Author Topic: Senate meeting erupts as Graham clashes with Dems over asylum bill: 'You're not going to take my job  (Read 234 times)

rangerrebew

Senate meeting erupts as Graham clashes with Dems over asylum bill: 'You're not going to take my job!'
By Ronn Blitzer | Fox News

The Senate Judiciary Committee erupted with infighting Thursday as a top Republican lawmaker pushed legislation aimed at crafting new rules for asylum-seekers from Central American countries.

The committee eventually approved the bill on a narrow 12-10 vote -- but only after Chairman Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., battled accusations that he was violating Senate rules by taking up the measure after the panel fell one Democrat shy of a quorum at a related meeting last week.

“Why even have rules?” Ranking Member Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., asked rhetorically. Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., backed her up, saying, “If the majority is willing to break any rule in order to report this bill today, there are no rules.”

Graham defended the move, stating the bill had been ready to move forward for seven weeks and Democrats intentionally did not show up last week in an effort to stymie the legislation.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/senate-committee-erupts-graham-asylum.amp#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s

rangerrebew

I wonder if the author is related to Volfie Blitzer? :pondering:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
“Why even have rules?” Ranking Member Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., asked"

Her chutzpah is amazing.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
“Why even have rules?” Ranking Member Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., asked"

Her chutzpah is amazing.

@Sanguine

No kidding. That's like having Jabba,the Hut tell you that you need to go on a diet.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!