Author Topic: Republicans Fear ‘Extinction in the Suburbs’ Over Gun Control  (Read 10266 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
After two gruesome mass shootings in a 24-hour span, some Republicans are raising alarms that their opposition to new firearm limits is making the party toxic to the suburban women and college graduates who will shape the 2020 election.

“Republicans are headed for extinction in the suburbs if they don’t distance themselves from the NRA. The GOP needs to put forth solutions to help eradicate the gun violence epidemic,” said Dan Eberhart, a Republican donor and oil-and-gas executive who supports President Donald Trump.

https://news.yahoo.com/republicans-fear-extinction-suburbs-over-080000684.html;_ylt=AwrE1.EGiEldNWIA3jZx.9w4;_ylu=X3oDMTByMjB0aG5zBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline edpc

“The GOP needs to make several moves such as universal background checks, eliminating loopholes and banning military-style assault weapons to neutralize the issue,” he said. “Otherwise, Republicans will lose suburban voters just like they did in the midterms on health care.”

The Great Capitulation begins.

Offline skeeter

After two gruesome mass shootings in a 24-hour span, some Republicans are raising alarms that their opposition to new firearm limits is making the party toxic to the suburban women and college graduates who will shape the 2020 election.

“Republicans are headed for extinction in the suburbs if they don’t distance themselves from the NRA. The GOP needs to put forth solutions to help eradicate the gun violence epidemic,” said Dan Eberhart, a Republican donor and oil-and-gas executive who supports President Donald Trump.

https://news.yahoo.com/republicans-fear-extinction-suburbs-over-080000684.html;_ylt=AwrE1.EGiEldNWIA3jZx.9w4;_ylu=X3oDMTByMjB0aG5zBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--

How utterly irrational it is to characterize this as a gun violence problem.

Offline edpc

AG Barr has a history of favoring 2A restrictions. The signs of a sellout are emerging.

On the assault weapon front, the proposal before us is the DeConcini amendment. And I think … I would support both the Brady Bill waiting period and the DeConcini [semi-auto ban] amendment, provided that they were parts of a broader and more comprehensive crime bill that included … very tough provisions on the use of firearms in crimes and illegal purchase and trading in firearms…

https://freedomoutpost.com/william-barr-is-a-gun-confiscation-advocate/

Barr’s track record of statements about gun control caused some gun rights groups to oppose his nomination for attorney general, arguing at the time of his Senate confirmation hearing that he backed confiscation orders and gave ambiguous responses when asked whether he would support a nationwide ban on semi-automatic firearms.

[snip]

A second administration official said Trump has “tremendous respect” for Barr and is looking to him for counsel. It’s no coincidence, the official said, that Trump specifically mentioned Extreme Risk Protection Orders, or red-flag laws, in his remarks Monday. (Barr told the Senate Judiciary Committee in January that advancing ERPOs was “the single most important” action Congress could take “in the gun control area.”)

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/08/05/trump-executive-action-guns-1448612

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
“The GOP needs to make several moves such as universal background checks, eliminating loopholes and banning military-style assault weapons to neutralize the issue,” he said. “Otherwise, Republicans will lose suburban voters just like they did in the midterms on health care.”

The Great Capitulation begins.

When you are right, you are right.  It has already begun.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline roamer_1

They better pay more attention to the rural route, where their bread is buttered.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
AG Barr has a history of favoring 2A restrictions. The signs of a sellout are emerging.

On the assault weapon front, the proposal before us is the DeConcini amendment. And I think … I would support both the Brady Bill waiting period and the DeConcini [semi-auto ban] amendment, provided that they were parts of a broader and more comprehensive crime bill that included … very tough provisions on the use of firearms in crimes and illegal purchase and trading in firearms…

https://freedomoutpost.com/william-barr-is-a-gun-confiscation-advocate/

Barr’s track record of statements about gun control caused some gun rights groups to oppose his nomination for attorney general, arguing at the time of his Senate confirmation hearing that he backed confiscation orders and gave ambiguous responses when asked whether he would support a nationwide ban on semi-automatic firearms.

[snip]

A second administration official said Trump has “tremendous respect” for Barr and is looking to him for counsel. It’s no coincidence, the official said, that Trump specifically mentioned Extreme Risk Protection Orders, or red-flag laws, in his remarks Monday. (Barr told the Senate Judiciary Committee in January that advancing ERPOs was “the single most important” action Congress could take “in the gun control area.”)

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/08/05/trump-executive-action-guns-1448612

That's right.... anytime that you hear Trump crow about talking to AG Barr on this topic, you should be very wary....

Offline LMAO

I have not seen an election were a candidate lost because he/she opposed gun control. It seems outside the media/DC bubble it’s not really an issue with that turns an election

The problem with too many Republicans is they think the New York Times represents the thinking of the average every day Americans
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
They better pay more attention to the rural route, where their bread is buttered.

10-4.  Additionally, they'll lose the Suburban vote because those folks are close to the heat of urban decay.  Trump could blow 2020 quite easily if he caves on the Second Amendment.  I know, you aren't going to vote for him anyway, but there are people who would that will be lost.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline roamer_1

10-4.  Additionally, they'll lose the Suburban vote because those folks are close to the heat of urban decay.  Trump could blow 2020 quite easily if he caves on the Second Amendment.  I know, you aren't going to vote for him anyway, but there are people who would that will be lost.

This kind of thing is exactly why I won't vote for him. He doesn't understand the principle of the thing, and would not stand for it anyway if it were unpopular. Y'all better scream to high heaven and make one helluva stink to overcome the volume from the gungrabbers, or he will think he is doing the right thing.

Offline skeeter

This kind of thing is exactly why I won't vote for him. He doesn't understand the principle of the thing, and would not stand for it anyway if it were unpopular.

Perhaps he doesn't. Neither did any of his recent predecessors. Neither does most of the GOP.

It looks like we have no voice.

Offline roamer_1

Perhaps he doesn't. Neither did any of his recent predecessors. Neither does most of the GOP.

It looks like we have no voice.

Right - And thus my vote of no confidence. Throw the bastards out. All of em.
Then you and me will be singing the same song.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
This kind of thing is exactly why I won't vote for him. He doesn't understand the principle of the thing, and would not stand for it anyway if it were unpopular. Y'all better scream to high heaven and make one helluva stink to overcome the volume from the gungrabbers, or he will think he is doing the right thing.

You bet we will.  I'm going to a meet & greet with Senator McSally this week, and she'll get an earful.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline roamer_1

You bet we will.  I'm going to a meet & greet with Senator McSally this week, and she'll get an earful.

Daines just might do the right thing. He can be conservative at times.
Testercle? Nope. Liberal eastern farmer.
Gianforte? Nope. definitely a GOP yes-man.
I don't know the other feller, since Zinke went to Dept of Int. Wish he was still in the House right now.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Politics and governing demand compromise. - Barry Goldwater.
https://www.azquotes.com/quote/602892

Trump understands principle, he understands the right to life. I thought folks bragged on how they were Goldwater conservatives, well Goldwater said politics and governing demanded compromise.  As usual some principled position seems built on BS but if we can wallow in our own self-aggrandizing pompous righteous, why not?  They don't help. Good riddance, we don't need them to remind us of this constantly, they do nothing, they abandoned principle.  Spare us the morality speech, hey, the rural areas are unfortunately pretty well offset by the urban.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 04:59:05 pm by TomSea »

Offline libertybele

Politics and governing demand compromise. - Barry Goldwater.
https://www.azquotes.com/quote/602892

Trump understands principle, he understands the right to life. I thought folks bragged on how they were Goldwater conservatives, well Goldwater said politics and governing demanded compromise.  As usual some principled position seems built on BS but if we can wallow in our own self-aggrandizing pompous righteous, why not?  They don't help. Good riddance, we don't need them to remind us of this constantly, they do nothing, they abandoned principle.

??? IF Trump indeed understood principle he would not have proclaimed that he is for red flag laws.  That isn't principle that's caving to the liberal left and surrendering on the 2nd Amendment, THE most important right that we have as every other right is dependent upon it.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline edpc

Trump understands principle, he understands the right to life.

Trump understands political expediency and convenience, which is why he has been on both sides of every major political issue, since this century began.

Offline TomSea

They are on the same side as Planned Parenthood, yeah, real principled. Those disenchanted can vote for Kamala Harris I suppose. I'm not behind any changes in the law but I'm a realist at the same time.

Offline TomSea

This isn't the Reagan era or the Nixon era though, Trump may well be better than these two, even Reagan. Already, this thing happening in El Paso could energize the voting base for Dems in TX, don't tell me they don't already have solid blue areas in the Rio Grande Valley, San Antonio, El Paso and so on. This is all a struggle.

Offline jpsb

Says the guy that voids to never vote for Trump. Too funny. In politics you have to play the hand you were dealt,
not fold every hand.

Candidates you support might listen to you, candidate you don't won't.

Offline roamer_1

Says the guy that voids to never vote for Trump. Too funny. In politics you have to play the hand you were dealt,
not fold every hand.

Candidates you support might listen to you, candidate you don't won't.

@jpsb
So you are *FOR* bump stock bans and red flag laws... How much more will you swallow before you realize your freedoms are being sold down the river by the very people you are supporting?

Keep voting them in, requiring less and less of them... You can see where you are going now. It's on you.

Offline jpsb

@jpsb
So you are *FOR* bump stock bans and red flag laws... How much more will you swallow before you realize your freedoms are being sold down the river by the very people you are supporting?

Keep voting them in, requiring less and less of them... You can see where you are going now. It's on you.

@roamer_1

If we not solve our border problem we will lose EVERYTHING, with no chance of ever getting the country back.
So I keep my eye on the big picture. bump stock bans don't brother me one bit and I don't think people that are
really badly mentally ill need semi-auto weapons. Red flags laws brother me, they can easily be abused. But like
I said border security is at the top of my list and Trump is doing everything he can to secure the border and
stop the flow of illegals into the USA so he still has my support.

Offline montanajoe

This is exactly why I will vote for whatever Dim is on 2020 ticket....

With Trump the GOP/ Conservative side of 2020 American politics will always be divided and Trump will seek the help of the Dims to pass legislation should he win another term   e.g. the budget deal.... At least with a Dim in office the GOP and Conservatives will be united in opposition to any 2A legislation and nothing will get done.... :shrug:

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
This is exactly why I will vote for whatever Dim is on 2020 ticket....

Thanks for clarifying.

With Trump the GOP/ Conservative side of 2020 American politics will always be divided and Trump will seek the help of the Dims to pass legislation should he win another term   e.g. the budget deal.... At least with a Dim in office the GOP and Conservatives will be united in opposition to any 2A legislation and nothing will get done.... :shrug:

By that reasoning we should never vote for any Republican for anything. :shrug:

It's a view.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Night Hides Not

@roamer_1

If we not solve our border problem we will lose EVERYTHING, with no chance of ever getting the country back.
So I keep my eye on the big picture. bump stock bans don't brother me one bit and I don't think people that are
really badly mentally ill need semi-auto weapons. Red flags laws brother me, they can easily be abused. But like
I said border security is at the top of my list and Trump is doing everything he can to secure the border and
stop the flow of illegals into the USA so he still has my support.

IMO, Trump has done very little to secure the border, nowhere near what he's promised over the past 3 years.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.