Author Topic: THE DISASTROUS ECONOMICS OF TRYING TO POWER AN ELECTRICAL GRID WITH 100% INTERMITTENT RENEWABLES  (Read 6149 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

The effort to increase the percentage of electricity generated by intermittent renewable sources like wind and solar inevitably brings about large increases in the actual price of electricity that must be paid by consumers. The price increases grow and accelerate as the percentage of electricity generated from the intermittent renewables increases toward 100 percent.  These statements may seem counterintuitive, given that the cost of fuel for wind and solar generation is zero. However, simple modeling shows the reason for the seemingly counterintuitive outcome: the need for large and increasing amounts of costly backup and storage – things that are not needed at all in conventional fossil-fuel-based systems.  And it is not only from modeling that we know that such cost increases would be inevitable.  We also have actual and growing experience from those few jurisdictions that have attempted to generate more and more of their electricity from these renewables.  This empirical experience proves the truth of the rising consumer price proposition.

In those jurisdictions that have succeeded in getting generation from renewables up to as high as about 30% of their total electricity supply, the result has been an approximate tripling in the price of electricity for their consumers. The few (basically experimental) jurisdictions that have gotten generation from renewables even higher than that have had even greater cost increases, for relatively minor increases in generation from renewables. As the percentage of electricity coming from renewables increases, the consumer price increases accelerate.

Article ends with
The study’s lead author commented that“[d]iversity of supply is an essential bedrock for security and reliability for an electric power system that is as big and diverse—and as crucially important—as that of the United States.”See http://news.ihsmarkit.com/print/node/23497

Moreover, policies that promote increased use of wind and solar would likely result in little to no reduction in the level of electric sector CO2 emissions:

Ironically, addressing climate change concerns with federal and state policies to subsidize and mandate wind and solar electric generation produced the unintended consequence of distorting wholesale electricity market clearing prices and driving the uneconomic closure of nuclear power plants—a zero-emitting source. The result has been some power system CO2 emissions remaining constant or increasing, …

https://www.manhattancontrarian.com/the-disastrous-economics-of-trying-to-power
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
In those jurisdictions that have succeeded in getting generation from renewables up to as high as about 30% of their total electricity supply, the result has been an approximate tripling in the price of electricity for their consumers. The few (basically experimental) jurisdictions that have gotten generation from renewables even higher than that have had even greater cost increases, for relatively minor increases in generation from renewables. As the percentage of electricity coming from renewables increases, the consumer price increases accelerate.

All one needs to know right there as far as I'm concerned @IsailedawayfromFR.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

All one needs to know right there as far as I'm concerned @IsailedawayfromFR.
When one looks at what is best for the consumer like that article did, the results will never ever favor renewables.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
When one looks at what is best for the consumer like that article did, the results will never ever favor renewables.

It has been stated here many times before but without government interference, those renewables would disappear very quickly. 
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online roamer_1

As defined, you're right... Other means may present... And I am somewhat open to that - providing that feasibility is not artificially arranged... I am all for alt energy where it can stand on it's own. And I really like energy becoming more distributed - Solar with Grid as an example - the two together would be distributed yet robust, which makes it hard to knock all the way out, and should wind up cheaper, with unused energy sold to the grid offsetting residential cost...

It ain't there yet. But it is getting closer.

As defined, you're right... Other means may present... And I am somewhat open to that - providing that feasibility is not artificially arranged... I am all for alt energy where it can stand on it's own. And I really like energy becoming more distributed - Solar with Grid as an example - the two together would be distributed yet robust, which makes it hard to knock all the way out, and should wind up cheaper, with unused energy sold to the grid offsetting residential cost...

It ain't there yet. But it is getting closer.
It will remain non-competitive economically as long as this is happening. 

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,371891.msg2031417.html#msg2031417

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
They are going backwards with hydro. Hydro is probably the least developed energy source.

There are a lot of dams in this country that could be producing electricity, but aren't.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
I don't think hydro is considered a renewable energy source.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline thackney

Hydro power is a renewable energy source.

There are places where wind and solar are used economically without subsidy.  Don't blame a technology for how politics have misused it.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

I don't think hydro is considered a renewable energy source.

Yes, hydro is a renewable energy source.

https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/?page=renewable_home

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer

Offline thackney

I haven't kept up. But a few years ago, the enviros were hellbent on saying it wasn't.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=18&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwik9IjD6v_jAhXSJzQIHdPZDLMQFjARegQIARAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.linkedin.com%2Fpulse%2F20140710135110-294192772-why-hydroelectric-power-isn-t-considered-renewable&usg=AOvVaw36CkM_wzFCtz3vILoSk928

Why Hydroelectric Power Isn’t Considered Renewable
Published on July 10, 2014

https://ivn.us/2011/04/26/bizarrely-enough-hydropower-not-considered-renewable-energy-california/

Bizarrely enough, hydropower not considered renewable energy in California
by Bob Morris, published Apr 26, 2011

It is more a case of the government trying to force increased efficiencies and growing the resource in more public acceptable steps.

If you are interested, read from the current RPS eligibility guidebook explaining how larger hydropower facilities can also qualify to be counted in the CA list of meeting their mandated renewables.

https://www.energy.ca.gov/programs-and-topics/programs/renewables-portfolio-standard

Hydro power is a renewable energy source.

There are places where wind and solar are used economically without subsidy.  Don't blame a technology for how politics have misused it.
not having a subsidy does not qualify energy as more economic than any other.

Where did you get that idea?

And hydropower is definitely not on the renewables crowd's preferred list.

Finally, guess what? Hydrocarbons and nuclear can be classified as renewable as well.  Who can dispute they are not?

Offline thackney

not having a subsidy does not qualify energy as more economic than any other.

Where did you get that idea?

Where did I say that?

And hydropower is definitely not on the renewables crowd's preferred list.

I'm not claiming the eviroMENTALists prefer it.

Finally, guess what? Hydrocarbons and nuclear can be classified as renewable as well.  Who can dispute they are not?

I'm not sure about nuclear, but hydrocarbons are, technically just solar power stored in chemical form.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
We could put solar, wind, and hydro everywhere and we still couldn't generate even a respectable fraction of the gigawatts needed to serve the current load.

That's the bottom line disasterous economics of alternative energy.
The Republic is lost.

Offline thackney

We could put solar, wind, and hydro everywhere and we still couldn't generate even a respectable fraction of the gigawatts needed to serve the current load.

Almost 20%, is that respectable?  Just a bit behind Nuclear.

Online roamer_1

That's more right than not @Free Vulcan , but there is another aspect - Robustness is hard to have without the rigid grid. But alt energy offers distribution and redundancy. It is pretty easy to knock out a power station, but if every home had solar too, losing the grid for a while would be less painful...

And I know how unreliable solar is - If I nail down my current adventure, I will be building a fully off grid cabin, using solar and hydro for power. I get it.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
That's more right than not @Free Vulcan , but there is another aspect - Robustness is hard to have without the rigid grid. But alt energy offers distribution and redundancy. It is pretty easy to knock out a power station, but if every home had solar too, losing the grid for a while would be less painful...

And I know how unreliable solar is - If I nail down my current adventure, I will be building a fully off grid cabin, using solar and hydro for power. I get it.

And IMO that's where alternative should stay - in the off grid home market. Expensive yes, but if being disconnected and/or unreliant on the grid is a priority, that is where it's most valuable.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
Almost 20%, is that respectable?  Just a bit behind Nuclear.

Not really considering that most of it is subsidized.

But that aside, being that we already have wind and solar in the prime spots, everything that would come after that would be diminishing marginal returns. Not economically speaking, but in terms of power generation.

There would come that point where you would put solar in say, Seattle and barely bump up the generation capacity because it's so cloudy and rainy there. Or some place like Florida for wind.

You'd arrive at that plateau point long before you'd cover demand.

So do I call it respectable, in terms of base load reliability? No.
The Republic is lost.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
The Untapped Potential of America's Hydroelectric Power

https://www.citylab.com/environment/2015/11/hydroelectric-power-energy-dams/416910/

Constructing new dams is highly difficult, both for the capital costs of the actual construction and because they impose massive changes on a river’s ecosystem. But the vast majority of existing dams in the U.S.—more than 90 percent, or 80,000 dams—don’t produce electricity. They just hold back water, which can be useful for things like flood control, irrigation, and navigation.

From a 160 page PDF: https://energy.gov/sites/.../Hydropower-Vision-Chapter-2-10212016.pdf

Hydropower Vision Report Chapter 2 - Department of Energy

Hydropower is the primary source of renewable energy generation in the United States, delivering 48% of total renewable electricity sector generation in 2015, and roughly 62% of total cumulative renewable generation over the past decade (2006-2015) [1].

Hi @DeerSlayer

Something fun for you to think about.

Offline Joe Wooten

The Untapped Potential of America's Hydroelectric Power

https://www.citylab.com/environment/2015/11/hydroelectric-power-energy-dams/416910/

Constructing new dams is highly difficult, both for the capital costs of the actual construction and because they impose massive changes on a river’s ecosystem. But the vast majority of existing dams in the U.S.—more than 90 percent, or 80,000 dams—don’t produce electricity. They just hold back water, which can be useful for things like flood control, irrigation, and navigation.

From a 160 page PDF: https://energy.gov/sites/.../Hydropower-Vision-Chapter-2-10212016.pdf

Hydropower Vision Report Chapter 2 - Department of Energy

Hydropower is the primary source of renewable energy generation in the United States, delivering 48% of total renewable electricity sector generation in 2015, and roughly 62% of total cumulative renewable generation over the past decade (2006-2015) [1].

Hi @DeerSlayer

Something fun for you to think about.

Most of those dams are on intermittent runoff creeks. not enough constant flow to justify a hydro unit.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
And IMO that's where alternative should stay - in the off grid home market. Expensive yes, but if being disconnected and/or unreliant on the grid is a priority, that is where it's most valuable.

Someone is building a huge data server farm near me.  It will be powered by a system of solar panels, the plan is to take no power from a grid.  This place has about 350 days of sunshine per year.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Hoodat

I get your point on hydrocarbons, but I don't buy in to the 'oil came from dinosaurs' mantra.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

I haven't kept up. But a few years ago, the enviros were hellbent on saying it wasn't.

The leftist envirowackos don't want hydro to be classified as "renewable" because it will make it much harder for them to tear down dams.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline thackney

I get your point on hydrocarbons, but I don't buy in to the 'oil came from dinosaurs' mantra.

Mostly algea, plankton and the like buried away from oxygen in the sediment.  From the "dinosaur age", it was just an ad campaign.