Author Topic: CNN: Stronger Background Checks Would Not Have Stopped Latest Mass Shootings  (Read 255 times)

Offline verga

"In the wake of two mass shootings that left 31 dead, President Donald Trump tweeted Monday morning that 'Republicans and Democrats must come together and get strong background checks,' suggesting that the legislation be paired with immigration revisions," noted CNN. "Would strengthening or expanding background checks have prevented the alleged shooters from purchasing firearms?"

The network's fact-check admitted that this was "doubtful":
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline verga

In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Applewood

@verga

No problem. 

The one shooter allegedly had posted a hit list at his school.  If this incident was not reported to law enforcement, no background check would have revealed it.

But hey -- I was on Prozac for a few months in 1992.  If I wanted a firearm, that would have shown up on a background check and my application would have been rejected. 

Background checks do nothing to prevent this kind of carnage.  But they could prevent a law-abiding citizen with no intention of shooting up a Walmart from obtaining a firearm.