBI Permission  (Read 3850 times)

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Bill to Require Those Wanting Body Armor to Get FBI Permission
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2019, 11:55:47 pm »
SlickGun News by Chris Eger August 12, 2019

Under Schumer’s measure, those who aren’t law enforcement would need to get a green light from the FBI to get body armor– and show a reason why they need it.

@Elderberry

Just out of curiousity,does this include congresscritters and their running dog buttpals,US Senators?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2019, 11:57:47 pm »
  Will government permission soon be required for me to place a lock on my door?

@Jazzhead

Yes,you will,comrade. Take cheer! If you ever lose your key,the local cops will have a copy.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2019, 12:03:51 am »

If you increase the weight of the bullet and keep the powder grains the same, you’re decreasing velocity. You’ll be hitting with a cue ball, instead of a baseball, but it still won’t penetrate. You’d be better off with a .17 HMR varmint gun, since low cross section and high velocity is what defeats body armor. That’s why the FN SS190 5.7X28 MM ammo is restricted.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

@edpc

Penetration ain't everything. If you hit someone in the center of his chest with a 400 grain hard cast flatpoint bullet fired at 50,000 CUP it's going to crush his rib cage and stop his heart.

You do make an excellent point about the uber-velocity 17 caliber spire point solids,though. I doubt there is a bulletproof vest they won't go through and barely slow down.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2019, 12:17:05 am »
@edpc

Penetration ain't everything. If you hit someone in the center of his chest with a 400 grain hard cast flatpoint bullet fired at 50,000 CUP it's going to crush his rib cage and stop his heart.

You do make an excellent point about the uber-velocity 17 caliber spire point solids,though. I doubt there is a bulletproof vest they won't go through and barely slow down.

Penetration matters a lot. As an example, would you rather take your chances with getting hit in the chest with a sledgehammer or stabbed in the heart/lungs with a scratch awl? If not for the proximity of GW Hospital, the .22 that ricocheted off the door would have killed Reagan.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2019, 12:23:10 am »
That's why they sell Armor Plates.

Level IV SA rifle plate constructed of Ceramic/Composite material. NIJ 2005 IR Certified to stop level IV threats. Fits into the rifle plate pocket of your plate carrier, tactical entry vest, or compatible overt body armor carrier.

Ballistic Rounds Tested

7.62x39mm M67 (FMJ Ball)
7.62x39mm M43 (MSC)
7.62x39mm API
7.62x51mm (M-80 Ball)
7.62x51mm (M61 AP)
7.62x54R (LPS)
7.62x54R B-32-API
5.56x45mm (M193 Ball)
5.56x45mm (M855/ SS109)
7.62x63mm - JSP

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2019, 12:25:14 am »
According to Schumer’s office, one study found that 5 percent of a group of 110 active shooters between 2000 and 2012 used body armor.

The only time I can recall it really helping anyone was in the North Hollywood shootout, but that was 1997.
Yeah I think it helped them until the cops started going for their ankles instead of body shots.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2019, 01:13:47 am »
My only use for factory 45-70 ammo was just to have the brass to reload. There may be some potent factory loads now, but when I started with the 45-70 all the factory ammo was loaded to the Trapdoor pressures of 25,000 c.u.p. I was loading up to 40,000 c.u.p. for my 1895 Marlin. The Hornady manual showed loads for the Ruger #1 at 50,000 c.u.p.

That's right, and probably what my buddy was saying. He said they used a slow burn powder to more or less mimic old school pressures. He reckoned it to a blowgun... blowing a pre-pressured short hard burst as hard as you can, versus just blowing into it as hard as you can... The short burst is going to be far more effective.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2019, 01:28:23 am »

If you increase the weight of the bullet and keep the powder grains the same, you’re decreasing velocity. You’ll be hitting with a cue ball, instead of a baseball, but it still won’t penetrate. You’d be better off with a .17 HMR varmint gun, since low cross section and high velocity is what defeats body armor. That’s why the FN SS190 5.7X28 MM ammo is restricted.

I will cede, as it ain't my purpose anyhow. What I want is a fat piece of lead that will go though brush without deflection and end up hitting what I want, knocking it down right there.. High velocity is the last thing I want in that scenario. As far as I am concerned that 45/70 is king for brush and saddle. And everything I poke a hole in with it stays put.

Offline edpc

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2019, 01:53:49 am »
I will cede, as it ain't my purpose anyhow. What I want is a fat piece of lead that will go though brush without deflection and end up hitting what I want, knocking it down right there.. High velocity is the last thing I want in that scenario. As far as I am concerned that 45/70 is king for brush and saddle. And everything I poke a hole in with it stays put.

I agree. The .45-70 is a good round for a lot of things. It’s why I purchased an 1895 GBL this past spring. If I had to bug out somewhere, however, I can’t take everything with me. In a survival situation, I’d probably stick with my AR-10 and 1911. The ammo is easier to find and the calibers are effective. The suburbs of KCK isn’t the frontier, so I’d face different challenges.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2019, 02:08:49 am »

I agree. The .45-70 is a good round for a lot of things. It’s why I purchased an 1895 GBL this past spring. If I had to bug out somewhere, however, I can’t take everything with me. In a survival situation, I’d probably stick with my AR-10 and 1911. The ammo is easier to find and the calibers are effective. The suburbs of KCK isn’t the frontier, so I’d face different challenges.

I am going back to colt45 for that reason - availability for brass and rounds up in the woods if I need to...

I would be hard pressed to take either the 45/70 or the 30/30... Probably one or the other... though the 30/30 rounds are probably more available.  Actually, what would probably be best is a 410 single shot with a range of shells and a barrel insert for a .22LR... Other than for people and griz. Survival-wise, I mean... I've already got big iron and rounds cached up there, but I don't thing that's all that good on the carry... I would assume to be sticking to brush and trying not to make noise... So that 410 and a break-down bow would be of greater use.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2019, 10:07:21 am »
If I want to buy a $65 dollar Level III Kevlar Plate to slip into my backpack that could possibly save me in the event of an attack where I can't get to my gun or I'm not allowed to carry (like when I'm on a cruise) I shouldn't have to go through the suits at the Hoover Building or at the local field office in Denver to get permission.
Bad enough these bungwipes want to tell what you can carry, now they want to dictate what you can wear.

What's next? Work boots? Sneakers? Ho Chi Minh Sandals?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2019, 10:08:38 am »
I am going back to colt45 for that reason - availability for brass and rounds up in the woods if I need to...

I would be hard pressed to take either the 45/70 or the 30/30... Probably one or the other... though the 30/30 rounds are probably more available.  Actually, what would probably be best is a 410 single shot with a range of shells and a barrel insert for a .22LR... Other than for people and griz. Survival-wise, I mean... I've already got big iron and rounds cached up there, but I don't thing that's all that good on the carry... I would assume to be sticking to brush and trying not to make noise... So that 410 and a break-down bow would be of greater use.
I have taken whitetails with .410 rifled slugs (one shot kills). It'd seem a mite anemic for Griz, but better than birdshot...

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2019, 10:52:34 am »
Bad enough these bungwipes want to tell what you can carry, now they want to dictate what you can wear.

@Smokin Joe it’s all about denial of self defense and the ability of a person to protect themselves.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2019, 12:05:39 pm »
@Smokin Joe it’s all about denial of self defense and the ability of a person to protect themselves.
They want to make us all dependent slaves, just like the welfare moms. How's that 'protection' thing going in the inner cities (Chicago, New Orleans, Baltimore, Detroit, NYC, SF...etc.)?

C S Lewis

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2019, 12:18:58 pm »

Approved haircuts?
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2019, 12:42:00 pm »
I have taken whitetails with .410 rifled slugs (one shot kills). It'd seem a mite anemic for Griz, but better than birdshot...

Yeah. I have knocked a deer with a 410 too, and a .22LR (stinger)... I would be fairly confident with a pistol even... It ain't what you got, it's where you put it... :)

To a degree anyhoo... Would not admire trying such things against bigger game - elk or moose... and certainly not bear, not to mention griz. It's still where you put it, but placement becomes all the more important, because the risk is far greater. To the animal and to me. Consequences for failure are not worth the risk.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 12:44:42 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2019, 01:02:33 pm »
@Victoria33
As I said, I have no need... I am seldom where people go, and I am usually where I can step off into the woods... At worst a short ride in the pickup. And if I hit the woods I am gone. Disappeared. And there ain't many with the cajones to follow an armed, pissed off hillbilly into heavy bush, even if he could. Don't y'all worry none.
@roamer_1

You and I were going to get married.  I am glad we called that off because I could not live in the woods.   wink777

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2019, 01:04:45 pm »
It won’t penetrate Level III and IIIa soft armor, but the energy transfer would probably incapacitate the wearer.
@edpc

I don't know about these levels.  Please explain these levels - what they mean.  Thanks, edpc.

Offline edpc

« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2019, 01:15:30 pm »
@edpc

I don't know about these levels.  Please explain these levels - what they mean.  Thanks, edpc.

@Victoria33

Here’s a reference chart.

https://www.justnet.org/pdf/Understanding-Armor-Protection.pdf

Offline Victoria33

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2019, 01:20:35 pm »
@roamer_1

You and I were going to get married.  I am glad we called that off because I could not live in the woods.   wink777

@Victoria33
Yeah... And draggin your old man around would make it kinda awkward...  :shrug:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2019, 01:25:18 pm »
They want to make us all dependent slaves, just like the welfare moms. How's that 'protection' thing going in the inner cities (Chicago, New Orleans, Baltimore, Detroit, NYC, SF...etc.)?

I think this picture might give some indication as to the answer to that question @Smokin Joe.

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2019, 01:28:09 pm »

@txradioguy @Smokin Joe

Close,but not quite there.

What it is REALLY about is the establishment of a world-wide fascist-communist system that controls every aspect of the masses minds and actions. No detail of your life is too trivial for them to control it. What they want is flesh-machines to mindlessly do their bidding so the world is safe and comfortable for them and their familes.

This is raw POWER,so far advanced over mere finances that money isn't even an issue. If you have the kind of power they are seeking,you don't even need money because anything and everything you want or need is already yours. All you have to do is ask for it,and your minions will deliver it to you.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 01:29:12 pm by sneakypete »

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2019, 01:30:03 pm »

@Smokin Joe

And there you have it.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2019, 01:32:26 pm »

@Smokin Joe

And there you have it.

@sneakypete and with their overt threats yesterday to the SCOTUS over how they intend to rule in the NYSRA v. City of New York case shows the lengths (so far) that they're wiling to go to make us dependent slaves.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!