Author Topic: Republicans Fear ‘Extinction in the Suburbs’ Over Gun Control  (Read 10264 times)

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
I know what I'm doing @roamer_1   I know we cannot hide from the conversation and debate before us.  Your arguments against red flag laws are falling on deaf ears because they pale in comparison to the carnage we have a front row seat to far too often.

"Do Something!” is the rallying cry.  And no civilized soul who has watched Americans bury so many of our innocent dead would find fault with this.

There will be negotiations and your pro-pure 2nd Amendment crowd must do better.

You better hope that Trump doesn’t cave to this “Do Something” garbage.

I quickly sketched out some examples, there are countless more, every time the citizens are whipped up into these inane frenzies, rights are lost, the nation suffers:

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,371180.0.html#top

Trump will lose a significant portion of his base if he caves to this crap.

@Right_in_Virginia

Offline Right_in_Virginia

You better hope that Trump doesn’t cave to this “Do Something” garbage.

@Right_in_Virginia 

Snap out of it @EdJames   The President will hold the line on weapons bans ... but something will be done.  There's no more wiggle room on this.  America is simply too tired of burying her innocent dead. 

If you've got something to add or remove ... other than a flat out "no" ... to the coming Red Flag legislation, now is the time to do it.

Offline EdJames

Snap out of it @EdJames   The President will hold the line on weapons bans ... but something will be done.  There's no more wiggle room on this.  America is simply too tired of burying her innocent dead. 

If you've got something to add or remove ... other than a flat out "no" ... to the coming Red Flag legislation, now is the time to do it.

Sorry, our Rights aren’t negotiable on a sliding scale, or otherwise.

Trump needs to resist these emotional appeals and lead the nation in focusing on the root causes.

Setting up a system where legal gun owners’ right can be stripped away at the whim of the judiciary for crimes yet to be committed is not the solution he is looking for.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer

You snap out of it. He’s been ready to do this before, in the wake of the Stoneman-Douglas shooting. It’s not a cave, but a return to his true position, from 2000.

”I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s internet technology we should be able to tell within 72 hours if a potential gun owner has a record.”

https://theintercept.com/2016/01/27/donald-trump-in-2000-i-support-the-ban-on-assault-weapons/

President Trump Asks Dianne Feinstein to Add ‘Assault Weapons’ Ban to School Safety Bill

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2018/02/28/president-trump-asks-dianne-feinstein-add-assault-weapons-ban-school-safety-bill/
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline roamer_1

Trump needs to resist these emotional appeals and lead the nation in focusing on the root causes.

Setting up a system where legal gun owners’ right can be stripped away at the whim of the judiciary for crimes yet to be committed is not the solution he is looking for.

That's right.
 :beer:

In a perfect world, you are right; but these killings and the debate are happening in the real world @EdJames   People just don't like burying their loved ones.

Red Flag laws actually bring the conversation back to the root causes.  The President has repeatedly said mental illness and hate pull the trigger, it's not the gun.  Spend the next year proving this and recommending concrete ways to usher in change.

But in the meantime, let's stop the next guy with a hit list.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 12:12:55 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline EdJames

I'm sorry that you don't understand, these "laws" aren't going to stop anyone that is bent on killing...  individuals or masses.

Human emotions (positive or negative) are not part of the equation in the infringement of our natural rights.

This is just more "feel good" nonsense that he is allowing himself to get bullied into.

What will he say when they tell him that it is not enough?  Will he shut off the Jarvanka wing and say "No?"  Or will he cave further?

I'm sorry that you don't understand, these "laws" aren't going to stop anyone that is bent on killing...  individuals or masses.

Human emotions (positive or negative) are not part of the equation in the infringement of our natural rights.

I'm sorry you don't understand where all of this is going.  It's too little and too late to tell parents and husbands and wives that we can't stop *any* individual hell bent on killing.  Remember this:  The most fundamental of our natural rights is the right to life.

I'm on your side @EdJames   But, your talking points are ringing shrill.  This is not a debate class in college, this is a debate in the world as it is and you're losing, badly. You're now even against taking guns out of the hands of the mentally ill with a hit list.

I'm sorry, but you can no longer can tell people they must accept the deaths of innocents as a consequence of your right to own the guns of your choice.  There has been too much bloodshed.

Do better, my friend. Do better.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I am all for solving our border problem.

I am completely against surrendering one shred of the RKBA to do so.

The problems are independent of each other.

Guarding the border (providing for the mutual defense of the States) is a Constitutional Mandate.

Incidentally, so is keeping government's sticky fingers off our Right to Keep and Bear Arms.

Just go by the Constitution, and quit even considering sacrificing parts of it as a bargaining chip to get the other parts.
The inevitable end of such machinations is the destruction of the Republic, in toto.

"A house divided against itself cannot stand."

@Smokin Joe

And there it is. Giving up even ONE TINY individual freedom RECOGNIZED by the Constitution is allowing the camel's nose under the tent. Next thing you know,the whole damn camel is sleeping on top of you.

Being a "little bit free" is like being a "little bit" pregnant.  You have a problem that will only grow.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
When you throw away the rule book, what's the point of having rules?

@InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Our new masters will be more than happy to teach us all that point once they complete the takeover.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline EdJames

I'm sorry you don't understand where all of this is going.  It's too little and too late to tell parents and husbands and wives that we can't stop *any* individual hell bent on killing.  Remember this:  The most fundamental of our natural rights is the right to life.

I'm on your side @EdJames   But, your talking points are ringing shrill.  This is not a debate class in college, this is a debate in the world as it is and you're losing, badly. You're now even against taking guns out of the hands of the mentally ill with a hit list.

I'm sorry, but you can no longer can tell people they must accept the deaths of innocents as a consequence of your right to own the guns of your choice.  There has been too much bloodshed.

Do better, my friend. Do better.

So what are you suggesting, that we lie to them and tell them that we can?

If you go by the media and bullshit politicians of many stripes, then your premise of "losing, badly" in the debate may be true.

But you keep forgetting, Rights aren't up for debate.

This is also a bullshit premise: "...you can no longer can tell people they must accept the deaths of innocents as a consequence of your right to own the guns of your choice."

The deaths of innocents come from the sickness in our society and the breakdown of the civil society.

If Trump is the leader that he says that he is, it is incumbent on him to guide the dialogue in this direction, and not join the chorus scapegoating "guns" as the problem.

@Right_in_Virginia

So what are you suggesting, that we lie to them and tell them that we can?

If you go by the media and bullshit politicians of many stripes, then your premise of "losing, badly" in the debate may be true.

But you keep forgetting, Rights aren't up for debate.

The deaths of innocents come from the sickness in our society and the breakdown of the civil society. 
@Right_in_Virginia 

I'm not suggesting we lie to anyone @EdJames because I'm convinced we could have stopped the killer in Florida and Dayton.  I'm not saying we can stop all ... but damn it, man, why wouldn't we be supportive of stopping even one?  Again .... if rights aren't up for debate then this includes the right to life.

Why wouldn't we want to stand as the people who want to stop the killing .... really stop the killing?  I repeat myself but red flag laws pave the way for a discussion and action on our failing mental health care, the importance (not the breakdown) of the family unit, fathers working with mothers, limiting the internet for developing hearts, minds and souls, working with community leaders and faith leaders .... the list is endless and each item on the list addresses the root cause of the carnage.

And you know what, Ed ... we will have changed the focus of the conversation from guns to the quality of our collective lives.  Take this as an opportunity not to defend guns but to defend life and your guns and the natural right to own them will be safe.

The democrats know this -- which is why they are so damn determined to include further gun control in the legislation being debated.  THEY know if we change the dialogue, they lose.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I'm not suggesting we lie to anyone @EdJames because I'm convinced we could have stopped the killer in Florida and Dayton.  I'm not saying we can stop all ... but damn it, man, why wouldn't we be supportive of stopping even one?  Again .... if rights aren't up for debate then this includes the right to life.

Why wouldn't we want to stand as the people who want to stop the killing .... really stop the killing?  I repeat myself but red flag laws pave the way for a discussion and action on our failing mental health care, the importance (not the breakdown) of the family unit, fathers working with mothers, limiting the internet for developing hearts, minds and souls, working with community leaders and faith leaders .... the list is endless and each item on the list addresses the root cause of the carnage.

And you know what, Ed ... we will have changed the focus of the conversation from guns to the quality of our collective lives.  Take this as an opportunity not to defend guns but to defend life and your guns and the natural right to own them will be safe.

The democrats know this -- which is why they are so damn determined to include further gun control in the legislation being debated.  THEY know if we change the dialogue, they lose.

:facepalm2:  **nononono*
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline roamer_1

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
They are on the same side as Planned Parenthood, yeah, real principled. Those disenchanted can vote for Kamala Harris I suppose. I'm not behind any changes in the law but I'm a realist at the same time.

Stop with the false straw man arguments to distract from the topic at hand.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

This is just more "feel good" nonsense that he is allowing himself to get bullied into.

What will he say when they tell him that it is not enough?  Will he shut off the Jarvanka wing and say "No?"  Or will he cave further?

I explained this to her yesterday.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline skeeter

I explained this to her yesterday.

Its worse than that - national red flag laws over time will directly result in many more innocent deaths than would be otherwise lost in 'mass shootings'.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Its worse than that - national red flag laws over time will directly result in many more innocent deaths than would be otherwise lost in 'mass shootings'.

@skeeter any of these so called "common sense" gun laws will result in that.  These laws never EVER punish the criminals the insane or the truly evil that slaughter people...they don't care about the laws.  These gun control laws always punish the law abiding gun owners who have weapons for numerous weapon to include self defense against criminals.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
“It’s up to us as Americans to demand change from the gutless leadership that continues to allow this to happen and continues to somehow claim the second amendment is doing its job. The Second Amendment is about the right to defend yourself. The only thing that Second Amendment is doing is leading to mass murder right now. This is all just insanity.”

Kerr’s Twitter feed has been full of posts and reposts calling for stricter gun control, criticizing Trump and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Kentucky) since the shootings.

Though he’s clearly frustrated with the lack of action in Congress, Kerr does think change is just around the corner.

“It’s going to happen. The momentum is building,” Kerr said, via the Bay Area News Group. “People are more and more frustrated in our country. I think at this point, the vast majority of people in this country have had it. Now it’s a matter of taking action.”

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/usa-basketball-gregg-popovich-steve-kerr-lawmakers-action-mass-shootings-donald-trump-el-paso-dayton-215830714.html

They’re probably right, because both Barr and Trump have a history of supporting an assault weapons ban.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline skeeter

@skeeter any of these so called "common sense" gun laws will result in that.  These laws never EVER punish the criminals the insane or the truly evil that slaughter people...they don't care about the laws.  These gun control laws always punish the law abiding gun owners who have weapons for numerous weapon to include self defense against criminals.

Saving innocent lives was never the goal of hardcore gun control advocates.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
“It’s up to us as Americans to demand change from the gutless leadership that continues to allow this to happen and continues to somehow claim the second amendment is doing its job. The Second Amendment is about the right to defend yourself. The only thing that Second Amendment is doing is leading to mass murder right now. This is all just insanity.”

Kerr’s Twitter feed has been full of posts and reposts calling for stricter gun control, criticizing Trump and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Kentucky) since the shootings.

Though he’s clearly frustrated with the lack of action in Congress, Kerr does think change is just around the corner.

“It’s going to happen. The momentum is building,” Kerr said, via the Bay Area News Group. “People are more and more frustrated in our country. I think at this point, the vast majority of people in this country have had it. Now it’s a matter of taking action.”

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/usa-basketball-gregg-popovich-steve-kerr-lawmakers-action-mass-shootings-donald-trump-el-paso-dayton-215830714.html

They’re probably right, because both Barr and Trump have a history of supporting an assault weapons ban.

@edpc my guess is that Trump will move back to his 2000 stance on guns (with Barr's support) after he wins in 2020 and he doesn't have to worry about reelection.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

Correct!  It's about control.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!

Nope, it's all about disarming the citizens, and we have numerous historical examples of what happens next.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
They better pay more attention to the rural route, where their bread is buttered.

That's what I was thinking... You don't want to scare or piss off rural gun owners.

"Don't Tread On Me!" ... means what it says.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline roamer_1

That's what I was thinking... You don't want to scare or piss off rural gun owners.

"Don't Tread On Me!" ... means what it says.

@DCPatriot
That's right. If there are any issues that will instantly catapult right wing voters into 'Oh Hell No', it would be R2KBA and R2L. Mess with either one *at all* and there will be hell to pay.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 02:25:31 pm by roamer_1 »