Author Topic: Trump sees 'no political appetite' to ban assault rifles  (Read 451 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Trump sees 'no political appetite' to ban assault rifles
« on: August 07, 2019, 06:14:30 pm »
Many Democrats, including much of the presidential field, advocate reinstating the now-expired assault weapons ban that was included in the 1994 crime Bill.

"There is no political appetite for that at this moment," said Trump, who has also voiced support in recent days for "red-flag" laws, which allow police to temporarily confiscate firearms from a person deemed by a judge as posing a risk of violence.

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/united-states/trump-sees-no-political-appetite-to-ban-assault-rifles
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: Trump sees 'no political appetite' to ban assault rifles
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 07:06:02 pm »
"I can tell you there is no political appetite for that at this moment," he said.

"You could speak and do your own polling and there is no political appetite from the standpoint of legislature."

"I can only do what I can do," he added.

"I think there's a great appetite to do something with regard to making sure that mentally unstable, seriously ill people aren't carrying guns. And I've never seen the appetite as strong as it is now. I have not seen it with regard to certain types of weapons," he said.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-no-political-support-assault-rifle-controls-160450424.html

That sounds awful lot like he would do it, if he could.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Trump sees 'no political appetite' to ban assault rifles
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 07:58:53 am »
He has seen the sparks flickering on the third rail of politics in this country, and realizes it is charged.

Wisely, it appears he is keeping out of arc distance.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis