Author Topic: Businesses hurting from Austin’s growing homeless population  (Read 1120 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Wow.  Who could have anticipated this?

AUSTIN (KXAN) — Complaints tied to Austin’s homeless population are growing.     

Two-and-a-half weeks after new city rules were approved to decriminalize homelessness, some business owners said they’re seeing more problems.

“Sometimes you will see people laying right here, right on the ground, and when you come early in the morning you have to tell them to get away,” said Oscar Rivera, the barber and manager of Gallery 44.

Gallery 44 is located right off Highway 290 and Manchaca. Rivera said his business isn’t the only one in the area affected. ...

https://www.kxan.com/news/businesses-hurting-from-austins-growing-homeless-population/amp/

This is a long way from downtown.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Businesses hurting from Austin’s growing homeless population
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 12:53:19 am »

This is a long way from downtown.
but right around the corner from my favorite hamburger joint, Dan's hamburgers.

The place has been around for a long time, started by Dan Junk.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 01:04:02 am »
but right around the corner from my favorite hamburger joint, Dan's hamburgers.

The place has been around for a long time, started by Dan Junk.

And, his ex-wife's place is not too far from there! 

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 01:18:54 am »
And, his ex-wife's place is not too far from there!
Fran's is not nearly as good.

Dan is the man.

His first place was around the corner from where I grew up on South Congress.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2019, 01:23:38 am »
Fran's is not nearly as good.

Dan is the man.

His first place was around the corner from where I grew up on South Congress.

Here's one for you - do you remember the Taco Shack on First?  Hole in the wall place.

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2019, 01:46:51 am »
Here's one for you - do you remember the Taco Shack on First?  Hole in the wall place.
No I do not.  In high school we considered the lake to be the dividing line of most places we hung out at, so South Austin is much more familiar.

Later on, I worked during college at 7th and Colorado, and ate at a lot of lunch places downtown, but not the Taco Shack.

Since we are quizzing on hole-in-the-walls, am sure you have been to the Hoffbrau, were they (still) make steaks with lard on the flattop.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 01:50:56 am by IsailedawayfromFR »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2019, 04:19:21 am »
No I do not.  In high school we considered the lake to be the dividing line of most places we hung out at, so South Austin is much more familiar.

Later on, I worked during college at 7th and Colorado, and ate at a lot of lunch places downtown, but not the Taco Shack.

Since we are quizzing on hole-in-the-walls, am sure you have been to the Hoffbrau, were they (still) make steaks with lard on the flattop.

Hoffbrau - that's a blast from the past.  I liked El Rancho.  My dad knew Matt.

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2019, 12:50:10 pm »
Hoffbrau - that's a blast from the past.  I liked El Rancho.  My dad knew Matt.
Hoffbrau remains alive and well - ate there earlier this year.  Fortunate to get a parking place and before they ran out of steaks.

How about my go-to BBQ joint The Shanty at corner of First and Red River?  I think another BBQ occupies it now.

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2019, 11:36:27 pm »
I liked El Rancho.  My dad knew Matt.
Did not know El Rancho.  Ate at El Mat along I35(Do you remember the jingle played on radio 'El Mat, El Torro, Monroe, El Charro'?) until they closed after dog food was discovered in the food.  Yuck.

I liked El Gallo across from St.  Ed's.  They are closed now but belonged to the Kennedy family who I went to school with.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2019, 11:38:33 pm »
Did not know El Rancho.  Ate at El Mat along I35(Do you remember the jingle played on radio 'El Mat, El Torro, Monroe, El Charro'?) until they closed after dog food was discovered in the food.  Yuck.

I liked El Gallo across from St.  Ed's.  They are closed now but belonged to the Kennedy family who I went to school with.

I remember El Gallo, but wasn't a regular.

Matt's El Rancho is still there but I'm sure it's the grandkids or great grands running it now.

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2019, 11:47:33 pm »
Ok, let's go hardcore now.

How about the Nighthawk across from the Terrace hotel?  Which is nearby the original Scholtzky's.

The first Mr Gatti's was in a refurbished Utotem along Congress near Oltorf, too.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2019, 12:16:26 am »
Ok, let's go hardcore now.

How about the Nighthawk across from the Terrace hotel?  Which is nearby the original Scholtzky's.

The first Mr Gatti's was in a refurbished Utotem along Congress near Oltorf, too.

I remember when the Nighthawk burned.  Very sad.

We weren't terribly poor, but there wasn't much "disposable income", so we didn't go out much.  And, it was a big deal when we did.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2019, 12:22:29 am »
You get what you vote for.

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2019, 12:00:54 pm »
I remember when the Nighthawk burned.  Very sad.

We weren't terribly poor, but there wasn't much "disposable income", so we didn't go out much.  And, it was a big deal when we did.
Same here.  Was one of 11 kids.