Author Topic: Chuck Schumer pushes body armor crackdown after mass shootings  (Read 773 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Chuck Schumer pushes body armor crackdown after mass shootings
Washington Times, Aug 11, 2019, Associated Press

The Senate’s top Democrat says he’s introducing legislation to require the FBI to regulate the sale of body armor in the U.S.

Sen. Chuck Schumer said Sunday that the legislation would require the bureau to set standards on who would be eligible to purchase bullet-resistant vests and other body armor.

The New York senator says there would be exceptions for law enforcement and other public safety professionals.

Schumer says he’ll introduce the bill after the Senate returns to Washington in September.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/aug/11/chuck-schumer-pushes-body-armor-crackdown-after-ma/

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: Chuck Schumer pushes body armor crackdown after mass shootings
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 02:09:55 pm »
 :facepalm2:

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 02:11:49 pm »
Might be the Knee Jerk of all knee jerk reactions.  But what you would expect from a certified jerk.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 02:51:38 pm »
Might be the Knee Jerk of all knee jerk reactions.  But what you would expect from a certified jerk.
@The Ghost

Dear church pew friend,
Yesterday I read something and it shows how our lives have changed due to people dying from being attacked by shooters.  I thought it is so sad this has to happen.  I had not thought of doing this but I would do it if I had a student in school now:

Parents are buying backpacks with bullet proof Kevlar cover for their children to take to school to put in front of them if an attacker is in the school.

https://www.bulletblocker.com/bullet-proof-backpack-shield.html

The cheapest one starts at $160.  There is a blue one which is the $160 and a pink one that is $180 and those would work for students in elementary school.  Others are more money than that and kids older than grade school would likely get the ones that are more military style.

I looked on Amazon, trying to find cheaper ones, and did not find any with Kevlar covering.
Friend Ghost, would you buy one for your kids if you had/have school children?

Aside: Went to our St. Francis Catholic Church yesterday.  We still meet in the Family Life bldg. since they haven't finished re-doing the main church bldg.  We will be back in there early next month.  It isn't going to look the same as when you were there.  Could you tell me by PM where you live now so maybe it is possible for you to come back there?

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 04:14:59 pm »
@Victoria33

Good to here about St. Francis!  I answered you in a PM.  But you still have me blocked! So it bounced back.  8888crybaby
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2019, 05:20:02 pm »
@The Ghost

Sorry for that.  You are now on my friend list.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2019, 06:24:45 pm »
@Victoria33 Those backpacks, as well as an assortment of other devices (Kevlar lined briefcases for businessmen, panels to install in whatever you think would be good, clipboards, etc.) have actually been available for years. So have different levels of body armour. Mr. Schumer would deny the average person the refuge of body armor, whether they are delivery drivers, have been threatened, etc, to deprive the occasional deranged shooter.

Think about that, because it belies the mentality present in folks like Mr Schumer, who would doubtless have such ,protection if desired, as he moves within his security cordon, that he would deprive 330,000,000 people, (less LEOs and military and of course 'important' government officials) the protection of body armour to take down the shooter with an easier shot.

Your life is clearly not worth as much as his is or he wouldn't even propose this.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2019, 06:27:17 pm »
Your life is clearly not worth as much as his is or he wouldn't even propose this.

Yeah... But he's a dingbat. Any moron can make rudimentary body armor.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2019, 06:51:00 pm »
Yeah... But he's a dingbat. Any moron can make rudimentary body armor.
@Smokin Joe
@roamer_1
@The Ghost

Well, guys, it never dawned on me that we have to provide Kevlar for kids to go to school and hopefully not get killed due to having a Kevlar backpack.  I was a psychological examiner/counselor for years at public schools, and the subject of staying alive by using Kevlar backpacks was never brought up, mainly because they were not being killed.

No one is safe in this country anymore.  This country has gone to the times of Noah, and the Bible says when that happens, Christ is coming back.  If you haven't read what the times of Noah was like, read it and I'm serious about that.  Send me a PM what you think after reading it.  You know the two of you and I are buddies, and The Ghost and I are church buddies.

Go to Genesis and read about Noah before the flood.  It is said there what the peoples of the earth were doing. 
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 06:57:38 pm by Victoria33 »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2019, 07:04:46 pm »
Well, guys, it never dawned on me that we have to provide Kevlar for kids to go to school and hopefully not get killed due to having a Kevlar backpack.  I was a psychological examiner/counselor for years at public schools, and the subject of staying alive by using Kevlar backpacks was never brought up, mainly because they were not being killed.

@Victoria33
I hate to be the one to inform you, but kevlar ain't all that. Especially if it is thin enough to be a pliable backpack. Actual body armor may be kevlar alright, but the stopping power is steel (or maybe ceramic) plates inserted into pockets in the kevlar.  The kevlar's main function is to stop the ricochet from penetrating after the steel plate has taken the main hit. And even at that, most armor is designed for pistols and would do little to stop a rifle round. There are heavier plates made for that, but they are too heavy to incorporate for general use.

So as a rule, a kevlar backpack might be better than nothing, but not by much... The books in the backpack would probably be of more effect.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2019, 07:32:59 pm »
@Victoria33
I hate to be the one to inform you, but kevlar ain't all that. Especially if it is thin enough to be a pliable backpack. Actual body armor may be kevlar alright, but the stopping power is steel (or maybe ceramic) plates inserted into pockets in the kevlar.  The kevlar's main function is to stop the ricochet from penetrating after the steel plate has taken the main hit. And even at that, most armor is designed for pistols and would do little to stop a rifle round. There are heavier plates made for that, but they are too heavy to incorporate for general use.
So as a rule, a kevlar backpack might be better than nothing, but not by much... The books in the backpack would probably be of more effect.
@roamer_1

"I hate to be the one to inform you..."
Don't use those words as it sounds like I am glued to whatever I said and it would wound me to know more.  I am always pleased to get more info. than I have, especially from you.

I have not read about how these backpacks are made, what their stopping power is or is not. I will do that soon today.   You know when I don't know something, I beat it to death until I know all of it.  Before the day is over, I will know exactly what is used in a backpack, how it is put together, etc.  AND WHETHER I NEED ONE, or not.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2019, 07:37:53 pm »
@Smokin Joe
@roamer_1
@The Ghost

No one is safe in this country anymore.  This country has gone to the times of Noah, and the Bible says when that happens, Christ is coming back.  If you haven't read what the times of Noah was like, read it and I'm serious about that.  Send me a PM what you think after reading it.  You know the two of you and I are buddies, and The Ghost and I are church buddies.

Go to Genesis and read about Noah before the flood.  It is said there what the peoples of the earth were doing.
Come quickly Lord Jesus!

Online roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2019, 07:55:39 pm »
@roamer_1

"I hate to be the one to inform you..."
Don't use those words as it sounds like I am glued to whatever I said and it would wound me to know more.  I am always pleased to get more info. than I have, especially from you.

I have not read about how these backpacks are made, what their stopping power is or is not. I will do that soon today.   You know when I don't know something, I beat it to death until I know all of it.  Before the day is over, I will know exactly what is used in a backpack, how it is put together, etc.  AND WHETHER I NEED ONE, or not.

@Victoria33

Didn't mean it like that  :shrug:

If y'all have somebody MIL or LEO, have em show you a real vest... You'll get the idea.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2019, 08:28:28 pm »
@Smokin Joe
@roamer_1
@The Ghost

As a survivor of race riots in High School (No "American Grafiti" for us) I guess all I see there is that now schools are free fire zones (before, teachers and others who were responsible sheepdogs could be armed), and that people are taking advantage of the regulatory establishment of such free fire zones to perpetrate their insanity.
We never assumed anything or anywhere was safe, but that might have been because we were a fire department family (All but one of us served as Volunteer EMS or Firemen--mom included, and the 'holdout' worked in counter-terrorism in a federal agency).
Sorry, but safety is an illusion, at best provided by situational awareness and the ability to respond in a meaningful fashion. Life isn't safe, no one gets out alive.
But you can stack the deck in favor of living longer.
When, on another thread, I suggested a year of classes in Standard and Advanced First Aid, CPR, hunter safety, and driver's ED, (all that could be packed into a year class), I wasn't kidding, although gender studies is likely seen as more important by school administrators. It would be something that, while it might not necessarily make the world a safer place, would make the individual's chances of surviving in it better.

Yes, Christ will return, but in the meantime, we are made more aware of the problems around us as those who commit those actions are less bashful about their particular behaviour. There is much we can do to survive that, and kevlar panels in backpacks are just one more possible defense.

That Schumer would want to ban such passive means of survival only indicates that when the SHTF someplace he wants a higher body count, to use for political gain. What happened to "If it saves just one life..."? It's gone from the mantra of the people who want to take our means of self-defense.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2019, 08:36:28 pm »
@Victoria33

Even slowing a round down will reduce the hydraulic shock, reduce the wound channel and improve chances for survival, but you are right, the kevlar involved is (Level II) only enough to stop a 9mm or so on its own. Books would enhance the effect. Level IIIa will stop up to .44 mag. https://www.ar500armor.com/ar500-armor-body-armor/level-iiia-body-armor/ar500-armorr-hybrid-11-x-15-backpack-iiia-soft-body-armor.html
Military grade Kevlar,with ceramic or steel trauma plates, would be a heck of a load for a grade schooler..

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2019, 09:23:53 pm »
Even slowing a round down will reduce the hydraulic shock, reduce the wound channel and improve chances for survival [...]

That's right... And it can definitely help with frag and ricochet / secondary impacts... So it ain't without value...

But I think most the time, head-on-a-swivel, knowing multiple alt exit points, defensive positions, and being able to return fire would generally more valuable pursuits. That's all I am saying.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2019, 06:18:56 am »
That's right... And it can definitely help with frag and ricochet / secondary impacts... So it ain't without value...

But I think most the time, head-on-a-swivel, knowing multiple alt exit points, defensive positions, and being able to return fire would generally more valuable pursuits. That's all I am saying.
Situational awareness is the best. But banning body armor for all but the annointed few is a sure step in the wrong direction. For a couple hundred bucks, that kevlar or composite backpack panel might save your kid's life, not just in Walmart or School, but if you live in any major city, on the street. Seems like a lot of folks in the inner cities aren't too particular who they shoot.

C S Lewis

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2019, 02:40:30 pm »
Situational awareness is the best. But banning body armor for all but the annointed few is a sure step in the wrong direction. For a couple hundred bucks, that kevlar or composite backpack panel might save your kid's life, not just in Walmart or School, but if you live in any major city, on the street. Seems like a lot of folks in the inner cities aren't too particular who they shoot.

When I travel I always have a back pack with me for stuff I need to get to immediately or if my bags het lost.  I've been thinking about buying one of those kevlar plates to slide in my back pack.

I think I'll try an an experiment using one of the ones I've been issued to see how the extra weight is and how comfortable/uncomfortable it is.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline rustynail

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2019, 02:53:10 pm »
God bless the hearts of the 'no one needs' people.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2019, 03:04:38 pm »
@txradioguy
@Smokin Joe
@roamer_1

I am going to research Kevlar backpacks to see how they are made, will do that today or as soon as I can and will put it here.  As I posted, seems the cost starts about $160 up to many hundreds.  (and I am going to PM you guys how the world was when Noah lived, before the flood.)

(A major question I have about Kevlar backpacks, is, do they have "pretty" ones for women.)  :o)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 03:06:50 pm by Victoria33 »

Offline conservativevoter

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2019, 04:42:12 pm »
Normal citizens of the US should be able to carry guns.  Just think what might have happened at that Republican ballgame, or any other terrorist attempt to destroy (like 9/11), if any person confronted by a terrorist, just reached in their holster and pointed it at a shooter.  Hey!  It could work. 

:yowsa: