Author Topic: China Takes on Trump by Weakening Yuan, Halting Crop Imports  (Read 226 times)

Offline thackney

China Takes on Trump by Weakening Yuan, Halting Crop Imports
« on: August 05, 2019, 01:52:47 pm »
China Takes on Trump by Weakening Yuan, Halting Crop Imports
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-08-05/china-hits-back-at-trump-with-weaker-yuan-halt-on-crop-imports
August 5, 2019

China responded to President Donald Trump’s tariff threat with another escalation of the trade war on Monday, letting the yuan tumble to the weakest level in more than a decade and asking state-owned companies to suspend imports of U.S. agricultural products.

The moves antagonized Trump, who used Twitter to accuse China of “currency manipulation” which “will greatly weaken China over time!” He has previously criticized Beijing for not keeping to promises to buy more U.S. crops.

Stocks and emerging-market currencies sank on concern a prolonged conflict between the superpowers will weigh on global economic growth, while haven assets including the Japanese yen, U.S. Treasuries and gold climbed. Investors increased bets on Federal Reserve interest-rate cuts.

"It’s among the worst-case scenarios," said Michael Every, head of Asia financial markets research at Rabobank in Hong Kong. "First markets sell off, then Trump wakes up and this all gets far, far worse."

In a statement published Monday evening in Beijing, People’s Bank of China Governor Yi Gang said China won’t use the yuan as a tool to deal with trade disputes....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline corbe

Re: China Takes on Trump by Weakening Yuan, Halting Crop Imports
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 03:02:10 pm »
China just threw its next punch in the trade war

By Jonathan Garber Published August 05, 2019

China isn't backing down in its trade war with the United States.

Beijing responded to President Trump's threat to place new tariffs on Chinese goodsOpens a New Window.  on Monday by letting its currency, the Chinese yuan, sink to the weakest level in over a decade and ordering state-owned companies to reportedly halt their purchases of U.S. agricultural products.

The onshore Chinese yuan weakened to worse than seven per U.S. dollar, hitting its lowest level since 2008, as Beijing looks to cushion the blow from Trump's tariffs. A weaker yuan makes Chinese goods cheaper for overseas buyers, which may be necessary as China just lost its spot as the US's biggest trading partner.

Trade data released Friday by the Department of Commerce showed U.S. imports from China fell by 12% in the first six months of the year, allowing Mexico to supplant it as the U.S.'s biggest trade partner.

"China dropped the price of their currency to an almost a historic low," Trump tweetedOpens a New Window.  on Monday. "It’s called “currency manipulation.” Are you listening Federal Reserve? This is a major violation which will greatly weaken China over time!"

Last week, Trump said beginning Sept. 1 the U.S. would place a 10% tariff on the remaining $300 billion of Chinese goods. He went ahead with the announcement despite objections from his advisers.

<..snip..>

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/china-trade-war-renminbi-weaker-agricultural-purchases-stop
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline kidd

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 03:22:53 pm »
So does this mean that this offsets the tariffs and thus Chinese crap will cost American consumers the same?

However, China is going to starve because they'll have to pay more for the food that they're not going to import?

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 03:34:01 pm »
Maybe the one thing I have liked about Trump has been his tough talk on trade, and I support him 100% on this matter.

Too many years now, the Chicoms and others have bent us over without vaseline on Free Trade.

And please spread the word.....   I have done this forever, but ANY time you are buying a product, (1) check to make sure it is not made in China, (2) If it is, can an alternate be bought product or location, and finally (3) If the 1st 2 options fail......Can you do without this item.

If we all did this patriotically as a country, we could collectively give the Chicoms the finger.

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 04:24:55 pm »
Hey if China want their people to starve, fine by me.  Reduce the excess tong gau population.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.