Author Topic: I Was In Kashmir During the Blackout. This Is What I Saw  (Read 368 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
I Was In Kashmir During the Blackout. This Is What I Saw
« on: August 07, 2019, 03:44:22 pm »
I Was In Kashmir During the Blackout. This Is What I Saw
Sanna Wani

On Monday, the Indian government announced that Kashmir’s constitutionally-mandated autonomy would be revoked and political rule imposed from Delhi. This northern territory, claimed by both India and Pakistan and ruled in part by each, had been largely autonomous since it agreed to join India in 1947 as its only Muslim-majority state.

Now the government has revoked that autonomy, bypassing the Kashmiri legislature, arresting local politicians, and redrawing the political map. The previous day, the government cut Internet and phone connections to the valley, meaning the rest of the world has been largely blind to what is happening on the ground. Sanna Wani, who managed to catch a flight out on Monday, told TIME about what she saw.

On Monday evening I left Kashmir, my home. I was one of the lucky ones, able to catch a flight out of the valley with my family just after the security services began enforcing the curfew. The Internet and phone networks are down; very little information can get in or out. But I can tell you what I saw.

First, something about me. I was born and raised in Canada. My parents left Kashmir during the 1990s because it wasn’t safe then. But now we try to come back every year.

Read more at: https://time.com/5646028/kashmir-blackout-eyewitness/

Bill Cipher

Re: I Was In Kashmir During the Blackout. This Is What I Saw
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 03:53:47 pm »
Basically, all she saw was lots of military and police roadblocks. 

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 03:59:37 pm »
Basically, all she saw was lots of military and police roadblocks.

That’s the article which prevents non-Kashmiris from owning land in Kashmir. People didn’t really think the government would touch Article 370, which guarantees Kashmir’s autonomy.

To me, even that little bit makes the article worthwhile, they will not be allowing this which is fairly significant. 

Though, I think in India, they are just seeing this as doing right, that the area is rightfully their's.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 11:33:20 pm »
One of these days, India and Pakistan are going to go at it "all out", using every weapon in their arsenals...