Author Topic: Will Hurd, only black Republican in House, retiring  (Read 8288 times)

Offline musiclady

Re: Will Hurd, only black Republican in House, retiring
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2019, 04:50:34 pm »
I disagree, although I can understand how you might think so. There still are some solid conservatives serving Congress as Republicans. Our job is the fill all the other seats with the same.

We send Conservatives to Congress and they become liberals.

There may be a few hold outs, but the party is now a liberal party, and does not stand for the Constitutional values it once claimed to support.

Sorry to be a downer, but I've been smacked upside the head once too many times by the party I used to call my own.  It no longer represents me.

@mountaineer @Maj. Bill Martin
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline corbe

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2019, 04:51:38 pm »
   Not gonna Happen @catfish1957

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2019, 04:52:24 pm »
Thank you for your patience.  There is about 10 here who are hell bent on turning this into an orange echo chamber, just like TOS.
I have been highly critical of POTUS when he deserved it, and given accolades when he does it right.  Just wish those 10 or so, could be as objective as the rest of us.

I was banned from TOS for my criticism of Trump. I supported Cruz until the end. I am now a Trump realist and support him when he gets things right. Still don't like his personality. It's tiresome to be called names and insulted by those who detest Trump.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2019, 04:57:14 pm »
I was banned from TOS for my criticism of Trump. I supported Cruz until the end. I am now a Trump realist and support him when he gets things right. Still don't like his personality. It's tiresome to be called names and insulted by those who detest Trump.

If you're being reasonable in your support, chances are very good that you're not, in fact, being called names by anyone here.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2019, 05:03:46 pm »
If you're being reasonable in your support, chances are very good that you're not, in fact, being called names by anyone here.

@musiclady

Unfortunately, that isn't true. Some people's hatred of Trump is so deep that they lash out at anyone who voices support for him.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2019, 05:06:42 pm »
@musiclady

Unfortunately, that isn't true. Some people's hatred of Trump is so deep that they lash out at anyone who voices support for him.

:yowsa:  pointing-up
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2019, 05:23:41 pm »
We send Conservatives to Congress and they become liberals.

It's not nearly that bad.  There are probably 35 or pretty staunchly conservative Senators, and 100 or so representatives.  The problem is that isn't really enough to get a lot done, and by the time you add in the votes necessary to pass bills, you have to add the RINOs.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2019, 05:28:29 pm »
Thank you for your patience.  There is about 10 here who are hell bent on turning this into an orange echo chamber, just like TOS.
I have been highly critical of POTUS when he deserved it, and given accolades when he does it right.  Just wish those 10 or so, could be as objective as the rest of us.

I think this should be put in perspective.

The problem with TOS wasn't that there were too many Trump supporters.  The problem was that you literally got banned by site administration if you were even the slightest bit critical of Trump.  I was banned for saying that it would probably help Trump if he laid off mocking McCain and Jeb after he'd already won the nomination.

Disagreement, even if you're badly outnumbered, is still qualitatively different from site admins banning on the basis of even mild criticism.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2019, 05:30:42 pm »
It's not nearly that bad.  There are probably 35 or pretty staunchly conservative Senators, and 100 or so representatives.  The problem is that isn't really enough to get a lot done, and by the time you add in the votes necessary to pass bills, you have to add the RINOs.

@musiclady @Maj. Bill Martin

The REAL problem is that the people who finance the campaigns don't want conservatives. They are perfectly happy with a congress that will continually invent new ways for them to siphon public money off into their hands.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline aligncare

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2019, 05:37:31 pm »

Well aren’t you special.

Piffle. That’s right up there with “when I vote, it’s based on my principles.”

Sure. While the rest of us had nothing better to do that Tuesday so, what the heck, we’ll stand on that long line over there and randomly check some boxes.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2019, 06:50:29 pm »
@musiclady

And I would say the converse is true for a small minority who adore him dearly.

Overall, most people around here are reasonable.  If I were you, I'd put the two or three who aren't (reasonable) on Ignore and don't pay any attention to insults from them.  I do the same with those who are unreasonably pro-Trump.  Either have them on Ignore, or just glide by their posts without reading them.

Not worth spoiling the place because of a handful of malcontents on either side of the Trump divide.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 06:54:03 pm by musiclady »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2019, 06:52:29 pm »

I guess that depends on your definition of Conservative.  If you're a strict constructionist, the numbers aren't nearly that large.

There is a toxic, good ol' boy atmosphere in DC, and all but the very few succumb to it and remain true to the principles they campaigned on.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2019, 06:55:07 pm »
@musiclady @Maj. Bill Martin

The REAL problem is that the people who finance the campaigns don't want conservatives. They are perfectly happy with a congress that will continually invent new ways for them to siphon public money off into their hands.

Ah yes............. the love of money is the root of all evil............... and in this case, the root of liberalism (in both parties).

Online libertybele

« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2019, 07:03:32 pm »
I disagree, although I can understand how you might think so. There still are some solid conservatives serving Congress as Republicans. Our job is the fill all the other seats with the same.

Sure, I'd be more than happy to vote a conservative in rather than a RINO; that is IF they were to actually run.  That's the problem. Not enough conservatives running and certainly not enough with deep pockets to unseat the RINO incumbents.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2019, 08:41:43 pm »
Well aren’t you special.

Piffle. That’s right up there with “when I vote, it’s based on my principles.”

Sure. While the rest of us had nothing better to do that Tuesday so, what the heck, we’ll stand on that long line over there and randomly check some boxes.

Slamming me for being objective on this POTUS?, rather than being one of the orange Ooompah Loompahs .  Aren't you special....
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2019, 08:56:41 pm »
Slamming me for being objective on this POTUS?, rather than being one of the orange Ooompah Loompahs .  Aren't you special....

If they insult you enough, you'll vote for their guy, right?
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline corbe

« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2019, 09:00:27 pm »
   I'm just gonna hold my nose and pretend I'm voting for Pence (even though I don't like him either) just like I did the last time I voted a Rep Presidential Candidate (Palin).
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2019, 11:12:58 pm »
Sure, I'd be more than happy to vote a conservative in rather than a RINO; that is IF they were to actually run.  That's the problem. Not enough conservatives running and certainly not enough with deep pockets to unseat the RINO incumbents.
But that's the rub, though: most of those with deep pockets feel no need to be conservative.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2019, 01:32:29 am »
mystery wrote:
"I am sorry to see him go also and wish he would re-consider."

Not me, ma'am.
I've had that fellow on ignore for quite some time.
I'm wondering who was payin' him to be a disruptor here?

Offline musiclady

« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2019, 02:43:24 am »
mystery wrote:
"I am sorry to see him go also and wish he would re-consider."

Not me, ma'am.
I've had that fellow on ignore for quite some time.
I'm wondering who was payin' him to be a disruptor here?

That's ridiculous.

He was a Republican with a different perspective from you.  That's all.

Stop implying that he was doing anything nefarious.

It's ridiculous.   **nononono*

Offline aligncare

« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2019, 03:02:05 am »
My good friend Once-ler went off the deep end when Trump got elected. I’ve seen it before. Politics can do that. Family relationships can get torn apart by political divisions, marriages dissolved, friendships ended, wars started. It’s nothing new.

My good friend Once-ler slipped into a deep state of TDS and just couldn’t come to terms with it. It’s a shame.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2019, 03:42:45 am »
Sure, I'd be more than happy to vote a conservative in rather than a RINO;

First, I'm not directing my comment at or to you @libertybele  --- it's just that "RINO"--"Republican in Name Only"--used by almost everyone for years to disparage "untrue" conservatives is just flat out wrong.

The Republican Party has always been a center-right party. "True" conservatives are actually a minority within a minority party.  A Republican is a moderate with conservative leanings, most notably on economics, the military and the 2nd Amendment.  The line between the majority of Republicans and "conservatives" has been acceptable social norms and social safety nets.  And that line at times is deep and wide. 

The correct nomenclature, IMO, most are looking for when they use "RINO" would be "CINO"--"conservative" in name only--and even this disparagement would only apply to a precious few. 

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2019, 03:45:25 am »
If they insult you enough, you'll vote for their guy, right?

Who's your guy?

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2019, 09:54:28 am »
But the liberal wing of the Republican party wasn't the entire party in those days.

Now it is.
But they were powerful enough to stuff a Rockefeller into Gerry Ford's Administration. I think the ploy was to get Ford to resign, but he didn't. Yes, it has been going on that long.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2019, 09:56:57 am »
But that's the rub, though: most of those with deep pockets feel no need to be conservative.
Sure is easier for them when they spend other peoples' money, too. Which is why the GOP is acting more like the Dems every year.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis