Author Topic: Amusement park mascot dies of heatstroke amid sweltering temps in Japan behind 10 other deaths  (Read 354 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Amusement park mascot dies of heatstroke amid sweltering temps in Japan behind 10 other deaths
By Travis Fedschun | Fox News

A man dressed as a mascot at an amusement park in Japan is one of at least 11 people who have died in recent days as a result of a heat wave that's sent temperatures soaring across the country.

The 28-year-old part-time worker at the Hirakata Park in Hirakata was practicing for a dance performance around 7:30 p.m. Sunday on an outdoor stage while dressed as a fairy character, according to officials.

After dancing for about 20 minutes in the 35-pound outfit, the man lost consciousness and was rushed to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead, police told the Asahi Shimbun newspaper.

Read more at: https://www.foxnews.com/world/amusement-park-mascot-dies-of-heatstroke-amid-sweltering-temperatures-in-japan-behind-10-other-deaths

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Offline roamer_1

Considering the insulation value of those costumes, A capillary coolant system with a radiator and a fan should be easy to design... and would probably run for a while on a few power tool batteries.

It's just obscene that no one has figured that out.

Online Polly Ticks

83 degrees?

Mascot performers shoulder some 40 lbs. of costume, and if the outside temperature is near 86 °F, the inside temperature reaches 113°F in just 20 minutes. This can cause system failure as the body tries to regulate its own temperature.

http://www.airvital.ca/eng/sante.html
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Thanks, that helps.
Combined with the absence of evaporative cooling, yeah, I can see where it could be deadly.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline PeteS in CA

After dancing for about 20 minutes in the 35-pound outfit ...

I'm not in the medical field, but I suspect those 20 minutes were the culmination of a somewhat longer process. Whether I'm correct or not, heatstroke is very serious, and something like a true full recovery can take months (not my experience, but the experience of a runner friend).
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I'm not in the medical field, but I suspect those 20 minutes were the culmination of a somewhat longer process. Whether I'm correct or not, heatstroke is very serious, and something like a true full recovery can take months (not my experience, but the experience of a runner friend).
Mrs Joe had a milder (non fatal) one close to 30 years ago. She's still not a fan of heat, and limits her exposure.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Mrs Joe had a milder (non fatal) one close to 30 years ago. She's still not a fan of heat, and limits her exposure.

Same here about 15 years ago.  Still can't tolerate heat very well.

Oh, and by the time you get to heatstroke, chances of survival are not great.