Author Topic: With a new vacancy on the Texas Supreme Court, attention turns to diversity concerns  (Read 618 times)

Offline corbe

With a new vacancy on the Texas Supreme Court, attention turns to diversity concerns

Gov. Greg Abbott has his third opportunity to appoint a judge to the state's highest civil court. His first two picks were white men.

by Emma Platoff Aug. 5, 2019

The first and only all-woman Texas Supreme Court came about by accident.

The legal question was about as interesting as any — the El Paso-area land rights of a fraternal organization called Woodmen of the World — but all three male justices on the court in 1925 were members of that club, as were the prominent male attorneys then-Gov. Pat M. Neff considered as potential replacements. Ultimately, Neff settled on a novel path forward: For a single sitting, he appointed three women to the court.

The court is three times larger now, but it hasn’t had such a high proportion of women — or even a higher number of women — since. It wasn’t for six more decades that a woman was appointed to serve full-time on the court, and fewer than 10 women have served as full-time justices at all.

Currently, there are just two women on the state’s highest civil court, the same as the number of justices named Jeffrey B.

<..snip..>

https://www.texastribune.org/2019/08/05/texas-supreme-court-diversity-vacancy-abbott-appoint/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

To hell with diversity.

I just want people who support the Texas and US Constitution, no matter what ethnicity, gender or religion they happen to be.

Do all those women on the US Supreme Court for the sake of diversity help or hurt that cause?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 03:26:54 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
 Diversity is just another word for exclusion. Take diversity and shove it. Pick the best person for the job.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline thackney

Diversity is just another word for exclusion.

I want to remember that phrase.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I want to remember that phrase.

It is a Ghost original.  You may use it at will!
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline thackney

It is a Ghost original.  You may use it at will!

Proverbs 17:27
Life is fragile, handle with prayer