Author Topic: India and Pakistan have been fighting over Kashmir for decades. Is this tug of war about to go nucle  (Read 649 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
India and Pakistan have been fighting over Kashmir for decades. Is this tug of war about to go nuclear?
Vandana Ravikumar, USA TODAY

Pakistan and India have feuded over who owns the Kashmir region for more than 60 years, and yet they still don't seem closer to reaching an agreement.

The Indian government this week moved toward revoking special status for a contested region, Kashmir, that makes up the country’s only Muslim-majority state.

The decision to revoke the constitutional provision that previously gave the Indian-controlled region of Kashmir some degree of autonomy has raised concerns about fanning the flames of a violent conflict that has been ongoing for decades.

Read more at: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2019/08/07/kashmir-india-pakistan-feud-reaching-tipping-point/1951314001/

Some useful history in the story for those interested though, the headline, any time India and Pakistan lock horns, some will say they could go to a nuclear war, quite melodramatic.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Delhi airport on alert, domestic flyers told to report 3 hrs before departure
A general alert was issued in the national capital on Monday after the Centre scrapped Article 370, which granted special status to Jammu and Kashmir.
delhi Updated: Aug 08, 2019 07:26 IST

On normal days, passengers are asked to reach the airport at least an hour before their domestic departure and two hours in advance for international flights.(HT File Photo )

Due to increased security in the wake of the developments in Jammu and Kashmir and Independence Day celebrations, the Delhi airport operator on Wednesday urged domestic flyers to reach at least three hours in advance and international passengers four hours prior to departure.

The airport operator, Delhi International Airport Ltd (DIAL), posted on Twitter: “Attention Flyers: Due to enhanced security arrangements, flyers are requested to reach #DelhiAirport minimum 3 hours in advance for all domestic flights and 4 hours in advance for all international flights. (sic.)”

The operator also said entry to the meet and greet area will be barred from August 10 to August 20.

Read more at: https://www.hindustantimes.com/cities/domestic-flyers-have-to-reach-delhi-aiport-three-hours-before-departure/story-V2WBZ81bYhopBIPucgn34H.html

So, watch if the militants strike, as said in the article in post #1, terrorists struck a military bus this past February and killed a number of soldiers in an ambush and bombing.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Some useful history in the story for those interested though, the headline, any time India and Pakistan lock horns, some will say they could go to a nuclear war, quite melodramatic.
Melodramatic? Recall.....

In May 1998, India conducted its first nuclear bomb tests since 1974 at the Indian Army Pokhran Test Range. Known as Pokhran-II, the tests involved five detonations and were followed by Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee declaring India a full nuclear state. India’s Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) had come to power in the 1998 elections with a platform promising to be “openly nuclear” and challenge Pakistan’s control of parts of Kashmir. After the Indian detonations, American diplomats attempted to dissuade Pakistan, led by Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, from following suit. Fifteen days after India’s tests, Pakistan conducted six underground nuclear tests at the Chaghi and Kharan test site.

https://adst.org/2014/07/india-and-pakistan-on-the-brink-the-1998-nuclear-tests/

They have been to this brink before.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
I've always thought these two countries would be the first to go nuclear. With the Indians going with a first preemptive strike.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Smokin Joe

I've always thought these two countries would be the first to go nuclear. With the Indians going with a first preemptive strike.
I expected South Africa until I found out they'd basically gotten rid of them before the end of Apartheid. (Good move, imo)

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Smokin' Joe wrote (of India and Pakistan):
"They have been to this brink before."

Someday, maybe not this time but someday...
... they're going to go beyond it.

India will take great losses, and survive.
But Pakistan...   will be...  gone.

Bill Cipher

I doubt they’ll go nuclear over Kashmir.

Offline Smokin Joe

I doubt they’ll go nuclear over Kashmir.
I reiterate. They have waved that saber at each other already, in the past...

https://adst.org/2014/07/india-and-pakistan-on-the-brink-the-1998-nuclear-tests/

...and it was over Kashmir.

C S Lewis

Bill Cipher

I reiterate. They have waved that saber at each other already, in the past...

...and it was over Kashmir.

Saber-waving is bluffing.  Did they actually move to prepare for launch?  Did they in fact gear up the public for nuclear war preparations?

No, they didn’t.  They were bluffing.  They never got even as close as the US and the USSR got to it over the Cuban missiles. 

They may bluff and saber-rattle again, but they won’t go nuclear.

Offline Smokin Joe

Saber-waving is bluffing.  Did they actually move to prepare for launch?  Did they in fact gear up the public for nuclear war preparations?

No, they didn’t.  They were bluffing.  They never got even as close as the US and the USSR got to it over the Cuban missiles. 

They may bluff and saber-rattle again, but they won’t go nuclear.
Between the two countries, 11 nuclear devices were detonated as shows of force. I have little doubt their missile tech is better than it was then, and Islamic fervor has only picked up in the intervening years. India has made great strides in developing their military to make it a more modern force. There have been numerous scuffles and terrorist events in that time period as well, so I won't bet they won't.

Either way, I reckon we'll find out.

C S Lewis

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Between the two countries, 11 nuclear devices were detonated as shows of force. I have little doubt their missile tech is better than it was then, and Islamic fervor has only picked up in the intervening years. India has made great strides in developing their military to make it a more modern force. There have been numerous scuffles and terrorist events in that time period as well, so I won't bet they won't.

I have little doubt their missile tech is better

There was an article a while back. Maybe a couple of years ago, that their missile tech is vastly improved.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Bill Cipher

On the last point, I agree.  We shall indeed find out. 

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
On the last point, I agree.  We shall indeed find out.

I think the key here is if moslem extremists gain control to fire off a nuclear weapon from Pakistan. Pakistan is mostly moslem. I can see the Indians going with the first strike option.

Bill Cipher

I think the key here is if moslem extremists gain control to fire off a nuclear weapon from Pakistan. Pakistan is mostly moslem. I can see the Indians going with the first strike option.

There are even more Hindu extremists.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
There are even more Hindu extremists.

True. There is a definite rise in Hindu extremist violence. As long as those two countries can keep it between themselves they can all go down in flames.