Author Topic: Colorado activists seek to beat hasty retreat from National Popular Vote compact  (Read 347 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Colorado joined the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact just four months ago, but the Centennial State may be taking an early off-ramp.

Organizers with Protect Colorado’s Vote announced Wednesday they have collected at least 227,198 signatures to place the National Popular Vote on the November 2020 ballot, easily surpassing the 124,632 valid signatures required to qualify.

“We still have more signatures coming in, too,” said Mesa County Commissioner Rose Pugliese, a Republican, who has helped lead the referendum campaign.

The petitions are due Thursday at the Secretary of State’s office, but if the signatures pass muster, it would mark the first time voters have had an opportunity to decide on a state’s entrance into the National Popular Vote compact, which seeks to render the Electoral College obsolete.

If the National Popular Vote is defeated, it would also represent the first time Colorado voters have repealed an act of the state legislature since 1932, when they overrode a tax hike on oleomargarine.
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/jul/31/colorado-national-popular-vote-foes-aim-2020-repea/
This indeed is a setback as voters flex their muscles over their representatives.

And to think the last time the people of Colorado did this was over oleo.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Oleo?  Wow. 
*The Oleomargarine Act. ... On this date, the 49th Congress (1885–1887) set in motion an era of commercial regulation by passing the Oleomargarine Act which defined the very essence of butter and imposed a two-cent per pound tax on oleomargarine, a butter substitute made from animal fat.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
As I predicted after the Rat Governor of Nevada vetoed the Compact, and why Trump must win the popular vote to kill this.  Can you imagine the uproar when California discovers that their Electoral College votes would have been awarded to Trump, had a sufficient number of states joined the Compact?

If Trump can get the popular majority in 2020, States will be fighting each other to see who can undo the Compact the fastest.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
My wife's signature is on that petition.

The voters of Colorado are pissed at what a snake Polis turned out to be.  There's a petition going around to recall Polis as well.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I'll give this 50/50 odds of passing in Colorado, but no more than that.
The leftists of the Front Range rule that state now.

Wouldn't be surprised if it wins, that the leftists will seek to overturn the results of the election in the state supreme court, or RE-enact the NVP legislation again...

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

Wouldn't be surprised if it wins, that the leftists will seek to overturn the results of the election in the state supreme court, or RE-enact the NVP legislation again...

Just like they did with the oil and gas proposition that was on the ballot last year.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I'll give this 50/50 odds of passing in Colorado, but no more than that.
The leftists of the Front Range rule that state now.

@Fishrrman

They have for decades. The population in Denver alone is enough to control the votes,and they ALWAYS vote Dim. Since Denver has been flooded with tax regugees from Ca the last 20 years,I don't see that situation getting any better.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!