Author Topic: Trump says he’s ‘all in favor’ of background checks for weapons  (Read 2700 times)

Online roamer_1

Either they never were Conservative, or they have succumbed to the howling of the press advocating the destruction of our republic.

I dunno. What I do know is that there is a vast difference. And that people don't seem to believe me when I say I can see no difference between that type and Democrats. I really do mean it...
And this issue highlights that difference perfectly.

I seriously offer prayers for and condolences to the victims and survivors of these incidents, but I'm not willing to let our rights be washed away with their blood, and if any of them had been in the US military, or otherwise sworn to protect and defend the Constitution of the US I doubt the victims would be either.

That's right.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Then why is my North Dakota Concealed Weapons permit not recognized in New York?

Setting aside the question of why having to get a permit does not violate "shall not be infringed" in the first place, because it's a permit to carry in ND issued by ND, just like my FL fishing license is for fishing in FL.  A marriage, or a "marriage", is a compact between (at least for now) two (at least for now) people, validated by the state, and that validation crosses state borders.  A permit to carry or fish is between the state and a citizen.   

The question I would ask is why my drivers license is accepted in, or can be revoked by, all other states -- unless there's some legislation I'm not aware of that says so.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Setting aside the question of why having to get a permit does not violate "shall not be infringed" in the first place, because it's a permit to carry in ND issued by ND, just like my FL fishing license is for fishing in FL.  A marriage, or a "marriage", is a compact between (at least for now) two (at least for now) people, validated by the state, and that validation crosses state borders.  A permit to carry or fish is between the state and a citizen.   

The question I would ask is why my drivers license is accepted in, or can be revoked by, all other states -- unless there's some legislation I'm not aware of that says so.
Phooey. A license is a license is a license. I'm not talking about hunting or fishing, nor taking anything from New York but my healthy and unmolested self, with the property that is mine, of course.

If I am licensed to carry concealed weapons (yes, plural, mine is not limited to a firearm but a long list of dangerous weapons as well), that indicates that I have been subjected to a State and Federal Background check, and received approval to carry deadly weapons on my person from people who actually know me.

In other words, Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. only applies sometimes, when judges find it convenient.

Where does that leave the rest of the Constitution?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Phooey. A license is a license is a license. I'm not talking about hunting or fishing, nor taking anything from New York but my healthy and unmolested self, with the property that is mine, of course.

If I am licensed to carry concealed weapons (yes, plural, mine is not limited to a firearm but a long list of dangerous weapons as well), that indicates that I have been subjected to a State and Federal Background check, and received approval to carry deadly weapons on my person from people who actually know me.

In other words, Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. only applies sometimes, when judges find it convenient.

My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

You want a CCW to transfer across state lines, but not a "marriage" license?

A license is a license is a license

I believe in an originalist reading of our Constitution, even when I don't like the results.

Online Smokin Joe

You want a CCW to transfer across state lines, but not a "marriage" license?

A license is a license is a license

I believe in an originalist reading of our Constitution, even when I don't like the results.
My point is that some licenses seem to be more equal than others. If my CCW isn't good, then their cohabitation license shouldn't be either. Marriage (Holy Matrimony) should be the provenance of the Church, imho, and government never should have intruded there. YMMV.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline verga

Then why is my North Dakota Concealed Weapons permit not recognized in New York?
Because all of the Dimmies running NYS are a bunch of corrupt lying sacs of cat Poop.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline verga

That's right.

That there are people here, supposedly conservative people, advocating for red flag laws and real capitulation on R2KBA should tell you something too.
Initially I thought they might not be too bad, then I saw how they could be abused, much like SWATTING.
Things like this can be used to easily modified and abused to inflict damage to "political" enemies.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline verga

Personally I am opposed to states being involved in marriage at all. It should be up to a couple choice of a house of worship, or they can enter into a legally binding contract if they don't want a religious ceremony.

Online roamer_1

Initially I thought they might not be too bad, then I saw how they could be abused, much like SWATTING.
Things like this can be used to easily modified and abused to inflict damage to "political" enemies.

OH YEAH. Guaranteed.

Offline thackney

Personally I am opposed to states being involved in marriage at all. It should be up to a couple choice of a house of worship, or they can enter into a legally binding contract if they don't want a religious ceremony.

I've talked to pastors who don't like being an "agent of the state" when it comes to marriage.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

Phooey. A license is a license is a license.

@InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

I agree. My "license" is the 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution. A license so important to the Founding Fathers it was Number 2 on their "To do List".
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I've talked to pastors who don't like being an "agent of the state" when it comes to marriage.

@thackney

I am betting they all like it when they think about how much money they can put in their pockets at the end of the year because they are tax exempt.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Smokin Joe

@thackney

I am betting they all like it when they think about how much money they can put in their pockets at the end of the year because they are tax exempt.
You want to bet that judges don't put that honorarium in their pockets without bothering to claim it?
 :silly:

(They don't pay taxes on their building, either.)

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

@thackney

Pastors pay taxes.  The church turns in W2 for them.  The tax exempt is only for the church, which is non-profit. 
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Smokin Joe

Pastors pay taxes.  The church turns in W2 for them.  The tax exempt is only for the church, which is non-profit.

Yabbut, taxes pay the judges and for the building. If you don't like that church, you don't have to chip in.

C S Lewis

Offline Absalom

Eternal Vigilance is the price of Liberty.

Complacency when "our guys" are in power has proven to be a mistake.
---------------------------------
There hasn't been a Principled Conservative in the WH since
the era of Jefferson, Madison and Monroe, two centuries ago
and likely never will be again !!!
We have changed dramatically as a people and for the worse.
Cold, hard reality which only the delusional ignore!

Online Smokin Joe

No argument here.

C S Lewis

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

@Absalom

I beg to differ!  IF you had said since Calvin Coolidge you would have been more correct.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

So, adapt to the times.   Work with allies to make sure needed laws are less intrusive and respect your rights. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online Smokin Joe

So, adapt to the times.   Work with allies to make sure needed laws are less intrusive and respect your rights.
What allies?

Anyone who proposes to infringe upon my Rights is no ally.

C S Lewis

Offline Absalom

@Absalom
I beg to differ!  IF you had said since Calvin Coolidge you would have been more correct.
-------------------------------
Repeating, all are entitled to their opinions which I completely reject.
The GOP emerged in 1856 w/Fremont from California.
From it's very first days it had absolutely nothing to do w/Conservatism.
It was a political entity of the Northern Mercantile Class opposed to slavery.
It's early pillars, continuing all through its ascendancy from Lincoln to Hoover;
when it dominated the Presidency, Congress and SCOTUS appointments, were:
* opposition to States Rights and advocacy of Centralized Government.
* strong support for trade Protectionism and rejection of Free Trade.
* Judicial advocacy in support of executive and legislative actions.
* Corporate taxation to replace duties, excises and tariffs.
Our only honorable conservative party was the Agrarian and Rural Democrats
of Rutledge, Henry, Lee, Madison among others; fatally tarred by slavery which
sadly led to it's demise.
Add to that, a handful from the Federalist Party, and that constitutes the
sum total of the conservative presence in our political history.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
-------------------------------
Repeating, all are entitled to their opinions which I completely reject.
The GOP emerged in 1856 w/Fremont from California.
From it's very first days it had absolutely nothing to do w/Conservatism.
It was a political entity of the Northern Mercantile Class opposed to slavery.
It's early pillars, continuing all through its ascendancy from Lincoln to Hoover;
when it dominated the Presidency, Congress and SCOTUS appointments, were:
* opposition to States Rights and advocacy of Centralized Government.
* strong support for trade Protectionism and rejection of Free Trade.
* Judicial advocacy in support of executive and legislative actions.
* Corporate taxation to replace duties, excises and tariffs.
Our only honorable conservative party was the Agrarian and Rural Democrats
of Rutledge, Henry, Lee, Madison among others; fatally tarred by slavery which
sadly led to it's demise.
Add to that, a handful from the Federalist Party, and that constitutes the
sum total of the conservative presence in our political history.

I totally agree with almost all of that but that does not change the fact that Calvin Coolidge was, in fact, a conservative.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Absalom

I totally agree with almost all of that but that does not change the fact that Calvin Coolidge was, in fact, a conservative.
--------------------------
I stand corrected.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
The question is what will you do when they take away that right by fiat.

I’ll laugh, while they try to stuff everything of mine into that clown car, then shoot the tires out with an airgun.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.