Author Topic: In Brazil, tough-on-crime approach packs prisons  (Read 184 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
In Brazil, tough-on-crime approach packs prisons
« on: August 01, 2019, 08:26:58 pm »
In Brazil, tough-on-crime approach packs prisons
ABC News

Another burst of violence at an overcrowded Brazilian prison where dozens of inmates died has prompted promises of more prison cells and more guards, despite expert warnings that the strategy has been failing for decades.

A tough-on-crime vow last year helped Jair Bolsonaro win the presidency of Brazil, a nation plagued by gangs blamed for a string of mass-murder prison riots. No country has suffered more homicides in recent years and only two nations — the United States and China — have more people behind bars.

"Our concern and our priority are good people," Bolsonaro said on Twitter while campaigning last year. "I've always said it: I prefer a prison full of criminals than a cemetery full of innocents. If space is missing, we build more!"

Read more at: https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/brazil-tough-crime-approach-packs-prisons-64711142

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: In Brazil, tough-on-crime approach packs prisons
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 11:33:36 pm »
"I've always said it: I prefer a prison full of criminals than a cemetery full of innocents. If space is missing, we build more!"

That gets MY vote...!