Author Topic: Donald Trump Suggests Linking Gun Control Legislation To Immigration Laws  (Read 1868 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
WASHINGTON – After two mass shootings over the weekend, President Donald Trump suggested Monday that Congress link immigration laws to new legislation requiring stronger background checks for gun buyers.

"Republicans and Democrats must come together and get strong background checks, perhaps marrying his legislation with desperately needed immigration reform," Trump tweeted.

He did not provide details on possible legislation regarding gun control, background checks, or immigration.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/08/05/mass-shooting-trump-suggests-linking-gun-control-immigration-laws/1919672001/
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 12:12:36 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Donald J. Trump‏
Verified account  @realDonaldTrump

We cannot let those killed in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio, die in vain. Likewise for those so seriously wounded. We can never forget them, and those many who came before them. Republicans and Democrats must come together and get strong background checks, perhaps marrying....

....this legislation with desperately needed immigration reform. We must have something good, if not GREAT, come out of these two tragic events!

3:54 AM - 5 Aug 2019

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1158330513951735809

He did not provide details on possible legislation regarding gun control, background checks, or immigration.

Methinks he's working with his caucus on the direction and the details now.

Offline edpc

This attempt to parlay the issue is, IMO, ill-advised and has Stephen Miller written all over it. The message comes off as victim blaming, incredibly tone deaf, and will backfire.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 12:32:46 pm by edpc »

This attempt to parlay the issue is, IMO, ill-advised and has Stephen Miller written all over it. The message comes off as victim blaming, incredibly tone deaf, and will backfire.

We shall see   :shrug:

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Keep my Rights separate from immigration Law, thankyouverymuch.
Immigration control (Part of providing for the common defense) is a Duty of the Federal Government.

I'm not willing to trade my Rights for them doing their f*cking job.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online rustynail

Going to ban private transfer?  Some are saying.

Offline edpc

Keep my Rights separate from immigration Law, thankyouverymuch.
Immigration control (Part of providing for the common defense) is a Duty of the Federal Government.

I'm not willing to trade my Rights for them doing their f*cking job.

What initially bothered me about the approach is what you alluded to - potential horse trading on rights. Also, they spent a good deal of time yesterday, blaming the actions on mental illness. Now, they’re intertwining the two issues, with the El Paso shooting. Well, now, you’re basically equating defense of 2A and demand for immigration reform with mental illness. Thanks for that.

Online Smokin Joe

They might make it illegal, but how will that stop it? Such transactions occur daily in areas where they are already banned.
It doesn't work, but there is a rollicking trade in black market guns.

All it will do, and pay attention here, is provide the government with a growing list of who has what, where, and we know where such databases end up. History provides that answer. The BATFE was making a database of NICS checks during the Clinton Administration. Do you think they really stopped or destroyed that? I have no faith that they did whatsoever.

All crap like this does is engender contempt for the government from a new group of people, and contempt for the law as well. That is not a good road to go down.

BTW, I remember people buying a gun through the mail, no paperwork, and the only government involvement was the postman delivering the check to the merchant, and then the gun to the buyer. There were no mass shootings in those days. Maybe the real problem isn't guns.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 01:27:36 pm by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
He pretty much had his re-election in the bag,and he just threw it away.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@rustynail

Who knows? He now seems to be negotiating gun control with the Dims,and confiscating and melting down all privately-owned firearms is what they would call a "good first step".

If he does this,he can kiss re-election away being it will be obvious to even a blind man that the time has come to take up arms right after the next election because it will be either "use them or lose them".
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 02:05:57 pm by sneakypete »

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
Trump speaking from WH now...

Online rustynail

Too depressing to listen.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Bad idea, Mr. Trump.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@EdJames

Did he say anything about  new gun control? If he did,I missed it.

Online libertybele

Bad idea, Mr. Trump.

I couldn't agree more -- we shall see what the final gauntlet becomes...but so far I am disappointed in Trump's seeming intentions and Cruz's comments.  Very disappointed.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
@EdJames

Did he say anything about  new gun control? If he did,I missed it.

Nothing beyond Red Flag Laws that I heard....

Remarks at about 21:00 on this live stream....

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I couldn't agree more -- we shall see what the final gauntlet becomes...but so far I am disappointed in Trump's seeming intentions and Cruz's comments.  Very disappointed.

What did Cruz say?

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Red Flag laws?  Seriously?  ****slapping
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline edpc

Based on content and delivery, I’m not sure how much of that statement he really believes. It doesn’t match up with this tweet from earlier this morning.

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

The Media has a big responsibility to life and safety in our Country. Fake News has contributed greatly to the anger and rage that has built up over many years. News coverage has got to start being fair, balanced and unbiased, or these terrible problems will only get worse!

6:32 AM · Aug 5, 2019·Twitter for iPhone

Online rustynail

Online Smokin Joe

What initially bothered me about the approach is what you alluded to - potential horse trading on rights. Also, they spent a good deal of time yesterday, blaming the actions on mental illness. Now, they’re intertwining the two issues, with the El Paso shooting. Well, now, you’re basically equating defense of 2A and demand for immigration reform with mental illness. Thanks for that.
What part of my statement even mentioned mental illness?

All I spoke of is that I don't want the Congress bribed into doing its job to quell illegal immigration in exchange for my 2nd Amendment Rights. Just do their job, like they are supposed to, and leave my Rights out of it.

C S Lewis

Offline Night Hides Not

Art of the Deal, baby!!!  :thud:
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline edpc

What part of my statement even mentioned mental illness?

It didn’t, which is why I talked about the trade off, to which you were alluding. Then, I added the portion about mental illness by saying ‘also.’ I apologize if that was unclear.

Online Smokin Joe

It didn’t, which is why I talked about the trade off, to which you were alluding. Then, I added the portion about mental illness by saying ‘also.’ I apologize if that was unclear.
Seeking clarity, in the statement
Well, now, you’re basically equating defense of 2A and demand for immigration reform with mental illness. Thanks for that.
...who is/are the you (as in "you're")?

C S Lewis