Author Topic: Will Hurd, only black Republican in House, retiring  (Read 8290 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Will Hurd, only black Republican in House, retiring
« on: August 02, 2019, 11:16:42 pm »
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/455872-texas-gop-lawmaker-will-hurd-retiring

Rep. Will Hurd (R-Texas), the only African American Republican in the House of Representatives, announced Thursday night that he will not seek reelection in 2020.

"I have made the decision to not seek reelection for the 23rd Congressional District of Texas in order to pursue opportunities outside the halls of Congress to solve problems at the nexus between technology and national security," Hurd said on Twitter.

@Victoria33 @corbe @edpc @musiclady @Jazzhead

Will Hurd is the only black republican in the House and the only republican to represent the southern border out of 9 districts that sit on it ( the GOP lost 2 border districts in 2018.)

This will be my last post to this forum.  It is no longer a good fit with my views.   :seeya:

Offline mountaineer

Re: Will Hurd, only black Republican in House, retiring
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 11:37:40 pm »
While we like to retain Republicans in Congress, we sometimes forget they are human beings with families and lives, and we can't expect them to continue forever in politics. Let's just hope a good candidate steps up.

As for you comment, Once-Ler, m'kay, bye.  :seeya:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online corbe

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 11:44:00 pm »
   Damn, the Trumpers have run off another #Never.     88kleenix
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2019, 12:04:16 am »
Too bad...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2019, 12:36:05 am »
Will Hurd, Robert Francis' pal, is no Republican.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2019, 12:40:52 am »

:yowsa:   :beer:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2019, 12:42:27 am »
   Damn, the Trumpers have run off another #Never.     88kleenix

Had a toothache once.  Missed it for a while once it was gone.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2019, 01:14:00 am »
Wanna retire?
Then.... do it.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2019, 01:40:21 am »
Too bad...
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2019, 02:43:38 am »

Will Hurd is the only black republican in the House and the only republican to represent the southern border out of 9 districts that sit on it ( the GOP lost 2 border districts in 2018.)

This will be my last post to this forum.  It is no longer a good fit with my view
s.   :seeya:

@mystery-ak

I'd have to agree, it seems the GOP Briefingroom has returned to it's roots as a GOP forum. I came here because TOS became intolerant of Conservative views if they were not Trump views. It seems @mystery-ak that unfortunately, someone like myself whose conservative view and moral compass has not changed since my senior trip to SE Asia, that in today's world one is to accept an lying, amoral POS, leaving my kids with an unsustainable debt is ok, legislative failure after failure but claiming a win cause its my side ..ect... :shrug:

Conservatives, as I define the term, are simply a dying bread, Myst..thank you for the good fight...

Online corbe

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2019, 03:00:43 am »
   With all due respect @montanajoe I see it a bit differently here, @mystery-ak allows Conservatives of all bents, she just does not tolerate trolling, which I must admit I am guilty of more often than not.  It is OUR Fight to win and Trump's inevitable implosion will further prove that 'policy' here was always on the right track. 

I catch a lot of hell from the Mods for MY Trolling of the Trumpers here.
   I'm just a frustrated old man that knows the boundaries (most the time).
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2019, 03:15:15 am »
@mystery-ak

I'd have to agree, it seems the GOP Briefingroom has returned to it's roots as a GOP forum. I came here because TOS became intolerant of Conservative views if they were not Trump views. It seems @mystery-ak that unfortunately, someone like myself whose conservative view and moral compass has not changed since my senior trip to SE Asia, that in today's world one is to accept an lying, amoral POS, leaving my kids with an unsustainable debt is ok, legislative failure after failure but claiming a win cause its my side ..ect... :shrug:

Conservatives, as I define the term, are simply a dying bread, Myst..thank you for the good fight...

During the primaries, there were maybe a dozen hard core Never Trumpers here, and a dozen hard core Trump Worshipers here.  As a number of NT's have left, the balance of posts seems to have changed a bit (also in part somewhat from those of us in the middle who are surprised he's doing as well as he has).

From what I can see, the mods haven't tried to push one side or the other.  So, if it seems like the other side is "winning" because their viewpoints are expressed more, there's one thing you can do to change the balance, post yours.

P.S.  Yes, Conservativism is headed downhill.  We may well lose.  Heck, we'll probably lose.  But, like the old man in the Bring Out Your Dead scene, don't give up until they club you like a baby seal.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline DB

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2019, 03:39:39 am »
Take care @Once-Ler.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2019, 03:57:03 am »
This will be my last post to this forum.  It is no longer a good fit with my views.   :seeya:

Hate to see you go, I enjoyed most your posts when you didn't allow yourself to be sidetracked. Take a break and see if it helps. I know I have a few times. @Once-Ler

Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2019, 04:44:59 am »
@mystery-ak

There's nothing worse than dead bread.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Applewood

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2019, 09:16:51 am »

Well, I don't really know Congressman Hurd or even this Robert Francis.  What is your definition of Republican?  At one time, we could equate "Republican" with "conservative," but that isn't true anymore. If the congressman is liberal, then he may very well be Republican -- just not a conservative. 

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2019, 12:43:45 pm »
At one time, we could equate "Republican" with "conservative," but that isn't true anymore.

That was never true.  There was always the Rockefeller/Javits wing of the party that absolutely were not conservatives.  It varied in size, but those folk were always an element within the GOP.  They were enough for Reagan to lose the nomination in 1976. 

Offline musiclady

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2019, 02:02:47 pm »

Don't leave, @Once-Ler .  Your views may be in the minority here, but they are legitimate and well-thought out, and it's good to have a variety of views presented here.

JMHO.......
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2019, 02:03:42 pm »
That was never true.  There was always the Rockefeller/Javits wing of the party that absolutely were not conservatives.  It varied in size, but those folk were always an element within the GOP.  They were enough for Reagan to lose the nomination in 1976.

But the liberal wing of the Republican party wasn't the entire party in those days.

Now it is.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2019, 02:27:28 pm »
@mystery-ak

I am a Conservative and I think all of you know how I feel about POTUS..that said..Once-ler's leaving is self imposed because he just came off a time-out for trolling threads with his hatred for Trump.

By ignoring our pleas to stop he ruined threads that had ongoing discussions...I just can't have a poster deliberately going from thread to thread with the intention of ruining it...The Mods and I determined that another, longer time-out might work.......instead this is the result I feared.

I am sorry to see him go also and wish he would re-consider.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2019, 03:01:07 pm »
But the liberal wing of the Republican party wasn't the entire party in those days.

Now it is.

C'mon @musiclady, that's ridiculous.   Is Ted Cruz a liberal?  Tom Cotton?   

Simply because we're willing to support a Republican in the general election who isn't a staunch Reaganite doesn't mean we're not conservative.  Reagan himself supported and campaigned for moderate/liberal Republicans when the alternative was a Democrat.  He picked liberal Republican Richard Schweiker for his running mate in 1976, and moderate George H.W. Bush to be his veep in 80 and 84.

That didn't make him part of the liberal wing of the party.  It simply meant that he was a pragmatist when it came down to choosing between the two major party candidates for an office.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2019, 03:15:19 pm »

Actually, you are right.   The party had a reputation of being conservative and in comparison to the Democrats, it may well have been at least some of the time.  But yes, there always an element of liberalism in the party.  It's just that now, true conservatives have been shut out almost completely.  Maybe we could call most Republicans "center-right," but it seems that as the Democrats move further left, Republicans, for the most part, seem to want to move left also.  It's getting to the point where there is little difference between the two parties anymore.  Both seem to want the same things. 

People often call a certain Republican a "RINO" -- Republican in Name Only.  IMHO, that is incorrect because these days a "RINO" is a real Republican.  I guess I was just trying to clarify what @austingirl meant when she said Congressman Hurd is not a Republican.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2019, 04:27:00 pm »
@mystery-ak

"Once-ler's leaving is self imposed because he just came off a time-out for trolling threads with his hatred for Trump."

It was tiresome and did ruin many threads.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2019, 04:30:37 pm »

Now it is.
I disagree, although I can understand how you might think so. There still are some solid conservatives serving Congress as Republicans. Our job is the fill all the other seats with the same.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2019, 04:47:12 pm »
I am a Conservative and I think all of you know how I feel about POTUS..that said..Once-ler's leaving is self imposed because he just came off a time-out for trolling threads with his hatred for Trump.

By ignoring our pleas to stop he ruined threads that had ongoing discussions...I just can't have a poster deliberately going from thread to thread with the intention of ruining it...The Mods and I determined that another, longer time-out might work.......instead this is the result I feared.

I am sorry to see him go also and wish he would re-consider.

Thank you for your patience.  There is about 10 here who are hell bent on turning this into an orange echo chamber, just like TOS.
I have been highly critical of POTUS when he deserved it, and given accolades when he does it right.  Just wish those 10 or so, could be as objective as the rest of us.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.