Author Topic: Dow plunges more than 760 points amid US-China tensions  (Read 4529 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Dow plunges more than 760 points amid US-China tensions
« on: August 05, 2019, 08:45:34 pm »
Dow plunges more than 760 points amid US-China tensions
By Niv Elis - 08/05/19 04:23 PM EDT

The Dow Jones Industrial Average plummeted 767 points on Monday in U.S. stocks' biggest drop this year, as President Trump's trade war with China ratcheted up.

The Dow closed at 25,717, erasing all its gains since January 2018. At its lowest point in the day, the index was down a whopping 950 points.

Markets had their worst day since December 4th, 2018, when the Dow fell 799 points. The S&P 500 closed down 89 points, and the NASDAQ plunged 278.

In terms of points, the drop was the sixth worst day in the Dow's history, but in percentage terms the Dow's 2.9-percent drop did not register in the top 20 worst days, a reflection of the recent peaks which markets have reached. All three markets had set new records in July.

more
https://thehill.com/policy/finance/456258-dow-plunges-more-than-760-points-amid-us-china-tensions
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Dow plunges more than 760 points amid US-China tensions
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 08:59:54 pm »
Maybe China saw the two shootings, and the predictable negatives for Trump, and the time to jump on the band wagon, like democrats, the media and weak Republicans.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 09:03:33 pm »
in percentage terms the Dow's 2.9-percent drop did not register in the top 20 worst days,

That fact will be absent in the nightly news. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online libertybele

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 11:35:28 pm »

IMHO, don't expect a rebound anytime soon.  This is more than market cycle. 

One article came out that the top 1% are selling stocks and buying up real estate. IMHO, definitely not a good sign, as they are foreseeing a recession, people losing their jobs and consequently foreclosing on their homes and they will be there to buy up real estate.  Not a good scenario.

Other articles are stating that right now the clear winner is undetermined -- again not a good scenario as I see that as this may be a long term trade war; certainly won't bode well for either side.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-superrich-are-selling-stocks-buying-properties-and-keeping-cash-ready-2019-08-05?mod=MW_home_top_stories

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/who-has-the-upper-hand-in-the-us-china-trade-war-2019-08-05?mod=mw_theo_homepage

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online libertybele

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 11:37:37 pm »

??  I don't ever remember a 700+ point drop.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 11:48:52 pm »

A 700 point drop in a 26,000 is about the same as a 350 point drop when the market was at 13,000.  There have been many days with higher percentage losses than today.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online dfwgator

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 11:58:27 pm »
Bet it goes up at least 300 points tomorrow.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2019, 12:09:51 am »
IMHO, don't expect a rebound anytime soon.  This is more than market cycle. 

One article came out that the top 1% are selling stocks and buying up real estate. IMHO, definitely not a good sign, as they are foreseeing a recession, people losing their jobs and consequently foreclosing on their homes and they will be there to buy up real estate.  Not a good scenario.

Other articles are stating that right now the clear winner is undetermined -- again not a good scenario as I see that as this may be a long term trade war; certainly won't bode well for either side.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-superrich-are-selling-stocks-buying-properties-and-keeping-cash-ready-2019-08-05?mod=MW_home_top_stories

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/who-has-the-upper-hand-in-the-us-china-trade-war-2019-08-05?mod=mw_theo_homepage

I am calling all that horse hockey.  The traders did their usual knee jerk reaction to a news cycle.  It is how they roll.   

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2019, 12:24:19 am »
I am calling all that horse hockey.  The traders did their usual knee jerk reaction to a news cycle.  It is how they roll.

No it is horse hockey that my 401k is being screwed cause of the stupid tarriffs.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline aligncare

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2019, 12:35:15 am »
Maybe China saw the two shootings, and the predictable negatives for Trump, and the time to jump on the band wagon, like democrats, the media and weak Republicans.

Speculative, but with about as much chance of turning out true as anything else in this crazy political atmosphere we find ourselves in.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2019, 12:37:34 am »
Bet it goes up at least 300 points tomorrow.

Chicoms decided to play scorched earth with that currency devaluation today.  That alone tells Trump that they have no intention of negotitating anymore.  As I said earlier, the best thing we can do as Americans is to do our best to avoid Chinese goods where posssible.  The point is to make them hurt more than we do.

Based on today, I expect Trump to escalate the tariff duties.  But if anyone says they know exactly how this going to play out? They don't know what they are talking about. 

Yes, there are going to be wide flunctuations, but IMO the overall direction of the market is going to be downward.  Hunker down Briefers
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 12:43:33 am by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Wingnut

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2019, 12:42:16 am »

No it is horse hockey that my 401k is being screwed cause of the stupid tarriffs.

Then you need to adjust your 401K to another fund. 

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2019, 12:56:08 am »
Then you need to adjust your 401K to another fund.

@scottlincicome
The guy who lost money selling steaks, vodka, gambling & football may soon be piloting a global currency war I'm sure it'll be fine.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2019, 01:05:02 am »

There was one in 2008 when Congress rejected TARP, that many believe caused them to go back and pass the ^%#%^*& thing.

There were five last year, including the only two > 1,000 points.  [Last year also included the only > 1,000 point gain].
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2019, 01:20:37 am »
If you want to blame someone blame Bush 41.  IIRC he's the one that put these Chicom bastards in play.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline corbe

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2019, 01:32:09 am »
           I respectfully disagree @Bigun

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Wingnut

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2019, 01:33:53 am »

@scottlincicome
The guy who lost money selling steaks, vodka, gambling & football may soon be piloting a global currency war I'm sure it'll be fine.

Don't get stuck on stupid.  Your 401 is not in danger.

Offline corbe

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2019, 01:40:26 am »

@scottlincicome

I love It @kevindavis

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2019, 01:44:51 am »

The only reason that 401k of yours will be screwed is if you sell at a loss.  And if you do sell and take a loss after the impressive runup for the past several years, your financial acumen is suspect in purchasing equities.

Are you not familiar with how the stock markets work?

And if your retirement plans are screwed based upon the last few months when the US finally decided to react to the unfair trade practices of China and other countries, then you do not understand how to properly plan for retirement.

Maybe it would be a safer plan for you to just plan on working instead of retiring.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 02:46:04 am by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2019, 02:07:55 am »
           I respectfully disagree @Bigun

Well, OK @corbe.  It was 41 who gave them most favored nation status though.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2019, 02:47:34 am »
DOW futures are down about 1% at last hour.  If that holds, market tomorrow will open with another 250 or so point drop.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2019, 06:57:32 am »
SPX futires well off their lows as of right now.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2019, 01:11:30 pm »

@kevindavis

According to Trump supporters, you are not supposed to be concerned about your retirement because even if it your 401(k) goes down the drain, it's a small sacrifice to make for all the good this trade war is going to do for the entire country.  To be concerned about your future is selfish and unpatriotic. 

I don't bother trying to reason with these folks anymore..  At some point, when their own nest eggs go kaplooey, maybe then they will find out for themselves how wrong they have been.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 01:15:17 pm by Applewood »

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Wingnut

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2019, 01:52:17 pm »
I see the sun came up today and the market is recovering.

U.S. stock indexes opened higher Tuesday, recouping some of their losses after China’s central bank signaled it wouldn’t let the yuan fall much further, steadying a stock market that had been reeling from escalating trade tensions.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 184 points, or 0.7%, to 25901 shortly after the opening bell. The S&P 500 climbed 0.8% and the Nasdaq Composite added 1.3%. The moves follow gains in Europe and broad declines across Asia.