Author Topic: Graham to offer bipartisan 'red flag' bill with Trump's support  (Read 211 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Graham to offer bipartisan 'red flag' bill with Trump's support
The Hill, Aug 5, 2019

Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) said on Monday that he will introduce bipartisan legislation encouraging states to create "red flag" laws and that President Trump is "very supportive" of the idea.

Graham, in a statement, said he has reached a deal with Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) on a bill that would start a federal grant program to help and encourage states to create " 'red flag' protection order" laws, which are meant to make it easier for law enforcement to identify mentally ill people who should be banned from purchasing guns.

“These grants will be given to law enforcement so they can hire and consult with mental health professionals to better determine which cases need to be acted upon. This grant program also requires robust due process and judicial review. It does allow for quick action," Graham said in the statement.

More:  https://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/senate/456205-graham-to-offer-bipartisan-red-flag-bill-with-trumps-support

Offline rustynail

Re: Graham to offer bipartisan 'red flag' bill with Trump's support
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 11:37:02 am »
"National red flag laws and
no wall
no eo on birthright citizenship
no mass deportations
no prosecution of sanctuary city leaders
WINNING"

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 11:49:22 am »
So what's the problem with red flag laws?   They target people who are threats,  rather than ban guns as the threat.
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 12:02:42 pm »
@rustynail @Jazzhead

I suspect @rustynail has not bothered to read the text of Graham's bill or any detailed description.  The potential problem with red flag laws is that badly drafted ones with inadequate due process provisions become a way for the state to harass and disarm law abiding citizens based essentially on denunciations.  There have been extensive discussions of the necessary features of a red flag law to make it simultaneously useful in stopping mass shootings and not obnoxious to liberty in numerous articles on National Review Online.  I believe Maryland was recently in the process of passing one which would have been obnoxious to liberty, though I may be misremembering the state involved.  I'll go look for an excerpt to post as a thread-starter.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.