Author Topic: Republicans should jump to push for our security and self-defense  (Read 416 times)

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Republicans should jump to push for our security and self-defense
Daniel Horowitz · August 7, 2019   

This time last year, we were well into the border crisis, which has spawned a massive gang, drug, and criminal alien crisis, not to mention a huge fiscal drain on Americans. Republicans had control of all three branches of government and refused to act on anything from the border wall and drug cartels to sanctuary cities and transnational gangs. Fast-forward to a year later, and they still have done nothing, but they did give Democrats everything they wanted on the budget, which destroyed our leverage on every issue. Now, they finally found an urgency to act on public safety, but only in the exactly wrong way. They have now agreed to the entire premise of the Left on guns.

There is no middle ground. You either believe guns kill and that taking guns away from law-abiding citizens helps public safety, or you believe it is evil people who kill and that letting out bad guys from prison while taking away guns is a recipe for Baltimore. Republicans have long believed the latter, and the issues of guns and crime were the only issues where Republicans have held the line this past generation. Now, in one fell swoop, they have joined the Left on “criminal justice reform,” aka jailbreak, and are attacking guns as the source of the violence problem. The zeal they never exhibited to act on senseless murders committed by people who should never have been in the country is now evident in casting a wide net on constitutional liberties and due process.

In July, I called for Republicans to stay in session all of August to focus on a safety and security agenda for our border and to counter sanctuary cities. Now, while they didn’t decide to come back to town yet, GOP leaders have already tasked members with plans to immediately push for gun control in September, including bills to take away guns without due process while echoing and legitimizing the entire Democrat thesis on this issue. As Rep. Thomas Massie said on my podcast this week, so-called “red flag” laws will violate due process for a large number of people. This is all about going after objects, not dangerous people...............

https://www.conservativereview.com/news/republicans-jump-push-security-self-defense/

Insane!  What Trump neeeded to do was stand firm and call the shooting what it was evil.   He shouldn't have said anything about white nationalist.  I don't even think that idiot was part of any group.  He was just evil.  Evil exists.  They got Trump by the balls now.  I doubt we can even talk about border security now without Democrats calling us White Nationalists.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Re: Republicans should jump to push for our security and self-defense
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 04:40:06 am »
Pretty good article, but I disagree with a couple points:

Toughening sentences for gun and other violent felons

Ignoring the abuse of grammar, a felony is a felony.  The tool used shouldn't be an issue.

pass right-to-carry reciprocity legislation

Reciprocity?  We already have the right to carry.  The Constitution doesn't give Congress the authority to take that away, and the 2nd precludes the states, et al, from doing the same.  Reciprocity implies that our right to arm bears can be limited in the first place.  If only the founders had clearly stated this from the beginning.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Re: Republicans should jump to push for our security and self-defense
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 04:57:39 am »
Pretty good article, but I disagree with a couple points:

Toughening sentences for gun and other violent felons

Ignoring the abuse of grammar, a felony is a felony.  The tool used shouldn't be an issue.

pass right-to-carry reciprocity legislation

Reciprocity?  We already have the right to carry.  The Constitution doesn't give Congress the authority to take that away, and the 2nd precludes the states, et al, from doing the same.  Reciprocity implies that our right to arm bears can be limited in the first place.  If only the founders had clearly stated this from the beginning.

Good article, yes.  I had to go back and look at that portion again.  It did say gun and other violent crimes.  But point taken.

I can't understand why Trump has let them walk all over him on this.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.