Author Topic: Serbian President Defends Giving Fugitive Thai Politician Citizenship  (Read 259 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Serbian President Defends Giving Fugitive Thai Politician Citizenship
Maja Zivanovic   Belgrade   BIRN
August 9, 2019
President Aleksandar Vucic has supported the government decision to give a Serbian passport to the fugitive former prime minister of Thailand, Yingluck Shinawatra, saying he does not see what the problem is.

Following news that former Thai prime minister Tingluck Shinawatra – who has fled a prison sentence in Thailand for corruption – obtained Serbian citizenship in June, Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic has said he does not see this as a problem, calling also for ways to make it easier to get a Serbian passport.

“I don’t see this as a problem for us, especially if the government can see any economic or other benefits for our country. The passport is not some sacred thing,” Vucic said on Friday while visiting construction work in the northern village of Cortanovci.

Shinawatra received Serbian citizenship under a decision of the Serbian government on June 27. A short explanation signed by the Prime Minister Ana Brnabic cited part of the Law on Citizenship that says: “A foreigner whose admission to citizenship … would be of interest to the Republic of Serbia may also be admitted to citizenship”.

Read more at: https://balkaninsight.com/2019/08/09/serbian-president-defends-giving-fugitive-thai-politician-citizenship/

It's hard to keep track of all of the goings-ons of these foreign countries but I think a Military Junta came to rule in Thailand, they may be out of power now. It's hard to take serious allegations when such happens.  Shinawatra, I think the same guy who owned Man City (soccer in UK) for a spell.  That must be 10 years ago now.