Author Topic: Sharpton: Trump’s ‘Ugliness’ Is ‘Energizing’ the Black Vote Against Him  (Read 815 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Trump's "What have you got to lose?" to black voters was a master stroke. He needs to ask that question again in 2020.

That question came from his heart ..... and POTUS is already asking it again (Baltimore).   888high58888

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
That question came from his heart ..... and POTUS is already asking it again (Baltimore).   888high58888

Thing is...his appeals don't have to convince a majority of black voters.  He doesn't even need to convince 25% of black voters.  15-20% would be enough.  So even if he offends a majority of black voters because he isn't afraid of racial taboos...that can still be a win.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
I'm rooting for a great big #blexit.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline bilo

I think the political movement within the Black community is a combination of younger Black Americans looking for real change and the President's outreach. Black Americans (finally) have a Republican/Conservative talking with them without pandering, without speaking AT them; while proving he is serious about bringing positive change for their individual lives.

I think the timing of these two forces coming together is remarkable....and makes a real shift in AA voting patterns possible.

We shall find out soon enough.   :beer:

I think there is a fundamental problem in attracting AA votes. The AA community views a strong centralized govt. as the only answer to whatever problems they face. I think there is a historical basis for this mindset. Slavery was ended by a strong federal govt. Jim Crow was ended by a strong federal govt. Desegregation, affirmative action, civil rights voting acts are all a product of a strong federal govt. Also, a very high percentage of the AA middle class are employed by govt.

The Pub party, which is responsible for most of the big steps forward for AA's, is the party of limited govt and individual liberty. AA community is collectivist in their view and want a strong federal govt with centralized powers. I don't think the power and prosperity of individual liberty and limited govt has penetrated the AA community to any great degree.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline bilo

Thing is...his appeals don't have to convince a majority of black voters.  He doesn't even need to convince 25% of black voters.  15-20% would be enough. So even if he offends a majority of black voters because he isn't afraid of racial taboos...that can still be a win.

If Trump can attract that percentage of AA voters it would be a great victory. 

I do believe Trump's blunt in your face style is a much more productive approach. I'm just not convinced there will be a big shift. Overcoming a dominant collectivist mentality is more than a little difficult.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Online libertybele

Sharpton is and always has been full of b.s.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Al, is there anything uglier than the Tawana Brawley scam?
The  Barry and Michelle Obama scam?