Author Topic: Hong Kong/Mainland China Crisis thread  (Read 19564 times)

Offline skeeter

Re: Hong Kong/Mainland China Crisis thread
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2019, 08:59:22 pm »
Drudge:

UK, from Farage in the OP to their Government do seem to be actively condemning this, I believe Canada did as well.

Looks like a "kinder and gentler crackdown" from Tiananmen, I will say, it looks like most are student aged protesters.
Protests involving only students & young people do not worry the commie leadership so much.

When the middle aged join them they will become concerned.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2019, 09:00:07 pm »
Gordon G. Chang
@GordonGChang
Prez #Trump's words on #HongKong are uninspiring. He's undoubtedly been advised not to aggravate #XiJinping. Unfortunately, there's no way to placate Xi. He has made us #China's enemy, and there's no turning back for him. It's time for us to stand with those who demand freedom.
3:42 PM · Aug 13, 2019·Twitter for iPhone

https://twitter.com/GordonGChang/status/1161377430113869825

Trump should probably say things like this:

Marco Rubio
@marcorubio
#China’s escalating threats against #HongKong is not an “internal matter”,it’s a blatant violation of commitment to Hong Kong’s autonomy Beijing made in an international treaty

And given their history of repression,Chinese troops massed on border is cause for grave concern

https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1161360974072471557

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2019, 09:47:53 pm »
Trump could get together some sort of alliance & issue a loud reminder of the promises the Chicoms made to the UK re: HK at the handover (and are currently violating) and the international prestige they are risking by their threats of violent resolution.

In that case it needs to be a strongly worded joint statement by Trump and Boris Johnson.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2019, 10:28:45 pm »
@TomSea can you link us to a good site that has "live coverage" of what is unfolding?

Offline TomSea

« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2019, 11:02:24 pm »
@EdJames

It's 6:52 AM there, so they are about 12 hours ahead of us, Here seems to be some news feeds:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Agenda Free TV:

https://www.theepochtimes.com/c-china

Anyone else have any ideas? We will see how this works.

SCMP, South China Morning Post seems to have some objective articles. It is from Hong Kong, it was established in 1903, the newspaper of record. Maybe they have some objectivity after all:

Refuse Hong Kong’s protesters everything, and they will fight to the bitter end

This is not a storm that Carrie Lam’s administration can sit out. Deny the protesters everything and we force them to fight the current political order to the death, in nihilistic destruction, convinced they have nothing to lose

https://www.scmp.com/comment/opinion/article/3022168/refuse-hong-kongs-protesters-everything-and-they-will-fight-bitter

« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 11:38:17 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2019, 11:10:35 pm »
David Lampton
The US has a role to play in the escalating Hong Kong crisis – as a moderating force

Washington is not the ‘black hand’ Beijing believes it to be. But neither should it wash its hands of the crisis, as Trump has apparently done
    However limited its role, the US should be urging restraint on all sides and highlighting the credible repercussions beyond Hong Kong of any crackdown

David Lampton

Published: 2:00am, 14 Aug, 2019

Updated: 3:26am, 14 Aug, 2019

Illustration: Craig Stephens

In the past six weeks, I have been in mainland China, Hong Kong (three times), and Washington. From these trips and recent developments, I have concluded that Hong Kong is a huge tragedy in the making. Proactive and positive moves by all parties to this rapidly deteriorating situation are required.

Though Washington is not a principal party in these developments, it should be a constructive force rather than irrelevant or counterproductive.

The elements of the current crisis are many. In Hong Kong, there is a leaderless movement on the ground. There are rising levels of political
and socio-economic frustration among many Hong Kong citizens stemming from mobility and economic considerations, as well as perceptions of political retrogression
in the special administrative region.

Read more at: https://www.scmp.com/comment/opinion/article/3022537/us-has-role-play-escalating-hong-kong-crisis-moderating-force

Attached to above, "China Welcomes Trump's Remarks"

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

That's pretty straightforward, I read on one of these links that there is a free press for now there.

Hong Kong Free Press seems to have an adequate twitter feed: https://twitter.com/HongKongFP

Hopefully, this will be like other times, when everyone raises a complaint and then, he acts on it. Who's advising him?

Gordon Chang also brought up this point: https://twitter.com/GordonGChang
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 11:14:48 pm by TomSea »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2019, 11:17:19 pm »
Intense scenes as Hong Kong airport descends into chaos; American flag emerges as symbol of hope and freedom
BPR, Aug 13, 2019

Armed with pepper spray and batons, riot police are trying to restore order but the protesters are fighting back, as seen in a wild incident caught on camera.

A lone officer is seen trying to apprehend an apparent protester when the mob suddenly turns on him. They manage to get his baton away from him and begin hitting the officer with it. The desperate officer managed to pull his weapon, causing the crowd to disperse.

Other police officers are then seen rushing to his aid as the video comes to an end.

Video shows police storming the airport and reporters say some protesters are being hit on the head as others are being taken away.

President Donald Trump took to Twitter Tuesday afternoon to say Chinese troops are mobilizing, calling for everyone to remain calm.

“Our Intelligence has informed us that the Chinese Government is moving troops to the Border with Hong Kong. Everyone should be calm and safe!” Trump tweeted.

The United States of America serves as inspiration for Hong Kong residents who are demanding more freedom to govern their lives.

More:  https://www.bizpacreview.com/2019/08/13/intense-scenes-as-hong-kong-airport-descends-into-chaos-american-flag-emerges-as-symbol-of-hope-and-freedom-785214

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2019, 11:18:20 pm »
Some pretty intense video that easily could have escalated into fatalities.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Birdyword/status/1161299001414578177
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 11:20:10 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2019, 11:20:58 pm »
Donald J. Trump‏
Verified account  @realDonaldTrump

Our Intelligence has informed us that the Chinese Government is moving troops to the Border with Hong Kong. Everyone should be calm and safe!

10:17 AM - 13 Aug 2019

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1161325870516264961

Donald J. Trump Retweeted

Sean Hannity
‏Verified account  @seanhannity

**BREAKING NOW**

BREAKING NEWS NOW: Chinese Riot Police Storm Hong Kong International Airport

https://twitter.com/seanhannity/status/1161321695606648833

Offline EdJames

« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2019, 11:31:13 pm »
Thanks @TomSea, appreciate all of the links!!

Offline TomSea

« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2019, 11:41:34 pm »
Some pretty intense video that easily could have escalated into fatalities.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Birdyword/status/1161299001414578177

Yes, amazing video, I had not seen that.

Quite a bit on twitter with hashtags, #HongKong and I'm sure with #hongkongprotests maybe Hong_Kong ... I'm actually liking twitter for a lot of this, more localized coverage, people who are there. I rarely engage in debate or anything, just finding news on things.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2019, 11:43:42 pm »
That last video posted by edpc , this is why in some senses, it doesn't look to me, like some HK police really have this heart in the matter. I don't know, the police could be a lot more brutal. Maybe that's a silly thing to say. Beware if the Red Army or their henchmen shows up, that's what I think.

That Hong Kong Free Press twitter showed some sort of law enforcement though, with the flag of China (PRC)... I think he was wearing an olive green uniform.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 11:46:34 pm by TomSea »

Offline edpc

« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2019, 11:53:36 pm »
That last video posted by edpc , this is why in some senses, it doesn't look to me, like some HK police really have this heart in the matter. I don't know, the police could be a lot more brutal. Maybe that's a silly thing to say. Beware if the Red Army or their henchmen shows up, that's what I think.

That is probably the difference - the police are Hong Kong residents, whereas the mainland Chinese military has no ties to the people.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2019, 12:05:40 am »
Say something like this, a lot of people are saying the right thing. And in a tweet? Something.

Kevin McCarthy
@GOPLeader
·
1h
To the thousands of young people in Hong Kong who are speaking UP for human rights and speaking OUT against the Communist Party of China: we see you waving the American flag, and we hear you singing our national anthem.

America stands for freedom. America stands with Hong Kong.

https://twitter.com/GOPLeader/status/1161402162733187072

Lindsay Graham:

Lindsey Graham
@LindseyGrahamSC
·
5h
30 years after Tiananmen Square all Americans stand with the peaceful protesters in Hong Kong. 

These protests highlight the moral authority of their demands for Freedom and Democracy

This is becoming a defining moment for US-China relations.

https://twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1161352799973773314

Though, I think I do realize this is a complex matter.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2019, 12:09:03 am »
Washington Insider
Latest Headlines and BREAKING NEWS Alerts!
Why isn’t Trump speaking out more about the Hong Kong protests?
By: Joe Stewart   On: August 13, 2019   In: Politics

If you wish to reply that by saying, “As a result of talking out wouldn’t accomplish something,” okay. Phrases with out the specter of U.S. navy pressure behind them aren’t going to vary a international authorities’s calculations about how one can deal with a preferred rebellion.

However we hammered Obama fairly exhausting in 2009 when he stored a low profile throughout Iran’s Inexperienced Revolution although there was no prospect of American navy intervention there. If nothing else, Trump reminding Beijing that the eyes of the world are upon Hong Kong might enhance stress on them to indicate restraint and enhance stress on European nations to punish China if a bloodbath ensues.

And the pundit-in-chief usually doesn’t want a strategic purpose to spout off on Twitter about one thing. He’ll lash out gratuitously if he regards you as an enemy, as Anthony Scaramucci and Chris Cuomo have every been reminded throughout the previous 24 hours or so. China occurs to be Trump’s designated archenemy internationally, a rising superpower with whom we’re already locked in a deepening commerce conflict. It’s … not like him to go on an opportunity to use an enemy’s embarrassment, however that’s what he’s doing proper now by holding a low profile in regards to the large protests.

More: https://www.thewashingtoninsider.com/why-isnt-trump-speaking-out-more-about-the-hong-kong-protests/

Washington Insider, I know little about their editorial views, just posting this.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2019, 12:13:12 am »
Nice to see Trump standing up for freedom.

Oh, wait, .....

Offline edpc

« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2019, 12:25:39 am »
Latest Headlines and BREAKING NEWS Alerts!
Why isn’t Trump speaking out more about the Hong Kong protests?
By: Joe Stewart   On: August 13, 2019   In: Politics

It’s very simple: Siding with Hong Kong does not give him anything, with his base. Leaving them hanging out to dry doesn’t lose anything with them, either. Securing a trade deal scores big points with them, while abandoning the trade deal in favor of Hong Kong protesters is a loser.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2019, 12:29:00 am »
Nice to see Trump standing up for freedom.

Oh, wait, .....

Too busy freeing law breaking rappers from Nordic countries....    :cool:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2019, 12:31:14 am »
Too busy freeing law breaking rappers from Nordic countries....    :cool:

And making sure all those Epstein conspiracy theories get properly tweeted about. 

Offline DB

« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2019, 01:01:08 am »
Nearly every President is tested by a serious geopolitical situation.

So far Trump is failing his. This is where the rubber meets the road with long term consequences for millions of people.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2019, 01:22:42 am »
CNN Updates, Drudge has that up, @EdJames

https://www.cnn.com/asia/live-news/hong-kong-protests-airport-chaos-intl-hnk/index.html

Probably the kinds of updates one wants without having video news on.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2019, 01:38:22 am »
Canada, not every Chinese-American or Chinese Canadian is against the Beijing Govt. I think a similar situation has occurred in the SF area of California.

Former Liberal Minister supports Communist China over pro-democracy Hong Kong
Dylan Gibbons, 16 mins ago 2 min read 

The Hong Kong protests began in early March 2019 after an extradition bill was submitted to Hong Kong’s legislature in February. The proposed bill would amend Hong Kong’s legal system to allow for the extradition of accused persons to face charges in Chinese courts.

This would effectively undermine Hong Kong’s status as a Special Administrative Region within China—one which has been promised a degree of autonomy and self-determination before being absorbed into China in 2047.

The continued push for the bill to become law has led to hundreds of thousands of Hongkongers—if not millions at this point—to take to the streets and protest Chinese interference in Hong Kong’s legal system. This has evolved over time into a full-blown pro-democracy, independence movement, with many Hongkongers viewing the protests as their best chance to separate from China completely.

https://www.thepostmillennial.com/former-liberal-minister-supports-communist-china-over-pro-democracy-hong-kong/

Post Millennial News, I've run into this ws before. I'm not too aware about it.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 01:39:45 am by TomSea »

Offline edpc

« Reply #72 on: August 14, 2019, 01:39:35 am »
Nearly every President is tested by a serious geopolitical situation.

So far Trump is failing his. This is where the rubber meets the road with long term consequences for millions of people.

Trump is a paper tiger, low hanging fruit type of person. He was tough on ISIS, because they had no method to project power, at the US, in a meaningful way. Conversely, he’s reluctant to act with strength, when the opposition has the ability to inflict real damage. The strikes on Syria were telegraphed and coordinated, so Russia wouldn’t be brought into the fold. North Korea still has nuclear weapons and launches short range missiles. That’s fine, because they don’t threaten CONUS. Iran can shoot down drones and hijack the occasional tanker, because they have the ability to effect the global oil market. China can engage in hard line tactics, because challenging them jeopardizes the US economy.

Offline EdJames

« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2019, 01:50:24 am »
CNN Updates, Drudge has that up, @EdJames

https://www.cnn.com/asia/live-news/hong-kong-protests-airport-chaos-intl-hnk/index.html

Probably the kinds of updates one wants without having video news on.

Thanks @TomSea, you're a Prince!

That link is perfect!

Offline TomSea

« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2019, 03:17:01 am »
This looks like a positive development but then I think, well, would the protesters go into the designated areas of the airport? Probably not.

The Week:

Hong Kong airport reopens, with demonstrators told to protest in designated areas
10:43 p.m.

After violent clashes broke out at the Hong Kong International Airport on Tuesday night, the airport authority announced on Wednesday it received a temporary injunction to prevent protesters from obstructing airport operations.

Demonstrators must also now stay in assigned areas, Reuters reports. Operations at the airport, one of the busiest in the world, came to a screeching halt on Monday, as protesters made their way through the airport, using luggage carts to block the entrances to customs checkpoints. On Tuesday night, protesters and riot police faced off, with law enforcement using pepper spray against the demonstrators. Police also said protesters "harassed and assaulted a visitor and a journalist," with the demonstrators saying they believed that one man was a Chinese spy and the other was a Chinese reporter.

As the airport resumed operations on Wednesday, employees were seen mopping up blood and trash from the floors, Reuters reports. The protests began 10 weeks ago, and since then, about 600 demonstrators have been arrested. They first began protesting against a proposed bill that would have made it so anyone arrested in Hong Kong could be extradited to China.

More: https://theweek.com/speedreads/858882/hong-kong-airport-reopens-demonstrators-told-protest-designated-areas