Author Topic: China Retaliation Is ‘11’ on Scale of 1 to 10, Wall Street Warns  (Read 1582 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Analysts continued to warn about the dangers of an escalating trade war on Monday, as China moved to strike back at the U.S., hitting U.S. stocks and Treasury yields.

Semiconductors, with direct exposure to trade, and banks stocks, which are sensitive to interest rates, were among the decliners. The biggest U.S. banks, including JPMorgan Chase & Co., Bank of America Corp. and Citigroup Inc., shed more than 2% in early trading. Micron Technology Inc. fell 5.6% while Texas Instruments Inc. lost 3.3% and Intel Corp. was down 3.4%. Apple Inc. dropped 4.3%, the most since May 20.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/china-retaliation-11-scale-1-123135905.html
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline kevindavis007

Winning.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline skeeter

Winning.

Because devaluing your currency to virtually nothing to offset the effects of tariffs is definitely a winning long term strategy.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

the sky is falling....
-Chicken Little
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
the sky is falling....
-Chicken Little
—and Chinese moles
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
So the Chinese are getting a taste of what they've been doing to us for years, and suddenly now it's a trade war?
The Republic is lost.

Offline skeeter

So the Chinese are getting a taste of what they've been doing to us for years, and suddenly now it's a trade war?

IMO this tactic they've adapted here is tantamount to pointing a gun at one's head and threatening to shoot unless the tariffs are removed.

Offline edpc

IMO this tactic they've adapted here is tantamount to pointing a gun at one's head and threatening to shoot unless the tariffs are removed.

This isn’t just in response to tariffs. There are other factors like arms sales to Taiwan, protests in Hong Kong, and the militarization of artificial islands in the South China Sea.

Offline skeeter

This isn’t just in response to tariffs. There are other factors like arms sales to Taiwan, protests in Hong Kong, and the militarization of artificial islands in the South China Sea.

How does devaluing their currency and refusing US soy beans address these issues?

Offline edpc

How does devaluing their currency and refusing US soy beans address these issues?

Political leverage. It’s a two-pronged strategy that goes after typical republican supporters in the business world and heartland.

Offline skeeter

Political leverage. It’s a two-pronged strategy that goes after typical republican supporters in the business world and heartland.

Nothing that a few billion in federal subsidies to key farm states won’t fix.  ***guitar man****

Seriously, this is a battle that had to be fought.

Offline edpc

Nothing that a few billion in federal subsidies to key farm states won’t fix.

Seriously, this is a battle that had to be fought.

It’s not that simple. The midwest had a brutal winter, combined with the government shut down. That delayed data from the agricultural department, giving them an idea of what crops to plant. Additionally, there was major flooding along the Missouri River, this spring. There’s a vast amount of farmland that couldn’t support crops this year. The Chinese know what they’re doing, with the timing of this maneuver.

Offline skeeter

It’s not that simple. The midwest had a brutal winter, combined with the government shut down. That delayed data from the agricultural department, giving them an idea of what crops to plant. Additionally, there was major flooding along the Missouri River, this spring. There’s a vast amount of farmland that couldn’t support crops this year. The Chinese know what they’re doing, with the timing of this maneuver.

On the other hand Xi Jinping is currently facing some hardening opposition from several directions at home. This is probably somewhat responsible for his hardline against the US. I guess we'll see how it plays out.

Offline edpc

On the other hand Xi Jinping is currently facing some hardening opposition from several directions at home. This is probably somewhat responsible for his hardline against the US. I guess we'll see how it plays out.

They are, but in the end, they are an authoritarian government. He’s not going anywhere. We can probably expect some kind of crack down in Hong Kong, very soon.

Offline Absalom

Great nations are the result of Wise Men as history affirms.
China has never been, is not and will never be a great nation
given its autocratic and closed minded leadership. NEVER!
It is nothing more than a large land mass in SE Asia
whose leading character traits are fraud and deceit.

Offline edpc

U.S. farmers are exasperated by latest trade war moves: 'Another nail in the coffin'

“This is just another nail in the coffin,” Tyler Stafslien, a North Dakota-based soybean farmer, told Yahoo Finance. “To see this thing only seems to be getting worse rather than better is very concerning, and the American taxpayers may have to foot another round of funding if this keeps up — or we could see a ton of farmers’ loss throughout this nation.”

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/trade-war-china-us-farmers-171843698.html

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
U.S. farmers are exasperated by latest trade war moves: 'Another nail in the coffin'

“This is just another nail in the coffin,” Tyler Stafslien, a North Dakota-based soybean farmer, told Yahoo Finance. “To see this thing only seems to be getting worse rather than better is very concerning, and the American taxpayers may have to foot another round of funding if this keeps up — or we could see a ton of farmers’ loss throughout this nation.”

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/trade-war-china-us-farmers-171843698.html

Yada yada yada,

Offline edpc

Yeah – it’s only his livelihood, WTF does he know?     *****rollingeyes*****

Online Wingnut

Yeah – it’s only his livelihood, WTF does he know?     *****rollingeyes*****

He's a rat and never trumper.  Not objective.

Elections for the North Dakota State Senate took place in 2016. The primary election took place on June 14, 2016, and the general election was held on November 8, 2016. The candidate filing deadline was April 11, 2016. Incumbent John Warner (D) did not seek re-election.

Jordan Kannianen defeated Tyler Stafslien in the North Dakota State Senate District 4 general election
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 01:43:33 am by The Ghost »