Author Topic: Trump considering executive action over alleged anti-conservative tech bias: report  (Read 457 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump considering executive action over alleged anti-conservative tech bias: report
By Harper Neidig - 08/07/19 06:18 PM EDT

The White House is reportedly exploring potential executive action President Trump could take to address his and other Republicans' allegations of anti-conservative bias among social media companies.

Politico reported Wednesday that the White House has circulated a draft proposal, though it is unclear what exactly the order would do or how it would target tech companies. One source told the outlet that the details of the proposal remain in flux.

“If the internet is going to be presented as this egalitarian platform and most of Twitter is liberal cesspools of venom, then at least the president wants some fairness in the system,” a White House official was quoted telling the outlet. “But look, we also think that social media plays a vital role. They have a vital role and an increasing responsibility to the culture that has helped make them so profitable and so prominent."

more
https://thehill.com/policy/technology/456631-report-trump-considering-exec-action-over-alleged-anti-conservative-bias-in
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Basically, a Fairness Doctorine for social media. It’s a business opportunity. There are plenty of people on our side that can create their own platform.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 12:25:01 am by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Applewood

Did anyone hear of the First Amendment?  Look, I don't like Twitter, Facebook or most other social media sites -- I think they are not only full of liberal bias, but also a whole lot of cranks from all political sides and even from no political side.  But trying to restrict them or shut them down altogether is just so wrong on so many levels.

Offline Night Hides Not

Did anyone hear of the First Amendment?  Look, I don't like Twitter, Facebook or most other social media sites -- I think they are not only full of liberal bias, but also a whole lot of cranks from all political sides and even from no political side.  But trying to restrict them or shut them down altogether is just so wrong on so many levels.

Completely agree, as would IMO Thomas Jefferson and a host of our Founding Fathers. Social media in general is receiving the scrutiny it deserves, and will likely be regulated as a utility by Congress in the coming years. A presidential executive action that can be reversed by the next president is not the way to go.

O/T, but I really enjoyed our trip to Monticello last month. There was a gentleman who had portrayed Thomas Jefferson for the past 40 years, and I was enthralled listening to him speak in an informal setting for almost 90 minutes on a variety of subjects.

He was asked by a woman about slavery, to explain his views on freedom while he was a slaveholder. The question was completely valid, and he did a great job of explaining the issue in primarily 18th/19th century mores. I saw her in the gift shop afterwards, and I thanked her for her contribution.  She is a librarian in Manassas VA, and her response was awesome: "for my benefit, and the benefit of my students, I learned I need to read a lot more!"

I think we all need to apply that lesson.

BTW, the man bears a striking resemblance to Mr. Jefferson.

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Applewood

@Night Hides Not

Completely agree, as would IMO Thomas Jefferson and a host of our Founding Fathers. Social media in general is receiving the scrutiny it deserves, and will likely be regulated as a utility by Congress in the coming years. A presidential executive action that can be reversed by the next president is not the way to go.

I don't want any regulation of social media at all -- from the president, congress or anyone else.  Government has no business sticking its nose into a private enterprise.  Seems to me if a person is unhappy with Facebook, Twitter or whatever, he/she should just stay away from them.  That's what I do. 

And about the rest of your  post -- I sent you a private message.

Offline kevindavis007

Bad idea for two reasons:

1. The Government shouldn't be regulating social media
2. I would prefer if such action goes through Congress.  I know it is a novel idea. I imagine if Obama was doing this everyone would be freaking out.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/