Author Topic: Republicans Fear ‘Extinction in the Suburbs’ Over Gun Control  (Read 10382 times)

Offline Night Hides Not

Re: Republicans Fear ‘Extinction in the Suburbs’ Over Gun Control
« Reply #350 on: August 12, 2019, 03:44:42 pm »
And it won't stop there either, unless we stop it.
Britain has drop boxes where you can turn in your knives no questions asked.
Britain.
 **nononono*

Folks think they ain't gonna go that far here.

Hard for me to believe, but it was 50 years ago that my parents gave me a Buck knife for Christmas. Like many of my friends, I took it to school everyday, safely secured in the scabbard on my belt. There were never any instances of one student taking their knife out in anger.

O/T, but I just reconnected with a good friend from HS. We'd spend quite a few weekends, and nights during the summer at bowling alleys that stayed open 24 hours. We'd bowl until about 4 or 5, then head off to breakfast before getting home at 6 AM or so.

Can't do that today, with all the curfews put on minors today.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #351 on: August 12, 2019, 04:02:30 pm »
Hard for me to believe, but it was 50 years ago that my parents gave me a Buck knife for Christmas. Like many of my friends, I took it to school everyday, safely secured in the scabbard on my belt. There were never any instances of one student taking their knife out in anger.

@Night Hides Not

I have a little rancher style penknife, given to me by one of my 'dutch uncles' that taught me the bush... It was a small prize for my first blooded trap, when I was but a lad. That little sliver gitter is still wicked sharp, and sitting in my right pocket right now.

And as for the high school, that little penknife was in my pocket all the way through high school (and the rest of my life), as was a Schrade/Uncle Henry Papa Bear in my back pocket - (where it's successor, a Schrade Old Timer Cave Bear, resides right now), slid down alongside my wallet...

I can remember many a time playing our own version of Mumblety Peg out on the lawns in front of the auto-mech building with that big Schrade folder. The school nurse would carry on some if somebody's aim was off and stuck somebody in the foot - A rather rare occasion - But otherwise, no troubles.

O/T, but I just reconnected with a good friend from HS. We'd spend quite a few weekends, and nights during the summer at bowling alleys that stayed open 24 hours. We'd bowl until about 4 or 5, then head off to breakfast before getting home at 6 AM or so.

Can't do that today, with all the curfews put on minors today.

Yeah... I remember buggin the gut... It just ain't done anymore. What a sad thing that is.  **nononono*
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 04:03:36 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #352 on: August 12, 2019, 04:10:16 pm »
@txradioguy

A absolute bald-faced lie.

It was the DIMS that started that crap,and the media all piled on and started calling Trump a baby-killer,etc,etc,etc because he was against gun control.

Trump finally had to appear to be in favor of the least offensive part (least offensive only because it was ALREADY the law) in order to counter the Fascist left,and even the Fascist right campaigns against him and his supporters.

He is a President,NOT a dictator. As is traditional,he lost control of Congress during the mid-terms,and this has made his life and his term even harder. What he is trying to do is not poison the waters for the Republican congressional candidates whose support and votes he needs for things like immigration control,voter ID's,etc,etc,etc.

ALL of these things are as important as stopping more gun laws. We are now fighting for the very existence of our nation,not just gun rights.

No @sneakypete .  It's not a lie.  He's said it.   

"We must make sure that those judged to pose a grave risk to public safety do not have access to firearms and that if they do those firearms can be taken through rapid due process," Trump said, according to USA TODAY's reporting. "That is why I have called for red flag laws, also known as extreme risk protection orders."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/donald-trump-supports-red-flag-laws-heres-how-it-works-in-indiana/ar-AAFqDxb

Now unless you're wanting us to believe that's a made up quote.  He's for red flag laws...and he's for expanded background checks.

He even thinks he can get the NRA to come around to his point of view.

"I think in the end, Wayne and the NRA will either be there or maybe will be a little bit more neutral — and that would be OK too," Trump said Friday.

Trump added: "Frankly, we need intelligent background checks. This isn't a question of NRA, Republican or Democrat."

https://www.ktnv.com/news/national/trump-says-he-believes-nra-will-get-there-on-background-checks
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline skeeter

« Reply #353 on: August 12, 2019, 04:14:49 pm »

Good grief I had forgotten about that. Every other guy had a Buck knife on his belt at my high school here in the SF bay area. Some of em were pretty substantial. Never a single problem.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #354 on: August 12, 2019, 04:20:27 pm »
Good grief I had forgotten about that. Every other guy had a Buck knife on his belt at my high school here in the SF bay area. Some of em were pretty substantial. Never a single problem.

A knife is merely another tool none of which have any capacity to act without human intervention.  The problem is NOT the tools it's the people.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline skeeter

« Reply #355 on: August 12, 2019, 06:58:49 pm »
A knife is merely another tool none of which have any capacity to act without human intervention.  The problem is NOT the tools it's the people.

Yes. The problem is not the gun. The problem is us.

The left will never concede that, because we have become products of their ideology, sadly.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #356 on: August 12, 2019, 07:02:01 pm »
Yes. The problem is not the gun. The problem is us. 

Don't red flag laws address the problem of us?   :pondering:

@skeeter

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #357 on: August 12, 2019, 07:05:48 pm »

@skeeter

Not @skeeter but the answer is NO!  In fact, they exacerbate it!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline skeeter

« Reply #358 on: August 12, 2019, 07:12:12 pm »

@skeeter

Leaving aside that a law allowing the arbitrary seizure of an individual's property without due process should be an anathema to all Americans, what I'm referring to is spiritual.

This nation is increasing defective in that regard and these mass shootings are a mere symptom.

Btw I believe Trump will not go down the red flag route, but will focus on universal background checks instead.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 07:16:57 pm by skeeter »

Offline libertybele

« Reply #359 on: August 12, 2019, 07:53:33 pm »
Leaving aside that a law allowing the arbitrary seizure of an individual's property without due process should be an anathema to all Americans, what I'm referring to is spiritual.

This nation is increasing defective in that regard and these mass shootings are a mere symptom.

Btw I believe Trump will not go down the red flag route, but will focus on universal background checks instead.

Yes moral decay and shunning Christianity adds to the increase in our nation's violence and disregard for human life.  I find it ironic that the leftist approve of late term abortions, pushing GOD out of our schools, yet are appalled and supposedly besides themselves when there is a mass shooting.  It's somehow ok to destroy hundreds of fetus', sell fetal tissue, yet, go gun grabbing after law abiding citizens when a mass shooter opens up on innocents.  Last time I checked the unborn, and late term fetus' were innocents as well, yet you don't hear them proposing to do a darn thing -- abortion is a woman's right!

Red flag laws are going to do NOTHING to address the real problem; those with severe mental health issues.  We need to find a way to get help to those people who truly need it and stop trying to punish law abiding gun owners for incidents that they have nothing to do with.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #360 on: August 12, 2019, 08:55:11 pm »
@txradioguy

A absolute bald-faced lie.

It was the DIMS that started that crap,and the media all piled on and started calling Trump a baby-killer,etc,etc,etc because he was against gun control.

Trump finally had to appear to be in favor of the least offensive part (least offensive only because it was ALREADY the law) in order to counter the Fascist left,and even the Fascist right campaigns against him and his supporters.

He is a President,NOT a dictator. As is traditional,he lost control of Congress during the mid-terms,and this has made his life and his term even harder. What he is trying to do is not poison the waters for the Republican congressional candidates whose support and votes he needs for things like immigration control,voter ID's,etc,etc,etc.

ALL of these things are as important as stopping more gun laws. We are now fighting for the very existence of our nation,not just gun rights.
When the media come out against the slaughter of abortion they they can point the 'baby killer' finger--AND NOT UNTIL.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #361 on: August 20, 2019, 10:29:26 am »
A Republican senator was booed and heckled by her constituents when she was challenged about America's gun control laws.

At a town hall in her home state of Iowa, a teacher told Joni Ernst that she had recently been asked to listen to sounds to "determine if they were gunshots or not."

The educator who did not reveal her name, added that she had "asked to be trained to man a family reunification centre to provide counselling to parents seeking their children following a catastrophic event."

Questioning the senator, she said: "When can I plan to get back to trainings that simply teach children to read and write?"

https://www.yahoo.com/news/something-republican-senator-heckled-she-234309302.html

I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #362 on: August 20, 2019, 11:06:19 am »
A Republican senator was booed and heckled by her constituents when she was challenged about America's gun control laws.

At a town hall in her home state of Iowa, a teacher told Joni Ernst that she had recently been asked to listen to sounds to "determine if they were gunshots or not."

The educator who did not reveal her name, added that she had "asked to be trained to man a family reunification centre to provide counselling to parents seeking their children following a catastrophic event."

Questioning the senator, she said: "When can I plan to get back to trainings that simply teach children to read and write?"

https://www.yahoo.com/news/something-republican-senator-heckled-she-234309302.html
Tell her there has never been a reason to stop teaching children to read and write.
Mass shootings in Iowa have been mostly family affairs, with rare exception, and one hasn't taken place at a school since a 1991 shooting at the U of I over a physics award. Perhaps it would be more in order to train for their job rather than an event which has never occurred.

https://siouxcityjournal.com/news/state-and-regional/iowa/worst-mass-killings-in-iowa-history/collection_820b7aef-daac-5c8e-a07b-179e6fa9acf6.html#16

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #363 on: August 20, 2019, 03:05:20 pm »
Tell her there has never been a reason to stop teaching children to read and write.
Mass shootings in Iowa have been mostly family affairs, with rare exception, and one hasn't taken place at a school since a 1991 shooting at the U of I over a physics award. Perhaps it would be more in order to train for their job rather than an event which has never occurred.

https://siouxcityjournal.com/news/state-and-regional/iowa/worst-mass-killings-in-iowa-history/collection_820b7aef-daac-5c8e-a07b-179e6fa9acf6.html#16

I am a survivor of that shooting.

Well, at least according to Camera Hogg.  I had class at the time in the building where most of the shootings took place, but I "survived" because I wasn't there at the time.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #364 on: August 20, 2019, 03:06:32 pm »
I am a survivor of that shooting.

Well, at least according to Camera Hogg.  I had class at the time in the building where most of the shootings took place, but I "survived" because I wasn't there at the time.
It was a good day not to be there.

C S Lewis