Author Topic: Trump administration tightens rule that could deny green cards, citizenship to immigrants who need p  (Read 1925 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Trump administration tightens rule that could deny green cards, citizenship to immigrants who need public assistance
Washington Post, Aug 12, 2019

Legal immigrants who use public benefits — such as Medicaid, food stamps or housing assistance — could have a tougher time obtaining a green card or U.S. citizenship under a policy change announced Monday that is at the center of the Trump administration’s effort to reduce immigration.

The new policy for “Inadmissibility on Public Charge Grounds,” which appeared Monday on the Federal Register’s website and will take effect in two months, sets new standards for obtaining permanent residency and U.S. citizenship. The Trump administration has been seeking to limit those immigrants who might draw on taxpayer-funded benefits, such as many of those who have been fleeing Central America, while allowing more highly skilled and wealthy immigrants into the United States.

Wealth, education, age and English-language skills will take on greater importance in the process for obtaining a green card, as the change seeks to redefine what it means to be a “public charge,” as well as who is likely to be one under U.S. immigration law.

Ken Cuccinelli, the acting director of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, told reporters at a White House briefing that his agency is moving to more clearly define a long-standing element of U.S. immigration law.

“Through the public charge rule, President Trump’s administration is reinforcing the ideals of self-sufficiency and personal responsibility, ensuring that immigrants are able to support themselves and become successful here in America,” Cuccinelli said.

Read more:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/immigration/trump-administration-aims-to-make-citizenship-more-difficult-for-immigrants-who-rely-on-public-assistance/2019/08/12/fe3f8162-b565-11e9-8949-5f36ff92706e_story.html?noredirect=on

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Donald J. Trump Retweeted

The White House‏
Verified account  @WhiteHouse

JUST ANNOUNCED: President @realDonaldTrump will enforce a Clinton-era law to ensure that non-citizens do not abuse our public benefit programs and jeopardize the safety net needed by vulnerable Americans.

President Donald J. Trump is Ensuring Non-Citizens Do Not Abuse Our Nation’s Public Benefit
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/president-donald-j-trump-ensuring-non-citizens-not-abuse-nations-public-benefit/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=wh

9:55 AM - 12 Aug 2019

https://twitter.com/WhiteHouse/status/1160957878188105728

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Obama appointed Federal judge putting the brakes to this in 3...2...1...
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline skeeter

Hilarious listening to the pearl clutching reportage on this issue. Like asking immigrants to pay their own way is an outrageous & controversial proposition. More evidence of Trump's racism!

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
I envy the immigration policies of those countries who have merit-based immigration.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
I agree with this, but talk is cheap.  If the judge says no what will Trump do?  Get together with Nancy for a bigger spending bill?
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline verga

Liberal heads exploding in 3,2,1,.....
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

rangerrebew

White House Approves Rule That Penalizes Immigrants Who Use Public Benefits
DCwire
By Daily Caller

Jason Hopkins on August 12, 2019

The Trump administration announced a new “public charge” rule on Monday, which takes into account immigrants’ use of government benefits when deciding whether to award them permanent status.

“President Trump has delivered on his promise to the American people to enforce long-standing immigration law by defining the public charge inadmissibility ground that has been on the books for years,” U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Acting Director Ken Cuccinelli said Monday when revealing the rule change. “Through the enforcement of the public charge inadmissibility law, we will promote these long-standing ideals and immigrant success.”

https://thepoliticalinsider.com/white-house-approves-rule-that-penalizes-immigrants-who-use-public-benefits/?utm_campaign=TPI08122019PM&utm_source=TPI08122019PM&utm_medium=email&utm_content=4371d3fdbb69c3b8a6473c7b9fa19141&source=CI
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 11:27:30 am by rangerrebew »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
I agree with this, but talk is cheap.  If the judge says no what will Trump do?  Get together with Nancy for a bigger spending bill?

Appeal it.  That's how the system works.  We may not like it, but it's the same process that ended up with courts stopping some of Obama's overreach.

Offline Chosen Daughter

Appeal it.  That's how the system works.  We may not like it, but it's the same process that ended up with courts stopping some of Obama's overreach.

Except that this isn't overreach.  What the courts have been doing is politically motivated not based on law.  We could tie up his entire presidency waiting for appeals on every action even though they were fully within his authority to make.  He needs to start playing hardball.  If they stop this the money must be cut for social spending.  Not more money allocated to it.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"

Except that this isn't overreach.  What the courts have been doing is politically motivated not based on law.  We could tie up his entire presidency waiting for appeals on every action even though they were fully within his authority to make.  He needs to start playing hardball.  If they stop this the money must be cut for social spending.  Not more money allocated to it.

Is your idea of hardball for him to tell Executive Branch employees to ignore those court orders?

Offline Chosen Daughter

Is your idea of hardball for him to tell Executive Branch employees to ignore those court orders?

Some people much smarter than I have advocated that.  But at the very least no more trillion dollar spending bills signed by the President.  He has the power of the pen and he hasn't used it.  He has given the Nancy Chuck show everything they wanted while the Democratic party has stone walled every effort to secure this nation.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

In my case, the answer is HELL yes! And require the DOJ to defend them for so doing.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Sounds like all Trump wants to do is what was law when my parents legally immigrated in 1950, they were required to take and sign a oath to neither seek or accept any government aid/monies for five years under penalty of deportation. Why was this OK when arguably the majority of immigrants were European/Caucasian but now it is Bad JuJu when we are talking about illegal immigrants, arguably the majority of which are Hispanic..............unskilled, illiterate, disease carriers?