Author Topic: Frightened by shootings, appalled at Trump, Americans are voting with their feet — to leave  (Read 763 times)

Offline libertybele

I have a friend who is contemplating moving out of the U.S. because of the way things are going in this country.  The idea of leaving this country?  Something we've never contemplated, but perhaps there is something to be said for living off the grid.  I'm not frightened of the shootings; I'm frightened of our government's reaction(s) to the shootings.

Frightened by shootings, appalled at Trump, Americans are voting with their feet — to leave

Americans are not flocking to the exits, but some of them are thinking about it, and some are talking about it, and at least a few are acting on the idea. Google searches for terms like “how to move out of America” spiked this past weekend to levels not seen since November 2016, right after the presidential election, and last seen a decade ago during the Great Recession. And in dozens of interviews after the massacres in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio, people who were born here spoke of their crystallizing desire to leave.

These are not recent immigrants who feel threatened by nationalist rhetoric coming from the White House and Congress, but for the most part middle-class or relatively affluent Americans disheartened by the turn in American politics since the 2016 election. And it is not necessarily Canada — the default destination for agitated Americans over the decades — where they are threatening to move, because work visa qualifications there are tight. Instead, they are casting a larger net across the globe.

“The text-message threads and FB message threads have surged with questions about how and when to leave,” said Jacobs, a 41-year-old public affairs consultant who lives in New Jersey with his wife and toddler, and who began looking to Israel as an “escape hatch” as soon as Donald Trump was elected, but whose stockpiling of cash took on new urgency this week..........

https://www.yahoo.com/news/frightened-by-shootings-appalled-at-trump-americans-are-voting-with-their-feet-to-leave-161346924.html
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Applewood

People have been saying they are leaving for decades.  How many celebrities said they were leaving when Trump was elected?  Yet, they are still here.  Johnny Depp moved to France because  of something he didn't like.  I hear he's back in the States again.

People who do leave for another country, more often than not, find out that the country they moved to isn't as wonderful as they thought.  Some decide to move to a country because they spent a week there on vacation and loved the beaches, the mountains or whatever.  But when a person vacations in a foreign country, they only see the best "face" the country puts forward.  They never see the downsides. 

One of my favorite countries for vacation is Italy.  Beautiful country, rich in history and art.  But like most European countries, it's expensive to live there.   Health care is iffy.   The country's government has been more stable lately, but for a while, it seemed like every other week, the prime minister would resign and a new one would have the task of forming a new government made of a coalition of several different parties who can never get along with one another.  And there is terrorism in Italy, as there is in  every other European country which welcomed the "migrants" from the Middle East with open arms. 

These days, I'm too old and sickly to travel to foreign countries; so I stay right here in the US.  For all the flaws and BS going on here, it's still the best country in the world. 

Online goatprairie

People have been saying they are leaving for decades.  How many celebrities said they were leaving when Trump was elected?  Yet, they are still here.  Johnny Depp moved to France because  of something he didn't like.  I hear he's back in the States again.

People who do leave for another country, more often than not, find out that the country they moved to isn't as wonderful as they thought.  Some decide to move to a country because they spent a week there on vacation and loved the beaches, the mountains or whatever.  But when a person vacations in a foreign country, they only see the best "face" the country puts forward.  They never see the downsides. 

One of my favorite countries for vacation is Italy.  Beautiful country, rich in history and art.  But like most European countries, it's expensive to live there.   Health care is iffy.   The country's government has been more stable lately, but for a while, it seemed like every other week, the prime minister would resign and a new one would have the task of forming a new government made of a coalition of several different parties who can never get along with one another.  And there is terrorism in Italy, as there is in  every other European country which welcomed the "migrants" from the Middle East with open arms. 

These days, I'm too old and sickly to travel to foreign countries; so I stay right here in the US.  For all the flaws and BS going on here, it's still the best country in the world.
After visiting in-laws in Britain and Italy and Greece recently, Americans should be very glad they live in a country where there is literally room to breathe.
Most of the European countries have a premium on space. They have beautiful places /scenery etc., but when you get back to the States you realize how lucky you are to have wide open spaces to stretch and breathe.

Offline skeeter

It wouldn't surprise me at all if there was a mass movement of the recently immigrated moving back to their homelands.

It will not be those from really poor countries, of course, but as things get dicier here many others will decide the old motherland wasn't so bad after all. And things will get dicier.

Offline Victoria33

Human behavior in a time of trouble:

When there is trouble, people tend to think another place is better and they go there without doing work to find out about that new location. This is a flee reaction - "any place is better than this."

A simple one:  One summer when living by myself, it was so hot in Texas, I was going to a cool place in this country, go to the airport and go there.  I thought anyplace would be better than where I was.  However, before just getting up and going somewhere, I did my homework, I checked temperatures all over the country and there was not one place in the whole country that was cool.  I stayed where I was and only left the house once a week to get groceries.

Leaving this country, going to new country.
This is a bad idea.  If there is trouble in the new country, and you can't predict this: you are not a citizen of that country and they don't care one bit about whether you live or die - they are concerned with their citizens, not you.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Human behavior in a time of trouble:

When there is trouble, people tend to think another place is better and they go there without doing work to find out about that new location. This is a flee reaction - "any place is better than this."

A simple one:  One summer when living by myself, it was so hot in Texas, I was going to a cool place in this country, go to the airport and go there.  I thought anyplace would be better than where I was.  However, before just getting up and going somewhere, I did my homework, I checked temperatures all over the country and there was not one place in the whole country that was cool.  I stayed where I was and only left the house once a week to get groceries.

Leaving this country, going to new country.
This is a bad idea.  If there is trouble in the new country, and you can't predict this: you are not a citizen of that country and they don't care one bit about whether you live or die - they are concerned with their citizens, not you.

Most normal countries don't care.  Ones not run by Rats.  The US will allow Veterans to starve, homeless, while feeding and giving medical attention to illegal aliens.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
It wouldn't surprise me at all if there was a mass movement of the recently immigrated moving back to their homelands.

It will not be those from really poor countries, of course, but as things get dicier here many others will decide the old motherland wasn't so bad after all. And things will get dicier.

I have no problem with self deportation.  They can take their Eurocentric or Central and South American views on our gun laws BACK where they came from. And I won't shed a tear if they take some of the legal residents of the U.S. with them.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline montanajoe

I have a little piece of land in a little village in the mountains of SE Asia that I picked up during the Obama administration, not due to political reasons, although I don't see the present occupant of the WH as any better than the last one..... :shrug:

Unlike most that were there I found I really like the jungle and its climate.... I may or may not move there permanently some day but for me personally, having both the option and a place to go makes sense.....