Author Topic: Trump announces new tariffs on Chinese goods starting Sept. 1  (Read 4891 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Trump announces new tariffs on Chinese goods starting Sept. 1
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2019, 01:47:02 pm »
This will have the Bush Crime Family and their Dim associates having a hissy-fit!

This should have been done long ago. I am afraid that we have waited so long to act in our own best interests that it may be too late to restore even half of the factory jobs we lost,thanks to Bush and Clinton working together.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Lovely.  There goes that great economy he brags about.

@Applewood

Please splain to me how we have a great economy when we are bleeding jobs and dollars every day that passes.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Is this a war worth fighting?

@Sanguine

Good or bad depends on your POV. Do you want to see America survive and prosper? Do you want to see your children and grandchildren have jobs to go to here in America in the future?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2019, 01:59:02 pm »

The former top White House economic adviser said that President Trump’s trade wars have had a “dramatic impact” on the U.S. manufacturing sector while doing little to hinder China’s economy.

Gary Cohn, former director of the National Economic Council, told the BBC in an interview aired Thursday that Trump’s tariffs have effectively canceled the benefits of his 2017 corporate tax cut and prevented U.S. manufacturers from expansion.

@edpc

BIG BLEEPING DEAL! Corporations are just one more example of selfish dictatorial rule,very much like communism. ALL they care about is profits. Nothing else,not even the survival of the country.

If you want a fair historical comparison for educational purposes,you can use the early days of WW-2 in Europe for a perfect example. Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union were allies,with a mutual aggression treaty. Stalin even leased large areas inside the USSR to the Nazi's in the 1930's so they would have a place to develop their war machine and tactics in secrecy.

The Nazi's only became evil in the eyes of the Soviets and their leftist allies all over the world (including the Roosevelt White House) AFTER invading the USSR. Suddenly,the Nazi's became "evil bastards that need to be wiped out,beginning tomorrow!"

It is they who are responsible for the push towards globalism and a Global World Government.

Bitch slap them until they cry,and then do it some more,just for the fun of it.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2019, 02:00:29 pm »
Trump says it's "fine with me" if China doesn't want to trade with the U.S.

That’s not going to sit well with people along I-29.

@edpc

That's ok. They can always move to China.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Please splain to me how we have a great economy when we are bleeding jobs and dollars every day that passes.

Let the former Trump administration economic advisor, Gary Cohn, who resigned over the tariff policy, explain it.

"I think everyone loses in a trade war. We are an 80% service economy. The service side of the economy is doing very well, because, guess what, it's not being tariffed."

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-49187126?intlink_from_url=&link_location=live-reporting-story
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2019, 02:05:08 pm »
---------------------------------------------------
Gary Cohn is the essence of DC; a hustler and shill for the corporate crowd who infest Washington.
He will say or do absolutely anything to remain in good standing w/his paymasters even if it makes
no economic sense!

@Absalom

He is nothing more than a male whore being pimped out by the globalists.

I would pay money to get to see him on tv being asked "Isn't it true that you and people like you pushed for VERY low tariffs on Chinese steel and other goods so you could import them into the country at a price where you could undercut US steel manufacturers to the point where they would go out of business?

Is't it also true that you and your masters played the stock market to profit on the collapse of US industry?

Isn't it also try that THIS is the reason the problems you just quoted are happening today?"

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2019, 02:08:59 pm »

Or the average American.

@kevindavis

The average American these days seems too stupid to pour piss out of a boot without a video to show him how,and someone to operate the video for him.

When you keep voting "me,me,ME,DAMMIT",pretty soon you have no "we,the people".

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Yes, but only if we can get that darn deficit under control so we don't have to borrow from them.

@jmyrlefuller

The Chinese have came to the understanding that "Corporatism" is nothing more than a finely tuned,highly advanced form of Communism.

If WE don't also come to accept and understand this,pretty soon they will own us outright,and the Bill of Rights will disappear as they make us a part of the Chinese Borg.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
@Sanguine

Good or bad depends on your POV. Do you want to see America survive and prosper? Do you want to see your children and grandchildren have jobs to go to here in America in the future?

So you're saying we should fight it now before the stakes get any higher. 

Offline edpc

« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2019, 02:27:20 pm »
Corporations are just one more example of selfish dictatorial rule,very much like communism. ALL they care about is profits.

What a shock. That's their purpose - provide a product or service and make the maximum profit they can.

Offline Applewood

@Applewood

Contrary to Trump's promise, these tarriffs are not going to bring back the manufacturing jobs -- at least not on the scale this country saw up until the 70's and 80's.  Greedy unions killed those jobs.  Once companies realized they could make a product overseas for a lot less money, they told the unions to go *bleep* themselves.  Now that Trump has made manufacturing in China less palatable, many companies are moving their operations elsewhere -- but not here in the US. 

About all these tarriffs are going to do is make life difficult for companies dealing with China, increase the cost of most consumer goods and wreck pension plans and retirement nest eggs.  This supposedly wonderful economy which Trump and his supporters rave about is already showing signs of cracking and the more Trump forces these tarriffs, the wider the cracks are going to be. Perhaps when this trade war hits you in the wallet, maybe you will understand what I'm saying. 

Offline edpc

Now that Trump has made manufacturing in China less palatable, many companies are moving their operations elsewhere -- but not here in the US.

The Trump administration has not failed to notice that its import levies have been shifting global commerce in Vietnam’s direction. The Treasury has put Hanoi on a watch list for manipulating the value of the Vietnamese currency, the dong, to help exporters. Mr. Trump suggested last month that Vietnam might be the next target for punitive tariffs, calling the country “almost the single worst abuser of everybody.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/30/technology/trump-trade-war-vietnam.html

Soon, we'll be in a tariff/trade war with everyone.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2019, 05:17:08 pm »

What a shock. That's their purpose - provide a product or service and make the maximum profit they can.
All the while, investors are shielded from liability by the federal government's protection. All the bennies, none of the risk. "Capitalism." Bailouts. Too big to fail.

As far as I'm concerned, pierce the veil.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 05:18:18 pm by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Applewood

« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2019, 06:15:18 pm »
@kevindavis

The average American these days seems too stupid to pour piss out of a boot without a video to show him how,and someone to operate the video for him.

When you keep voting "me,me,ME,DAMMIT",pretty soon you have no "we,the people".

@sneakypete

So I would be a selfish *bleep* for wanting to buy products I can afford instead of overpriced made in America junk (that is, if I can find products made in the USA). 

Not sure what you are advocating, but it isn't capitalism. 

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2019, 07:09:27 pm »
@sneakypete

So I would be a selfish *bleep* for wanting to buy products I can afford instead of overpriced made in America junk (that is, if I can find products made in the USA). 

Not sure what you are advocating, but it isn't capitalism.

@Applewood

WAY TO SPIN! You ask a loaded question and then want me to agree with your premise so it would justify/excuse your anti-American selfishness.

Capitalism is not a system of government. It cares nothing about anyone or anything but profits. There is no right or wrong other than profits. Strictly speaking,pure Capitalism would celebrate selling poisonous baby food if it made more profit than selling non-poisonous baby food.

This IS why GOVERNMENT is supposed to control Capitalism instead of Capitalism controlling government.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2019, 08:59:00 pm »
@Applewood

WAY TO SPIN! You ask a loaded question and then want me to agree with your premise so it would justify/excuse your anti-American selfishness.

Capitalism is not a system of government. It cares nothing about anyone or anything but profits. There is no right or wrong other than profits. Strictly speaking,pure Capitalism would celebrate selling poisonous baby food if it made more profit than selling non-poisonous baby food.

This IS why GOVERNMENT is supposed to control Capitalism instead of Capitalism controlling government.

@sneakypete

Spinning?  I was just trying to figure out what the H you were trying to say.

In the above-quoted post, you now seem to be saying you are against capitalism.  I hope I'm wrong because if you really want government control of business, then IMHO you are subscribing to communism.  And if that's the case, then you aren't a conservative -- again, IMHO. 

Please help me understand what you are trying to say here.  My pea brain just can't figure it out.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2019, 09:30:17 pm »
@Absalom
He is nothing more than a male whore being pimped out by the globalists.
I would pay money to get to see him on tv being asked "Isn't it true that you and people like you pushed for VERY low tariffs on Chinese steel and other goods so you could import them into the country at a price where you could undercut US steel manufacturers to the point where they would go out of business?
Is't it also true that you and your masters played the stock market to profit on the collapse of US industry?
Isn't it also try that THIS is the reason the problems you just quoted are happening today?"
------------------------------
On the money.
These types have been all over tee-vee for generations peddling the same
malarkey; "We know how to improve mankind so he will thrive. Trust us."
A wise Scot understood that Capitalism would produce material betterment
as well as require Man to work cooperatively for the mutual benefit of many.
Yet he also understood that greed and self-interest were drivers of Capitalism
and knew that only the unchanging moral principles Natural Law, anchored
by a spiritual sense, would keep the latter in check.
Some 250 years after Adam Smith; the material has become far ascendant
over the spiritual in our daily lives, as our so called Art confirms.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 04:01:41 am by Absalom »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2019, 11:16:27 pm »
@sneakypete

Spinning?  I was just trying to figure out what the H you were trying to say.

In the above-quoted post, you now seem to be saying you are against capitalism.

Damn right I am! So were the Founding Fathers,which is why corporations and businesses come  under the control of the government. Or are supposed to,anyway. These days it seems like the corporations and Wall Street control the government.

I hope I'm wrong because if you really want government control of business, then IMHO you are subscribing to communism. 

I am not trying to be insulting,but you really need to get a better understanding of the nature of capitalism,and the way our government was set up to deal with businesses.

And if that's the case, then you aren't a conservative -- again, IMHO. 

If you were right America would be a Fascist state. The sad,sad truth is that the problems in America today are directly related to international banking and businesses,and our politicians selling out American jobs and sovereignty for personal profits.

Give it another ten years or so,and you WILL be right

Please help me understand what you are trying to say here.  My pea brain just can't figure it out.

Chemo brain won't allow me to remember the correct phrase now,but there is a name for the economic system that was created when America was formed,and it describes an economic system that grants the government oversight on what private and corporate business can,and can not do.

The problems we have been having the last couple of decades are directly related to the government no longer doing that job because the international corporations have bought them out using stock options and board seats for wives and other relatives. Once this happens,the politician has a personal interest in the profits of that corporation,and will do nothing to reign them back in when they start to do something harmful to the American economy,but profitable for them and the corporation they are carrying water for.

A perfect example of this is semi-recent history.

China opened up to foreign markets for the first time in history. Opened up to both buying off the open market,and selling to anyone that wanted their goods.

Poppy Bush was President at the time,and prior to becoming President he had been both the First U S Ambassador to China,and the head of the CIA. He knew ALL the people in power in China personally,so he immediately sends his uncle Prescott Bush to China to open the "Chinese-American Chamber of Commerce,with Uncle Prescott as President. There are also Chinese board members.

At about that time,Wal-Mart was on full-frontal assault to open a Wal-Mart on every corner in America. Ironically enough,their prime advertising campaign to counter claims they were taking over the market and filling it with cheap goods was,"98 percent of our products were American made!"

Wal-Mart has it's headquarters in Arkansas. Guess who was the governor of Arkansas at the time? If you guessed Billy Bob Clinton,give yourself a hand.

Guess who was given a board seat on the Wal-Mart board of directors based entirely on her combined business experience of "none at all"? If you guessed Bubbette! Clinton,give yourself another slap on the back.

Suddenly,for no reasons that have ever been explained to anyone,Wal-Mart is importing shiploads of Chinese junk into the US,and even getting some sort of special trade status that saves them money.

Go figure.

Yet,oddly enough,it seems that no congressional or Senatorial committee has ever investigated any of this.

THAT is what happens when government doesn't serve their watchdog role when it comes to businesses.

Government in this country is supposed to exist to serve and protect the people.

Businesses exist SOLELY to make a profit.

Does it make any sense now?

Offline Applewood

« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2019, 12:34:13 am »
@sneakypete

Well, my pea brain is tired, so I'm going to have to look a little closer at what you have written when my brain has been refreshed.

Offhand though, I'm wondering where in the Constitution did the Founders give the federal government dominion over business.  Seems to me that would be one power the Founding Fathers did not want the federal government to have.  I always thought the Founders believed in a limited, small government and putting government in charge of business seems to contradict that. 

Anyway, I'll get back to you on this.  Spent way too much time looking for info on the latest mass shooting in El Paso to think about this all now.    happy77

Offline goatprairie

The Trump administration has not failed to notice that its import levies have been shifting global commerce in Vietnam’s direction. The Treasury has put Hanoi on a watch list for manipulating the value of the Vietnamese currency, the dong, to help exporters. Mr. Trump suggested last month that Vietnam might be the next target for punitive tariffs, calling the country “almost the single worst abuser of everybody.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/30/technology/trump-trade-war-vietnam.html

Soon, we'll be in a tariff/trade war with everyone.
I thought we were already. According to Trump, because we didn't levy as many tariffs as we should have, we're now a third world country. In fact, we've always been a third world country....probably the poorest country in the world because every other country took advantage of us.  8888crybaby That's what Trump said. Even Burkina Faso took advantage of us and is now a first world country why we languish in last place. We're worse off than Haiti. At least that's what the great economic genius Donald H. Trump says. Obviously, more tariffs are needed...especially on devious countries like Haiti and Burkina Faso who constantly take advantage of us and laugh at us. And lie about us too. Lying and laughing.
I don't know about you, but I'm sick of being in last place  9999hair out0000 because we haven't placed enough tariffs on other countries.   :tongue2:

Offline Absalom

« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2019, 02:51:17 am »
Damn right I am! So were the Founding Fathers,which is why corporations and businesses come  under the control of the government. Or are supposed to,anyway. These days it seems like the corporations and Wall Street control the government.
I am not trying to be insulting,but you really need to get a better understanding of the nature of capitalism,and the way our government was set up to deal with businesses.
If you were right America would be a Fascist state. The sad,sad truth is that the problems in America today are directly related to international banking and businesses,and our politicians selling out American jobs and sovereignty for personal profits.
Give it another ten years or so,and you WILL be right
Chemo brain won't allow me to remember the correct phrase now,but there is a name for the economic system that was created when America was formed,and it describes an economic system that grants the government oversight on what private and corporate business can,and can not do.
The problems we have been having the last couple of decades are directly related to the government no longer doing that job because the international corporations have bought them out using stock options and board seats for wives and other relatives. Once this happens,the politician has a personal interest in the profits of that corporation,and will do nothing to reign them back in when they start to do something harmful to the American economy,but profitable for them and the corporation they are carrying water for.
A perfect example of this is semi-recent history.
China opened up to foreign markets for the first time in history. Opened up to both buying off the open market,and selling to anyone that wanted their goods.
Poppy Bush was President at the time,and prior to becoming President he had been both the First U S Ambassador to China,and the head of the CIA. He knew ALL the people in power in China personally,so he immediately sends his uncle Prescott Bush to China to open the "Chinese-American Chamber of Commerce,with Uncle Prescott as President. There are also Chinese board members.
At about that time,Wal-Mart was on full-frontal assault to open a Wal-Mart on every corner in America. Ironically enough,their prime advertising campaign to counter claims they were taking over the market and filling it with cheap goods was,"98 percent of our products were American made!"
Wal-Mart has it's headquarters in Arkansas. Guess who was the governor of Arkansas at the time? If you guessed Billy Bob Clinton,give yourself a hand.
Guess who was given a board seat on the Wal-Mart board of directors based entirely on her combined business experience of "none at all"? If you guessed Bubbette! Clinton,give yourself another slap on the back.
Suddenly,for no reasons that have ever been explained to anyone,Wal-Mart is importing shiploads of Chinese junk into the US,and even getting some sort of special trade status that saves them money.
Go figure.
Yet,oddly enough,it seems that no congressional or Senatorial committee has ever investigated any of this.
THAT is what happens when government doesn't serve their watchdog role when it comes to businesses.
Government in this country is supposed to exist to serve and protect the people.
Businesses exist SOLELY to make a profit.
Does it make any sense now?
-----------------------------------
Indeed, you certainly nailed the crony capitalist frauds.
Was the economic system you were searching for called Mercantilism???
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 02:52:05 am by Absalom »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2019, 03:27:08 am »
-----------------------------------
Indeed, you certainly nailed the crony capitalist frauds.
Was the economic system you were searching for called Mercantilism???

@Absalom

No,and it is frustrating as hell to not be able to remember it. It's like seeing somebody you know and having their name on the tip of your tongue,but just not being able to put it together.

There is a term that was created specifically to define what I am talking about. Anyone that has ever taken any college classes in business knows it. Anyone but me,apparently.