Author Topic: Hong Kong/Mainland China Crisis thread  (Read 19727 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Hong Kong/Mainland China Crisis thread
« Reply #125 on: November 02, 2019, 09:30:56 am »
China Hints at Political Clampdown as Hong Kong Protests Enter Fifth Month
2019-11-01

China on Friday warned of a political clampdown in Hong Kong as anti-government protests entered their fifth month, hitting out at "foreign interference" in the city's affairs and hinting at further plans to educate the city's seven million residents to be more "patriotic."

Shen Chunyao, director of the Hong Kong and Macau Affairs Office, was commenting after the ruling Chinese Communist Party pledged that it would "establish and strengthen a legal system and enforcement mechanism for safeguarding national security" in Hong Kong.

"We absolutely will not permit any behavior encouraging separatism or endangering national security," Shen told reporters on Friday.

More at: https://www.rfa.org/english/hongkong-warning-11012019131439.html

Offline TomSea

« Reply #126 on: November 03, 2019, 05:09:17 pm »
Nov. 3, 2019:

Man subdued after biting off ear of pro-democracy politician, stabbing four in Hong Kong mall

David Aaro

A knife-wielding man injured at least four people and bit off part of the ear of a local pro-democracy politician amidst clashes with police at a Hong Kong mall on Sunday, according to local media reports.

Riot police also stormed several malls in Hong Kong in an attempt to limit the pro-democracy protests, as the anti-government movement approaches the five-month mark.

The attack took place at the Cityplaza mall in the Tai Koo district on Hong Kong Island following online messages that urged protesters to meet in seven locations to push forward for political reform.

See pictures and article at: https://www.foxnews.com/world/knife-attacker-bites-ear-pro-democracy-politican-after-stabbing-four-hong-kong

Offline TomSea

« Reply #127 on: November 04, 2019, 10:44:28 am »
Politics
Three people in critical condition as protests rock 'heavy-hearted' Hong Kong

Three people were in critical condition in Hong Kong on Monday, authorities said, after a weekend of chaotic clashes with anti-government protesters that led China to call for a tougher stance to end months of unrest in the Asian financial hub.

The injuries were the result of yet another weekend of violence in the former British colony. Riot police stormed several shopping malls packed with families and children in the eastern suburb of Taikoo Shing on Sunday, including Cityplaza.

Protesters there had initially formed a human chain before facing off with police in skirmishes up and down escalators and spraying graffiti on a restaurant.

More at: https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/three-people-in-critical-condition-as-protests-rock-heavy-hearted-hong-kong

Offline TomSea

« Reply #128 on: November 16, 2019, 11:29:17 am »
November 15, 2019 / 7:17 PM / Updated 2 hours ago
China's PLA soldiers help clean up Hong Kong streets as protests rumble on
James Pomfret

HONG KONG (Reuters) - China’s People’s Liberation Army (PLA) soldiers in shorts and t-shirts made a surprising appearance in some Hong Kong streets on Saturday, briefly helping residents clean up debris and barricades after anti-government protests blocked roads.

The presence of PLA troops on the streets, even to help clean up roads near their base, could enrage protesters and stoke further controversy over the Chinese-ruled territory’s autonomous status.

The former British colony has been rocked by more than five months of demonstrations, with pro-democracy protesters angry at perceived Communist Party meddling in a city guaranteed its freedoms when it returned to Chinese rule in 1997.

More at: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-hongkong-protests/chinas-pla-soldiers-help-clean-up-hong-kong-streets-as-protests-rumble-on-idUSKBN1XQ022

Offline TomSea

« Reply #129 on: November 17, 2019, 09:57:52 am »
This in Hong Kong, it's hard for me to side with those throwing petrol bombs:

https://twitter.com/Woppa1Woppa/status/1195995105796087808

Sure, in general, I still side with the protesters but not this kind of behavior. I don't see how the Hong Kong dilemma can be solved.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #130 on: November 17, 2019, 12:06:26 pm »
Sure, in general, I still side with the protesters but not this kind of behavior. I don't see how the Hong Kong dilemma can be solved.
As you'll recall, there was a point in the peaceful French yellow-vest protests when the protesters became violent. It was about then I figured they had been infiltrated, either by  radicals (i.e., communist, Antifa-types) or those working for the government.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #131 on: November 17, 2019, 12:28:10 pm »
@TomSea
@mystery-ak
@Cyber Liberty
@roamer_1
@Once-Ler
@Gefn
@musiclady

Tom, I watched the film and it is shocking to see Hong Kong like that.

My history with Hong Kong:
Background: My husband was Vice-President of American National Insurance Company, in the headquarters tall building in Galveston, Texas.  Each year the company chose their highest earning insurance agents across the world, 1,000 of them each year, split into two groups of 500.  One year the two groups were taken to an American location and the next year to a foreign location. One group of 500 were taken one week and another 500 the next week.  As an officer, husband had to be there the entire two weeks.  The company paid our bills for the two weeks wherever we were sent. 

One year the location was Hong Kong so we were there two weeks.  That time period was about one year before China took them over.  We spoke to people in several large businesses and each time were told the business had moved all their money out of Hong Kong.

When you fly there (which you won't now) and are landing, don't look out the window.  The approach is over water and you land at the end of the runway which starts at the water's edge.  A description of Hong Kong then:

Hotels are fine.  Look out the window of your room in the morning and you see employees from all buildings, outside and doing exercises.  The place is so busy with people working and producing goods to export.  I bought "Members Only" jackets made there for $5 each.  We both had suits made in two days.  I had a gold bracelet made in one day - solid gold throughout - not empty inside, so it is heavy.  It is as fine today as it was then.  I came back with a Chinese tea set fitted inside a basket.  One like that was in our room when we got there, full of fresh made tea.

People were always smiling and helpful.  The entire city is sparkling clean and their old religious shrines are revered and kept up well.  The food was delicious - Peking Duck was one of their finest meals.  A meal is many courses, each delivered separately as you finish one course.  It was a wonderful city.

Then, one day, we took a skimming over-the-water boat to Macau, China.  What a difference - at the port we had to take off all jewelry and watches and they were listed.  When you leave, the list is checked to make sure you still have all the jewelry - they did not want you to give a Chinese person a piece of jewelry as that Chinese person would then have something another Chinese person did not have.

We were out in the country and the guide said every family in a village had the same number of items another family had - same number of cups, dishes, plates, etc.

We went to an outdoor market.  Women were in small groups, pointing at me, and giggling.  The guide said they don't see women with blond hair.  My husband was a large man and the guide said the Chinese in the market would think he was a rich man because he could afford all the food he wanted.

When we got back to the port, sure enough, the jewelry lists were there and our jewelry/watches counted.  With this information, compare how China was to Hong Kong at that time.  I wonder if landing now in Hong Kong, your jewelry/watches are counted.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 12:29:07 pm by Victoria33 »

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #132 on: November 17, 2019, 01:13:46 pm »
@Victoria33

What an interesting life you have had. It really must have been wonderful to go see the world back when traveling was something. “Romantic”. I’m thinking of flying and hotels. I haven’t been in a plane since 2006 but the last time I was I felt like a sardine, on a cattle ranch.

Nowadays if I can’t drive to it I don’t want to go, but I am saving up for one more trip to Europe.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #133 on: November 17, 2019, 01:33:53 pm »
@Victoria33
What an interesting life you have had. It really must have been wonderful to go see the world back when traveling was something. “Romantic”. I’m thinking of flying and hotels. I haven’t been in a plane since 2006 but the last time I was I felt like a sardine, on a cattle ranch.  Nowadays if I can’t drive to it I don’t want to go, but I am saving up for one more trip to Europe.
@Gefn

There are some of those countries that are not safe now.  If you go to Athens, Greece, don't go to the ladies bathroom at the airport - there were flies on the toilet seat.  Worse bathroom I was ever in overseas, except maybe the one IN FRANCE, that was a hole in the floor and the bathroom light was automatic and turned off before you were through - but there were no flies.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 06:38:12 pm by Victoria33 »

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #134 on: November 17, 2019, 02:19:35 pm »
@TomSea
@mystery-ak
@Cyber Liberty
@roamer_1
@Once-Ler
@Gefn
@musiclady

Tom, I watched the film and it is shocking to see Hong Kong like that.

My history with Hong Kong:
Background: My husband was Vice-President of American National Insurance Company, in the headquarters tall building in Galveston, Texas.  Each year the company chose their highest earning insurance agents across the world, 1,000 of them each year, split into two groups of 500.  One year the two groups were taken to an American location and the next year to a foreign location. One group of 500 were taken one week and another 500 the next week.  As an officer, husband had to be there the entire two weeks.  The company paid our bills for the two weeks wherever we were sent. 

One year the location was Hong Kong so we were there two weeks.  That time period was about one year before China took them over.  We spoke to people in several large businesses and each time were told the business had moved all their money out of Hong Kong.

When you fly there (which you won't now) and are landing, don't look out the window.  The approach is over water and you land at the end of the runway which starts at the water's edge.  A description of Hong Kong then:

Hotels are fine.  Look out the window of your room in the morning and you see employees from all buildings, outside and doing exercises.  The place is so busy with people working and producing goods to export.  I bought "Members Only" jackets made there for $5 each.  We both had suits made in two days.  I had a gold bracelet made in one day - solid gold throughout - not empty inside, so it is heavy.  It is as fine today as it was then.  I came back with a Chinese tea set fitted inside a basket.  One like that was in our room when we got there, full of fresh made tea.

People were always smiling and helpful.  The entire city is sparkling clean and their old religious shrines are revered and kept up well.  The food was delicious - Peking Duck was one of their finest meals.  A meal is many courses, each delivered separately as you finish one course.  It was a wonderful city.

Then, one day, we took a skimming over-the-water boat to Macau, China.  What a difference - at the port we had to take off all jewelry and watches and they were listed.  When you leave, the list is checked to make sure you still have all the jewelry - they did not want you to give a Chinese person a piece of jewelry as that Chinese person would then have something another Chinese person did not have.

We were out in the country and the guide said every family in a village had the same number of items another family had - same number of cups, dishes, plates, etc.

We went to an outdoor market.  Women were in small groups, pointing at me, and giggling.  The guide said they don't see women with blond hair.  My husband was a large man and the guide said the Chinese in the market would think he was a rich man because he could afford all the food he wanted.

When we got back to the port, sure enough, the jewelry lists were there and our jewelry/watches counted.  With this information, compare how China was to Hong Kong at that time.  I wonder if landing now in Hong Kong, your jewelry/watches are counted.
I believe you might be talking about the old airport which landed in the city proper.  Was quite an event as after a 13 hour flight over the Pacific the 747 would fly between hills with apartment houses and outside your plane window one would see people hanging their laundry out to dry just a few hundreds yards away from the plane prior to landing.

That airport has been replaced by a newer one out on one of the islands that requires a train ride to get into the city proper.  Convenient, but a lessened experience.

Hong Kong remains one of the most beautiful cities I ever visited.

And you are right, people are friendly, respectful and highly efficient.

Both Singapore and Hong Kong share that character.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline TomSea

« Reply #135 on: November 17, 2019, 03:31:55 pm »
@Gefn I thought your life was real exciting, going to Rome, Paris, London and probably a bunch of other interesting places you haven't mentioned.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #136 on: November 17, 2019, 10:19:45 pm »
If the Hong Kong protesters keep goin' the way they're goin', there can be only one possible outcome:
Tiananmen Square II.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #137 on: November 17, 2019, 10:20:08 pm »
Hong Kong protesters set fire to university entrance to stop police getting in

About 200 anti-government demonstrators remain in or around the university on a day which saw them fire arrows and catapult petrol bombs at police who deployed tear gas and water cannon.

Police gave them an ultimatum to leave but their move to force them out has been repelled, with the stand-off going into the early hours of the morning,

Officers have threatened to use live bullets if "rioters" carry out more violence, as the territory suffered some of its worst unrest in six months of demonstrations.

https://news.sky.com/story/hong-kong-protesters-set-fire-to-university-entrance-to-stop-police-getting-in-11863568

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #138 on: November 17, 2019, 10:22:20 pm »
The Latest: Hong Kong police enter campus held by protesters

Hong Kong police have stormed into a university campus held by protesters after an all-night standoff.

Fiery explosions could be seen inside as riot officers entered before dawn Monday.

Police had fired repeated barrages of tear gas and water cannon at protesters outside the campus since before midnight.

https://apnews.com/3fe4eae81391457ba7e4529881a5c95f

Online DB

« Reply #139 on: November 17, 2019, 10:26:10 pm »
Hong Kong is done as a democratic government/free people. The people of Hong Kong are property as far as the Chinese government is concerned. China cannot allow any actual independence there or it would open a Pandora's box for the rest of China.

The only thing to do is get out of Hong Kong while they still can. It is the modern case of the Berlin wall going up. And nobody outside of China is doing squat about it.

Online DB

« Reply #140 on: November 17, 2019, 10:27:44 pm »
If the Hong Kong protesters keep goin' the way they're goin', there can be only one possible outcome:
Tiananmen Square II.

It is that or be Chinese property. It is past time to get out of Hong Kong and China.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #141 on: November 17, 2019, 10:28:08 pm »
Looks like all heck is breaking out there right now. It’s on every major wire service,   :0001:

Offline TomSea

« Reply #142 on: November 17, 2019, 10:48:32 pm »
HK police fire tear gas as protesters injure officer with arrow

Clashes resume following week marked by intensifying violence as police warn they will fire live rounds if attacked.

A police vehicle catches fire after being hit with Molotov cocktails on Sunday [Athit Perawongmetha/AP]

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/11/hong-kong-fire-tear-gas-protesters-injure-officer-arrow-191117111609972.html

I saw a video clip earlier of those who threw the molotov cocktails at that vehicle above that caught on fire. I couldn't help but feel sorry for those inside.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 10:50:12 pm by TomSea »

Online DB

« Reply #143 on: November 18, 2019, 03:01:01 am »
I saw a video clip earlier of those who threw the molotov cocktails at that vehicle above that caught on fire. I couldn't help but feel sorry for those inside.

You understand that those inside have every intention of enslaving Hong Kong's population don't you?

They have a choice. Fight back, leave their homes for good or be swallowed by China with all their freedom and rights gone.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #144 on: November 19, 2019, 12:36:37 am »
Campus under siege as Hong Kong police battle protesters

HONG KONG (AP) — Police tightened their siege of a university campus where hundreds of protesters remained trapped overnight Tuesday in the latest dramatic episode in months of protests against growing Chinese control over the semi-autonomous city.

In yet another escalation for the movement, protests raged across other parts of the city, fueled by palpable public anger over the police blockade of Hong Kong Polytechnic University and the desire to help the students stuck inside.

Now in its fifth month, the Hong Kong protest movement has steadily intensified as local and Beijing authorities harden their positions and refuse to make concessions. Universities have become the latest battleground for the protesters, who used gasoline bombs and bows-and-arrows in their fight to keep riot police backed by armored cars and water cannon off of two campuses in the past week.

https://apnews.com/1575c7c2ce5c4cc3a572741b1e806320

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #145 on: November 19, 2019, 12:38:31 am »
More breaking news from Hong Kong....

Hong Kong: police say surrender is only option for protesters

Hong Kong police have fought running battles with protesters trying to break a security cordon around a university in the city, firing teargas both at activists trying to escape the besieged campus and at crowds trying to reach it from outside.

Police have said the demonstrators inside Polytechnic University had no option but to come out and surrender.

The sprawling campus has been occupied by demonstrators since last week, and has become the focus of the most prolonged and tense confrontation between police and protesters in more than five months of unrest in the semi-autonomous city.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/nov/18/hong-kong-protests-up-to-800-trapped-as-police-lay-siege-to-university

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #146 on: November 19, 2019, 12:40:08 am »
The Guardian is reporting in above article (which is scary)

The intensifying violence came as local media reported that district council elections may not be held this Sunday as scheduled because of the demonstrations.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 12:42:39 am by Gefn »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #147 on: November 19, 2019, 02:48:02 am »
New Hong Kong police chief says the force can’t end protests alone
Christy Leung  Published: 7:00am, 19 Nov, 2019Updated: 9:17am, 19 Nov, 2019

Chris Tang is expected to be sworn in on Tuesday morning as the Commissioner of Police. Photo: Nora Tam

Tang worries people only point fingers at police, turn blind eye to mob violence
    Rejecting charges of brutality, new chief says worsening violence is ‘close to terrorism’

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/law-and-crime/article/3038305/incoming-police-chief-chris-tang-tells-hongkongers

Lots of stories out there, apparently, even in South Korea, SK students and Chinese students got into a confrontation because the South Korean are of course, supporting the Hong Kong protesters:

Tweet of the Day: Chinese Students Vandalize Korean Posters Supporting Hong Kong
https://www.rokdrop.net/2019/11/tweet-of-the-day-chinese-students-vandalize-korean-posters-supporting-hong-kong/

Hong Kong Police Deploy New Weapons During Intense Clashes at Hong Kong College Campus
By Eva Fu

Hong Kong police have ramped up their tactics by deploying rifles and other more harmful weapons for the first time against protesters during violent weekend confrontations at a Hong Kong campus.

In an ongoing standoff since Saturday, Nov. 16, police continued to besiege the Polytechnic University (PolyU) campus on Nov. 18, firing tear gas and projectiles and deploying water cannons.

The protesters had blocked one of Hong Kong’s major highways, the Cross Harbor Tunnel linking Hong Kong island to the Kowloon peninsula, for much of last week, in an attempt to pressure the government into answering their demands.

Read more at: https://www.theepochtimes.com/hong-kong-police-deploying-new-weapons-during-intense-clashes-at-hong-kong-college-campus_3149833.html

Gandhi and King both led peaceful movements that apparently were successful in the end.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #148 on: November 19, 2019, 03:01:17 am »
Hong Kong police, protesters locked in university standoff as Global Affairs confirms Canadians 'affected'
The Associated Press · Posted: Nov 17, 2019 11:06 PM ET | Last Updated: 20 minutes ago

The latest in Hong Kong:

Tensions high at Hong Kong Polytechnic University as police, protesters in standoff.
    Hong Kong's leader Carrie Lam says she hopes standoff will be resolved 'peacefully.'
    Global Affairs Canada confirms Canadians are 'affected.'
    Protester at university tells CBC News Network there is no trust between law enforcement and protesters, says police want to 'quiet the movement.'

Global Affairs Canada said to CBC News in a statement that it is "aware of Canadians affected and we are in contact with local authorities."

Asked if those Canadians have been arrested, injured or are still protesting, a spokesperson would not comment, citing "provisions under the Privacy Act."

The University of British Columbia confirmed in a statement Monday that 11 of its exchange students have left Hong Kong and the 21 remaining in the city are safe and accounted for. An official says they are assisting the students with travel planning.

Protesters are escorted by police out of the campus. (Thomas Peter/Reuters)

Read more at: https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/hong-kong-university-clashes-1.5363072

Maybe the best coverage yet is the above article, AP via the CBC.

Some Hongkongers Contracted Chloracne, Likely From Harmful Chemicals in Tear Gas
By Olivia Li, Epoch Times

A journalist who has been reporting at the front lines of Hong Kong’s anti-government protests revealed on Facebook that he was diagnosed with chloracne a few days ago—a rare skin eruption of blackheads, cysts and nodules, which has been linked directly to dioxin exposure. Hong Kong’s medical experts believe the dioxin exposure came from the use of tear gas by Hong Kong police.

Another internet user also exposed on social media that many police officers had contracted chloracne as well, but senior police officers forbade them to tell others, for fear that it would scare other policemen.

Read more at: https://www.theepochtimes.com/some-hongkongers-contracted-chloracne-likely-from-harmful-chemicals-in-tear-gas_3147948.html

Some pictures look "apocalyptic" imho. Not very uplifting, the poor souls.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 03:18:32 am by TomSea »

Online DB

« Reply #149 on: November 19, 2019, 03:56:20 am »
Gandhi and King both led peaceful movements that apparently were successful in the end.

The British are not the Chinese as far as Gandhi goes. The British are what made Hong Kong possible.

The Chinese government has only one goal - absolute power. They believe they own their people.