Author Topic: Trump said 'perhaps' more needs to be done on gun control following two mass shootings  (Read 1996 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Wrapping up an out-of-sight weekend at his golf club in Bedminster, N.J., President Donald Trump said Sunday that “perhaps” more needs to be done with respect to gun control.

“Hate has no place in our country and we’re going to take care of it,” Trump told reporters as he prepared to board Air Force One to return to Washington, D.C.

Trump said he will make a statement Monday on the two mass shootings over the weekend and what can be done in response. Trump said he has also spoken with Attorney General William Barr and FBI Director Christopher Wray about the mass violence.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-said-perhaps-more-needs-205235106.html
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I will NEVER figure out the mentality that attributes actions to inanimate objects.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online rustynail

National red flag law on the way.

Offline skeeter

National red flag law on the way.

That’d be a deal breaker.

Offline edpc

I have been less than impressed with his last few statements on this subject. They have included holding an index card that reads ‘I hear you,’ asking Feinstein to include her gun grabbing legislation, and saying seize guns now, due process later. I guess we’ll see what’s next.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Perhaps more should be done about letting mentally ill people buys guns.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline skeeter

Perhaps the left should stop trying to use each of these tragedies for political ends. There are too many lunatics out there willing to take one for the team.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 10:04:55 pm by skeeter »

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

The PROBLEM is not with inanimate objects of any kind!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline austingirl

The PROBLEM is not with inanimate objects of any kind!

@Bigun

I agree. It's the mentally ill who are the problem. So damned obvious and so damned ignored by the democommies and their buddies in the media.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
@Bigun

I agree. It's the mentally ill who are the problem. So damned obvious and so damned ignored by the democommies and their buddies in the media.

@austingirl

I don't disagree with any of that but I think there is much more to it starting with drugging active young boys to get them to conform instead of capturing their interests and teaching them how to channel their energy into positive pursuits.  When I was growing up, admittedly long before most here, we didn't have TIME to think about how to engage in such things and there was never a day when guns were not readily at hand! I was given my first when I was 8 as a Christmas present.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 10:21:45 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Drago

• "Life is a Journey"
"Mentally ill" can become a very wide category/definition very quickly. Mentally ill could include people who frequent "far right" sites like TBR in addition to truly mentally ill people under a Dem administration/Congress. Slippery slope.

The general "unwinding" of societal norms and the de-valuing of life will lead to more & more violence regardless of a "mentally ill" diagnosis. Unfortunately.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

The repercussions of these attacks are going to be ugly.  Most everyone, including Ted Cruz, is blaming these murders on white supremacy.   The powers that be are going to be clamoring to do something now that they've identified the "enemy". 

Ted Cruz
Verified accountï‚™ @tedcruz 

As the son of a Cuban immigrant, I am deeply horrified by the hateful anti-Hispanic bigotry expressed in the shooter’s so-called ‘manifesto.’ This ignorant racism is repulsive and profoundly anti-American.

10:53 AM - 4 Aug 2019 

https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/1158073608369070082

Ted Cruz
Verified accountï‚™ @tedcruz     

We must speak clearly to combat evil in any form it takes. What we saw yesterday was a heinous act of terrorism and white supremacy. There is no place for this in El Paso, in Texas, or anywhere across our nation.

We are all Americans and we are all standing united with El Paso.

10:53 AM - 4 Aug 2019

https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/1158073609266638848 

Offline austingirl

@austingirl

I don't disagree with any of that but I think there is much more to it starting with drugging active young boys to get them to conform instead of capturing their interests and teaching them how to channel their energy into positive pursuits.  When I was growing up, admittedly long before most here, we didn't have TIME to think about how to engage in such things and there was never a day when guns were not readily at hand! I was given my first when I was 8 as a Christmas present.

The deterioration of our culture is coming hard and fast now. The leftists who became university professors, the democraps running the major cities, drugging kids with Ritalin and SSRIs, all played a role to change American life. I grew up in an idyllic neighborhood where no one ever thought to look to the government for answers to their problems. The only time you thought of the federal government was on tax day and the Fourth of July.

"Mentally ill" can become a very wide category/definition very quickly. Mentally ill could include people who frequent "far right" sites like TBR in addition to truly mentally ill people under a Dem administration/Congress. Slippery slope. 

Focus on the mentally ill ... or give up your guns.  Here's what unrestricted gun ownership is up against:

Timeline of mass shootings in the US since 2000 (through Nov 2018)
https://www.metro.us/news/map-timeline-of-mass-shootings-in-the-us-since-2000/tmWmll---14WH11UWCww

Offline edpc

The general "unwinding" of societal norms and the de-valuing of life will lead to more & more violence regardless of a "mentally ill" diagnosis. Unfortunately.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2016/02/21/catch-22-vets-concerned-with-loss-of-gun-rights-if-they-seek-treatment-for-ptsd/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2015/09/16/fed-assails-seniors-right-bear-arms-column/71964766/

These are examples of what you mean, even though the SSA rule was repealed.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 11:06:16 pm by edpc »

Offline libertybele

That’d be a deal breaker.

Absolutely.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline dfwgator

There isn't any law that is going to change one damned thing, other than making law-abiding citizens less able to defend themselves.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 11:16:37 pm by dfwgator »

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
There isn't any law that is going to change one damned thing, other than making law-abiding citizens less able to defend themselves.

:amen: @dfwgator! And sadly, I'm very afraid we are too far gone as a nation to fix it.

Gonna post this ONE more time: 

"There are thousands hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root."

Henry David  Thoreau
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 11:22:51 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline libertybele

:amen: @dfwgator! And sadly, I'm very afraid we are too far gone as a nation to fix it.

I anticipate gun confiscation on a massive scale. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline edpc

I anticipate gun confiscation on a massive scale.

Based upon what?

Offline austingirl

Indeed. That's the point.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I have been less than impressed with his last few statements on this subject. They have included holding an index card that reads ‘I hear you,’ asking Feinstein to include her gun grabbing legislation, and saying seize guns now, due process later. I guess we’ll see what’s next.
This guy will go for what makes him play best in the press, in the end. The bump stock ban is just the camel's nose under the tent.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline edpc

This guy will go for what makes him play best in the press, in the end. The bump stock ban is just the camel's nose under the tent.

As has been the case with most major issues, he’s been a bit shaky.

2000  "I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I also support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun," he said. "With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within seventy-two hours if a potential gun owner has a record.”

2015  "Law-abiding people should be allowed to own the firearm of their choice. The government has no business dictating what types of firearms good, honest people are allowed to own."

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-reverses-stance-assault-weapons-policy-paper/story?id=33867505

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

As has been the case with most major issues, he’s been a bit shaky.

2000  "I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I also support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun," he said. "With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within seventy-two hours if a potential gun owner has a record.”

2015  "Law-abiding people should be allowed to own the firearm of their choice. The government has no business dictating what types of firearms good, honest people are allowed to own."

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-reverses-stance-assault-weapons-policy-paper/story?id=33867505
2016Trump Administration Imposes Ban on Bump Stocks

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/18/us/politics/trump-bump-stocks-ban.html

He's already crossed the threshold once.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Here's what the President said.  He spent more time praising law enforcement and talking about mental illness than gun control:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1