Author Topic: Have You Ever Heard These 25 Obscure English Words?  (Read 2114 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Have You Ever Heard These 25 Obscure English Words?
« on: July 31, 2019, 10:27:50 pm »
There's something so satisfying about pulling out a $15 word — the kind that you hardly ever get to use, but fits the situation perfectly. On the other hand, that feeling when you can't quite find the right word for what you're trying to express is incredibly aggravating. Well, we're here to help. Here are 25 weird, obscure, and downright cool words hidden in the English language.

Words You Didn't Know You Needed

Epeolatry: The worship of words. What better piece of vocabulary to kick off this list with?
    Aglet: The little piece of plastic on the end of your shoelaces. (Also a great name for a cat, if you ask certain Curiosity editors.)
    Grawlix: You know when cartoonists substitute a bunch of punctuation marks for curse words? They're using grawlix....

https://curiosity.com/topics/have-you-ever-heard-these-25-obscure-english-words-curiosity/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=kalmbach&utm_campaign=73019

I like grawlix...*^%&$^$!!

Online roamer_1

Re: Have You Ever Heard These 25 Obscure English Words?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 10:53:57 pm »
I like grawlix...*^%&$^$!!

HA! I knew Tatterdemalion... Although I thought it a redneck word. And I knew a few more... I am not bereft of 5 dollar words, myself...  happy77

Online roamer_1

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 10:54:53 pm »
15 dollar words, according to the article. That seems... inflationary.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 11:03:20 pm »
Only Nibling and Bruxism for me.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 12:15:15 am »
"Aglet", "Tittle", "Defenestrate", "Bruxism" are the ones I had heard of. I may have used some form of "Defenestrate" here in at least one previous post.

ETA: My memory was correct.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 12:17:57 am by PeteS in CA »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2019, 05:37:18 pm »
Heard of aglet (thanks Phineas and Ferb), grawlix (which I'm pretty sure was something Mort Walker just made up one day), tittle, defenestrate, bruxism, lemniscate, vaguely recognize obelus, and though "preantepenultimate" is new to me, I already recognized the "antepenultimate" part so I was able to easily deduce what it meant.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024