Author Topic: Walmart pulls violent game displays but will still sell guns  (Read 362 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Walmart pulls violent game displays but will still sell guns
« on: August 09, 2019, 08:29:53 pm »
Houston Chronicle by  MICHELLE CHAPMAN, MAE ANDERSON and JOSEPH PISANI 8/9/2019

Walmart has ordered workers to remove video game signs and displays that depict violence from stores nationwide after 22 people died in a shooting at one of its Texas stores but will continue to sell guns.

In an internal memo, the retailer told employees to remove any violent marketing material, unplug Xbox and PlayStation consoles that show violent video games and turn off any violence depicted on screens in its electronics departments.

Employees also were asked to shut off hunting season videos in the sporting goods department where guns are sold. "Remove from the salesfloor or turn off these items immediately," the memo said.

Walmart will still sell the violent video games and hasn't made any changes to its gun sales policy, despite pressure from workers, politicians and activists to do so.

"We've taken this action out of respect for the incidents of the past week," Walmart spokeswoman Tara House said in an email. She declined to answer any questions beyond the statement.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/texas/article/Walmart-removes-images-of-violence-in-stores-14292803.php

Online libertybele

Re: Walmart pulls violent game displays but will still sell guns
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 11:16:31 pm »
Walmart deciding to pull the games is certainly a judgement call and I agree that many of the video games are violent and inappropriate for our youth. However the video games do have ratings and PARENTS should be paying close attention to those ratings.  I know in the past when I went to purchase a video games for my oldest grandson, you can preview the video game on line and the ratings are also available.  I think the responsibility of allowing children and young teens to play these should fall on the parents and not those making the games, nor the stores selling the games.  Parents need to monitor what games their kids play, who they contact on-line, what they watch on-line, what content they download, what they watch on TV, etc. 

Selling guns is a separate issue altogether and one has nothing to do with the other.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online roamer_1

Re: Walmart pulls violent game displays but will still sell guns
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 04:48:26 am »
I think the responsibility of allowing children and young teens to play these should fall on the parents and not those making the games, nor the stores selling the games.  Parents need to monitor what games their kids play, who they contact on-line, what they watch on-line, what content they download, what they watch on TV, etc. 

@libertybele
Ultimately you're right... But it used to be that the whole dang community would speak with one voice. I don't believe the Woolworth's in town - the closest analog from that time - would sell such things in the first place. And I do not think he'd get much business from the folks if he did.

That whole 'It Takes a Village' crap bastardized something that used to be true.