Author Topic: Trump says he’s ‘all in favor’ of background checks for weapons  (Read 2699 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
President Donald Trump said he is “all in favor” of requiring background checks for gun purchases during a Wednesday press pool on the White House lawn.

His comments came following three shootings across the country in a week. A shooting in Gilroy, California, on July 28 killed three and injured at least 13; a shooting in El Paso, Texas, killed 22 and injured 26 on Aug. 4; and a shooting in Dayton, Ohio, killed nine and injured at least 26.

“I’m looking to do background checks. I think background checks are important. I don’t want to put guns into the hands of mentally unstable people or people with rage or hate — sick people. I’m all in favor of it,” Trump told reporters. (RELATED: Background Checks Are Required To Buy Ammunition In California)

“There’s a great appetite — and I mean a very strong appetite — for background checks, and I think we can bring up background checks like we’ve never had before. I think both Republicans and Democrats are getting close to a bill. They’re doing something on background checks.”

https://dailycaller.com/2019/08/07/trump-background-checks-guns/?utm_medium=push&utm_source=daily_caller&utm_campaign=push
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline thackney

“I’m looking to do background checks. I think background checks are important. I don’t want to put guns into the hands of mentally unstable people or people with rage or hate — sick people. I’m all in favor of it,” Trump told reporters.

Background checks are already required for a gun store owner.  They don't prevent people with rage or hate from owning guns.

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online oldno7

Will be waiting to see how this is enforced in Oakland, Chicago, Boston, etc

I'm sure it will be on the news.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Background checks are already required for a gun store owner.  They don't prevent people with rage or hate from owning guns.

Exactly.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline musiclady

Question: I haven’t read anything yet.  Did either of the murderers get their guns legally? And were background checks done on them?
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline verga

In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Applewood

Will be waiting to see how this is enforced in Oakland, Chicago, Boston, etc

I'm sure it will be on the news.

There's a guy up the street from me who will sell me any piece I want.  No background checks, none of the paperwork.  Just bring the cash.  It is from people like him that the gangbangers in major cities like Chicago get their firearms.  I don't care what kind of gun control these bums in DC come up with -- if anyone really wants a firearm to use for nefarious purposes, he will be able to get it.  The only thing these expanded restrictions might do is discourage the guy who wants a firearm to protect himself and his family. 

Offline Applewood

Question: I haven’t read anything yet.  Did either of the murderers get their guns legally? And were background checks done on them?

I believe at least the El Paso shooter obtained his firearms legally. But here's the thing -- if he shooter did not have any kind of criminal record or if there was nothing in any record that would raise a red flag, then the sale was legit.  Both shooters apparently had some problems mentally and those problems were noticed by those associated with them.  But if nothing was recorded -- if they were never arrested or committed to a mental health facility, for example, how is a firearms seller supposed to know that he should not be selling weapons to this guy? 

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

But you won't support red flag laws either, which are specifically focused on a very small subset of gun owners.   For every proposal,  the reaction of the gun extremists is "no".

There's no truer cliché than the perfect being the enemy of the good.   As things stand,  extremist intransigence has the potential to lead to a backlash that will propel a Democrat to the White House and a SCOTUS majority that will overturn Heller.

Kudos to President Trump for bucking the extremists and listening to the larger community - including the community of responsible gun owners.     
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 04:31:44 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline thackney

But you won't support red flag laws either, which are specifically focused on a very small subset of gun owners.   For every proposal,  the reaction of the gun extremists is "no".

I am not as set against the concept as I am against something like an "Assault Weapon" Ban.

My biggest problem with the red flag is it doesn't solve any problem.  The same guy who decides to kill strangers with a gun can drive a Buick through the kids soccer game.  The decision to kill others isn't dependent on the gun.  No, I don't want the crazy to have fire arms.  But I also don't want the same crazy driving on the road, buying pressure cookers and propane, etc.

There's no truer cliché than the perfect being the enemy of the good.   As things stand,  extremist intransigence has the potential to lead to a backlash that will propel a Democrat to the White House and a SCOTUS majority that will overturn Heller.

Kudos to President Trump for bucking the extremists and listening to the larger community - including the community of responsible gun owners.

I think nothing is sadder than expressing outrage demanding politicians "Do Something" while not actually understanding the problem and doing something that actually makes a difference.

My biggest problem with the Red-Flag is the abuse that is certainly to follow.  The crazy ex-wife that will do anything to cause problems for her husband in the custody battle.  The crazy ex-boyfriend stalking the girl and taking away her defence from him.  I would need to understand how it will be real evidence and not made-up claims.  And I would want to understand the appeals process before I could support it.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
But you won't support red flag laws either, which are specifically focused on a very small subset of gun owners.

And who exactly determines who is crazy or not?  And how do we know their definition is correct or unbiased?   

For every proposal,  the reaction of the gun extremists is "no".

"...shall not be infringed"

Online roamer_1

You're gonna find out that those 'extremists' are pretty well everybody in every red state, all the way across flyover country.

Bad move.

Offline musiclady

I believe at least the El Paso shooter obtained his firearms legally. But here's the thing -- if he shooter did not have any kind of criminal record or if there was nothing in any record that would raise a red flag, then the sale was legit.  Both shooters apparently had some problems mentally and those problems were noticed by those associated with them.  But if nothing was recorded -- if they were never arrested or committed to a mental health facility, for example, how is a firearms seller supposed to know that he should not be selling weapons to this guy?

Exactly.

The Dayton killer was so clearly dangerous, but NOTHING was done about it.

He even got reinstated in school after he had rape/kill/skin them lists.

How exactly is red flagging or anything else going to stop a maniac like that guy?

More laws won’t stop any of this horror.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

Online roamer_1

Exhibit A of why Red Flag laws are a bad idea.

LOL! Any of them folks in the pics could be my neighbors.

:beer:

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Exactly.

The Dayton killer was so clearly dangerous, but NOTHING was done about it.

He even got reinstated in school after he had rape/kill/skin them lists.

How exactly is red flagging or anything else going to stop a maniac like that guy?

More laws won’t stop any of this horror.

Jason Chaffetz: To stop more shootings, stop erasing criminal records of juveniles prone to violence

He's right!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
LOL! Any of them folks in the pics could be my neighbors.

:beer:

Same here if I'm back home in Kentucky or visiting friends in Texas.  But Liberals like Frum...and rest assured he's not alone...see the people in those pictures as candidates for Red Flag laws.

And that is why we can't trust that the laws will be used in a non biased way...ever.

Online roamer_1

Same here if I'm back home in Kentucky or visiting friends in Texas.  But Liberals like Frum...and rest assured he's not alone...see the people in those pictures as candidates for Red Flag laws.

And that is why we can't trust that the laws will be used in a non biased way...ever.

Yeah, I knew that when I learned that LEOs were trained to treat anyone with Rebel flag or Gadsen flag stickers on their trucks as terrorists... That's anyway half the pickups in this state.

BTW, Local LEOs put that training right where it belonged.... in the circular file.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Yeah, I knew that when I learned that LEOs were trained to treat anyone with Rebel flag or Gadsen flag stickers on their trucks as terrorists... That's anyway half the pickups in this state.

I still remember that DHS secretary Janet Napolitano labeled Iraq and Afghanistan vets like myself as homegrown terrorists.

I guess I'll be automatically on the list for being red flagged

BTW, Local LEOs put that training right where it belonged.... in the circular file.

Same here in Colorado.

Offline musiclady

Online mountaineer

But here's the thing -- if he shooter did not have any kind of criminal record or if there was nothing in any record that would raise a red flag, then the sale was legit.  Both shooters apparently had some problems mentally and those problems were noticed by those associated with them.  But if nothing was recorded -- if they were never arrested or committed to a mental health facility, for example, how is a firearms seller supposed to know that he should not be selling weapons to this guy?
Exactly. They want gun dealers to be mind readers to discern exactly how the purchaser might use the weapon. Or better yet, just don't let anyone buy a gun. Problem solved!  :thud:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Bill Cipher

Dear all:  if you cannot come up with some creative way of reducing gun violence; if your only response continues to be denial, then you will end up with the Second Amendment being repealed and all privately owned guns being seized by the federal government, through house-by-house search most likely, because one sure way to drastically reduce gun violence is to make sure there are no privately owned guns any more. 

If that is the result you want, so be it.  But you cannot day you weren’t warned.

This is just like the gay marriage issue, where conservatives simply denied, denied, denied, and refused to give any recognition whatsoever to gay couples; end result?  Gay marriage as such is now enshrined in the Constitution.

Now flame away.  It really doesn’t bother me in the least.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Dear all:  if you cannot come up with some creative way of reducing gun violence; if your only response continues to be denial, then you will end up with the Second Amendment being repealed and all privately owned guns being seized by the federal government, through house-by-house search most likely, because one sure way to drastically reduce gun violence is to make sure there are no privately owned guns any more. 

If that is the result you want, so be it.  But you cannot day you weren’t warned.

This is just like the gay marriage issue, where conservatives simply denied, denied, denied, and refused to give any recognition whatsoever to gay couples; end result?  Gay marriage as such is now enshrined in the Constitution.

Now flame away.  It really doesn’t bother me in the least.

Sage advice.   But it won't be taken.   

I think conservatives have a death wish.  So be it.   I have no confidence whatsoever that the GOP will prevail next year;  indeed,  I believe we will lose both the Presidency and Congress.  And with it, the courts and the Second Amendment.    There's nothing to be done.   Folks won't listen, folks are incapable of thinking tactically. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online mountaineer

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline berdie

Exactly. They want gun dealers to be mind readers to discern exactly how the purchaser might use the weapon. Or better yet, just don't let anyone buy a gun. Problem solved!  :thud:

If I remember correctly...the fruitcake that shot up the south Texas church had military records that indicated he was a fruitcake. But they weren't turned over to the registry. How in the devil is a gun dealer supposed to know ...given the lack of criteria?

You are right. They will drive gun dealers out of business out of fear.