Author Topic: The most effective gun control laws are not weapons bans, study says  (Read 1322 times)

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Gun control is more than banning certain types of weapons. State and local laws affecting who can purchase and carry firearms may, in fact, be more effective than banning the sale and possession of automatic or semi-automatic weapons.

That's the conclusion of a new study by researchers at Boston University that examined state gun laws in an effort to determine the impact of those laws, either singly or in conjunction with other laws, in lowering the rate of homicides and suicides in the state.

The study analyzed 10 different state firearms laws over a 26-year period and found three that, when enforced in conjunction with one another, reduced the rate of homicides and suicides by more than a third.

Neither banning assault weapons nor banning high-capacity magazines shows any statistical significance in reducing firearm-related homicide rates, according to the study.

The three most effective state laws in reducing homicide rates were universal background checks, prohibiting people who have committed a violent offense from owning a handgun and "may-issue" as opposed to "shall-issue" concealed-carry permits. A may-issue permit is granted at the discretion of the police, while a shall-issue one allows no discretionary judgment provided the permit seeker is not disqualified on some other ground.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/08/05/el-paso-shooting-dayton-gun-control-laws-should-not-be-weapons-bans/39317131/
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: The most effective gun control laws are not weapons bans, study says
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 01:56:37 pm »
The "May-Issue" laws can have unintended consequences.

For example, years ago Houston ended up having a very large number of Class 3 NFA dealers because the local LEO refused to sign most every Class 3 purchase application. The way around having to get his signature was to apply for a Class 3 "Dealer's License" which many people did in order to purchase a Class 3 weapon.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Rule #39
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 01:37:16 pm »
If you want to know how well "may issue" permits work...look at California and New York.  They are effective in preventing you and I from getting a permit and allow only the corrupt and the connected to get them.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 01:51:45 pm »
If you want to know how well "may issue" permits work...look at California and New York.  They are effective in preventing you and I from getting a permit and allow only the corrupt and the connected to get them.

Exactly right. The same is true in Massachusetts, and it's nearly impossible to get a license there unless you are a friend or patron of your local police chief.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline verga

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 02:13:17 pm »
Open carry vs. Concealed carry.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2019, 02:27:07 pm »
@txradioguy

Years ago, I went to a popular gun store and bought a shotgun/rifle/revolver.  The clerk went to the back to call the govn. about me - forget what that is called, a list the FBI has?  He came back and exclaimed, "Wow. There is nothing on your record!"  I immediately thought, of course there is nothing - and he is surprised?  What kind of people are buying guns that he thinks it is amazing there is nothing on my record?

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Rule #39
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2019, 02:35:39 pm »
@txradioguy

Years ago, I went to a popular gun store and bought a shotgun/rifle/revolver.  The clerk went to the back to call the govn. about me - forget what that is called, a list the FBI has?  He came back and exclaimed, "Wow. There is nothing on your record!"  I immediately thought, of course there is nothing - and he is surprised?  What kind of people are buying guns that he thinks it is amazing there is nothing on my record?

@Victoria33 he did a NICS check on you to see if you had a criminal record.  Which is why these silly calls for a "universal background check" are so stupid.  And as I've found out you don't have to have a criminal record to be forced to wait 3 days if your NICS check doesn't automatically come back as good.

Until I got my Kentucky CCDW I'd get held up because I have a security clearance. 
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2019, 03:02:48 pm »
@Victoria33 he did a NICS check on you to see if you had a criminal record.  Which is why these silly calls for a "universal background check" are so stupid.  And as I've found out you don't have to have a criminal record to be forced to wait 3 days if your NICS check doesn't automatically come back as good. Until I got my Kentucky CCDW I'd get held up because I have a security clearance.
@txradioguy

Here is another story:  I bought a tiny revolver a few years ago.  I was filling out the required form, and I said it was ridiculous to have on the form to check if you are a felon.  He said, "A man came in to buy a weapon and he checked he was a felon.  I told him I could not sell the gun to him if he checked that.  He would not change it, so I could not sell him the gun." 

The interesting part of that is, he would have sold it to him even though he was a felon if he could get the guy to change it.  He wanted the sale more than he wanted to keep a weapon from a felon.  Makes no sense, does it, to have that on the form.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2019, 12:07:46 am »
If he lies on the form it may be flagged by the NICS Background Check and he just committed another felony.

Justice Dept. to Prioritize Prosecutions for Lying in Gun Background Checks

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/22/us/politics/gun-background-checks-prosecutions.html

Thousands of prospective gun buyers are denied firearm purchases every year through the F.B.I.’s National Instant Criminal Background Check System. Prospective buyers must fill out a six-page application, including whether they have ever been convicted of or indicted in a crime, which would disqualify them from purchasing a firearm.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2019, 11:18:07 pm »
Some congressional asshattery:
Lacy Clay introduces PEACE Act, which mandates deadly force as last option for law enforcement
    KMOV.com Staff
    Updated 57 min ago | Posted on Aug 9, 2019

ST. LOUIS (KMOV.com) -- Friday Congressman Lacy Clay of St. Louis announced a new legislative measure to change the federal standard for the use of force by federal law enforcement officers.

The PEACE Act would change the use of force to be a last resort, rather than a first resort, and require officers to employ de-escalation techniques.

PEACE stands for Police Exercising Absolute Care with Everyone.

The bill would also require states who wish to get federal funding for law enforcement to enact similar legislation.  ...

“It’s a very uninformed position the Congressman is taking. Every police department in the United States has a continuum of force that they go through before they use deadly force. There’s not a police department in the country that doesn’t use deadly force as a last resort. I don’t know what the goal of this legislation is other than making noise,” Jeff Roorda, business manager for the St. Louis Police Officers Association said.  ...
Full story at KMOV
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2019, 11:34:09 pm »
There’s not a police department in the country that doesn’t use deadly force as a last resort.

I am sure that they all state that, but for way to many of them its only "Lip Service"

Offline thackney

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2019, 01:56:29 am »
There’s not a police department in the country that doesn’t use deadly force as a last resort.

I am sure that they all state that, but for way to many of them its only "Lip Service".

Of course it is always the last resort.  Who the heck would be taking further actions AFTER deadly force?

Even when first it is still the last.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2019, 02:06:46 am »
Of course it is always the last resort.  Who the heck would be taking further actions AFTER deadly force?

Even when first it is still the last.

I agree that its always the last resort, but many, many times further actions are taken AFTER deadly force, by applying MORE deadly force. By emptying their gun into their victim, reloading, even sometimes firing some more. Just to be sure.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2019, 07:24:29 am »
I agree that its always the last resort, but many, many times further actions are taken AFTER deadly force, by applying MORE deadly force. By emptying their gun into their victim, reloading, even sometimes firing some more. Just to be sure.
Then there is the half hour before EMS is allowed in to the scene, almost enough time to bleed out from a bad hangnail.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis