Author Topic: China delivers its most explicit threat to use military force in Hong Kong if protests get bigger an  (Read 716 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Senior Chinese officials offered stern warnings to Hong Kong about China's ability to intervene in the city's affairs, saying that the country had "ample methods as well as sufficient strength" to handle protests that have rocked the city for over nine weeks.

Hundreds of thousands of people have gathered in the streets of Hong Kong for over two months of protests, some of which have turned violent.

What initially started as a protest against a proposed bill that would allow for the extradition of Hong Kong residents to mainland China for trial has ballooned into a fight to uphold democracy in the semi-autonomous region.

Zhang Xiaoming, the director of the Hong Kong and Macau Affairs Office of China's State Council, said on Wednesday that Chinese authorities would not just "sit by" if the situation in Hong Kong deteriorates to a point that is beyond the control of the city's government.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/china-delivers-most-explicit-threat-091101513.html
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
By the way, I thought I saw something yesterday that Mainland China was going to let the HK leadership and law enforcement take care of things. It's not odd actually, to hear contrary stories to all this though, this next story seems to go with the article in the op.

Top Hong Kong Police Commander Recalled From Retirement as Violence Escalates
By Reuters
August 8, 2019 Updated: August 8, 2019

HONG KONG—The police commander who oversaw pro-democracy demonstrations that roiled Hong Kong in 2014 has been recalled from retirement to help deal with the violent protests convulsing the Chinese-ruled city, two sources with knowledge of the move told Reuters.

The sources, both senior government security officials, said former deputy police commissioner Alan Lau Yip-shing, planned to meet top-level ground commanders on Aug. 9.

The move comes ahead of yet another weekend of protests across the former British colony, including a three-day rally at the international airport, that have prompted travel warnings from countries including the United States and Australia.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/top-hong-kong-police-commander-recalled-from-retirement-as-violence-escalates_3034706.html

Offline thackney

Hundreds of thousands of people have gathered in the streets of Hong Kong for over two months of protests, some of which have turned violent.

Hong Kong is about 8 million.  2~4% of the population is engaged in protests?  Wow.  Think what that would take where you live.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I wonder if the Chicoms do go violent what will happen to all those enterprising citizens of Hong Kong.

Could they go to Taiwan as refugees?  If they go that way, that would significantly strengthen that country to China's detriment.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Hong Kong is about 8 million.  2~4% of the population is engaged in protests?  Wow.  Think what that would take where you live.

I suppose it depends on how you count the protesters.  Hundreds of thousands AT THE SAME TIME is one thing, hundreds of thousands in total over a couple months...
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline thackney

I suppose it depends on how you count the protesters.  Hundreds of thousands AT THE SAME TIME is one thing, hundreds of thousands in total over a couple months...

Good point

Still a lot of participants unless folks are counted twice.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline TomSea

Hong Kong protest: 'Nearly two million' join demonstration
    17 June 2019
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-48656471

I think those protests have been quite a bit bigger than a few hundred thousand and the above is from 6 weeks ago.

More like 10-20%, maybe even more, we've posted quite a few stories on the protests. Maybe at times, a large portion of the city of Hong Kong itself.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 03:04:29 am by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

Melissa_Strategic
⭐️
⭐️
⭐️
@Melis_Strategic
Protestors in Hong Kong are using the American flag and anthem as a symbol of freedom to rally.

https://twitter.com/Melis_Strategic/status/1160523218966523904

See video above, the Hong Kong protesters, YES, they are waving Old Glory.

Pretty darn amazing, I hope everyone sees this.

:patriot:

Protesters got tear gassed, pushed down escalators, bloodied,  a lot of this coverage at twitter:

https://twitter.com/HongKongFP  Hong Kong Free Press, just found this today, I don't know how good it is.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 02:13:47 am by TomSea »

Offline libertybele

The numbers are staggering, but what I find even more astonishing is the fact that the protests have been going on for nearly 2 months -- that's quite a long time.  I guess I haven't been paying attention, I'm just now hearing about this.

These people are fighting for their freedom. 

.... extradition of Hong Kong residents to mainland China for trial has ballooned into a fight to uphold democracy in the semi-autonomous region.....
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 12:27:40 am by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I wonder if the Chicoms do go violent what will happen to all those enterprising citizens of Hong Kong.

Could they go to Taiwan as refugees?  If they go that way, that would significantly strengthen that country to China's detriment.
Looks like China sees this threat as well and is trying to plug the drain.

China lashes out at Taiwan over Hong Kong asylum offer

China lashed out at Taiwan on Monday over its offer of political asylum to participants in Hong Kong's pro-democracy protest movement, a day after hundreds of thousands of people marched peacefully in the latest massive demonstration in the Chinese territory.

The government of Taiwan, a self-ruled island that China considers its own territory, strongly supports the protests, and Hong Kong students in Taiwan held events over the weekend expressing their backing. Taiwan's president made the asylum offer last month, though it's not clear if requests have been received.

Taiwan lacks a formal legal mechanism for assessing and granting asylum requests, although it has granted residency to several vocal opponents of the Chinese government.

On Monday, Ma Xiaoguang, spokesman for the Chinese Cabinet's Taiwan Affairs Office, said Taiwan's offer would "cover up the crimes of a small group of violent militants" and encourage their "audacity in harming Hong Kong and turn Taiwan into a "heaven for ducking the law."
https://news.yahoo.com/china-lashes-taiwan-over-hong-051547548.html
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington