Author Topic: This Is the Healthiest Number of Cups of Coffee to Drink Per Day  (Read 1225 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
January 26, 2018
Written by Joanie Faletto

The Curiosity office has a pretty major caffeine habit. If it weren't for coffee, you probably wouldn't be reading this article right now, because it wouldn't exist. No exaggeration. Luckily, research supports the idea that multiple cups of coffee per day is the perfect amount. Phew.
Related Video: Three Coffees a Day 'More Health than Harm'
Fill 'Er Up

As long as people have been relying on coffee to get themselves through the day, there's been a debate on how much joe is too much joe. Good news is here for coffee lovers. According to an October 2017 review, drinking three or four cups of coffee in a day is the way to go. This umbrella review (research that combines previous meta-analyses to give a high-level summary), done by researchers at the University of Southampton and University of Edinburgh, looked at more than 200 meta-analyses of different health outcomes associated with coffee consumption. Because different studies use different cup sizes and brew strengths, the three-or-four-cup recommendation is a rough estimate.

Still, the result is comforting: "Coffee consumption was more often associated with benefit than harm."....

https://curiosity.com/topics/this-is-the-healthiest-number-of-cups-of-coffee-to-drink-per-day-curiosity/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=kalmbach&utm_campaign=73019

Such a nice story.

Online roamer_1

Re: This Is the Healthiest Number of Cups of Coffee to Drink Per Day
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 10:38:08 pm »

Such a nice story.

Funny thing... As I return to my roots, I am drifting away from coffee some. Surely no longer the 10 cups a day that used to keep me jangling through my high-pressure life. And no longer the 3-4 triple mochas a day that replaced the 10 cups...

I have grown quite fond of my old favorite, dandelion coffee (and other things around chicory), and the near endless combinations of tea - to include a nice spiced chai (in cream, no less), which is a relatively new favorite.

I am still rather likely to be having coffee in the morning, but not necessarily anymore.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 11:06:59 pm »
Funny thing... As I return to my roots, I am drifting away from coffee some. Surely no longer the 10 cups a day that used to keep me jangling through my high-pressure life. And no longer the 3-4 triple mochas a day that replaced the 10 cups...

I have grown quite fond of my old favorite, dandelion coffee (and other things around chicory), and the near endless combinations of tea - to include a nice spiced chai (in cream, no less), which is a relatively new favorite.

I am still rather likely to be having coffee in the morning, but not necessarily anymore.

I've cut way back too - no more than 5 cups a day (which equals 2 mugs of coffee).

Online roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 11:26:04 pm »
I've cut way back too - no more than 5 cups a day (which equals 2 mugs of coffee).

That's what I make every morning... 2 mugs worth... I seldom drink them both, and sometimes don't wind up drinking them at all... Though by far and away, that first cup is the most likely, albeit that the ritual is the thing anymore, rather than the coffee.

Still, that first cup out on the porch... That's a mighty fine thing.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2019, 11:33:27 pm »
For me, it's two almost-full big mugs in the morning.

Then a medium-size from Dunkin' in the afternoon...

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2019, 11:48:35 pm »
As many cups as it takes to work up a real good BM.  Then one more cup after you finish the paper work.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2019, 11:48:47 pm »
For me, it's two almost-full big mugs in the morning.

Then a medium-size from Dunkin' in the afternoon...

Mid morning onward is generally sweet tea for me - That is probably the biggest shift, and the multiplier here for me... When I went back to sweet tea, generally to replace my mocha habit, That's probably the biggest shift I made away from coffee... And it grew from there.

I guess Snapple Peach Tea did it. If I am out and about, that is very likely what I will have in hand. The price difference alone is remarkable, when compared to mochas, and the portability, screw-on lid, durable container... Al of that contributes.

Now I often just bring a jug or two of my own from home... and it is literally pennies to make - A thrifty and delicious substitute. I more or less just buy Snapple for their containers.

Still love a strong cup of coffee... mostly just morning... and still love a mocha, especially a mocha breve... but that's a real treat anymore... one or maybe two a month.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 11:50:36 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline thackney

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2019, 12:37:07 pm »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Applewood

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2019, 05:06:49 pm »
Tomorrow there will be another study saying coffee is bad for you.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2019, 05:30:19 pm »
I haven't read the article yet,so I am going to guess "27".
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2019, 05:33:22 pm »
That's what I make every morning... 2 mugs worth... I seldom drink them both, and sometimes don't wind up drinking them at all... Though by far and away, that first cup is the most likely, albeit that the ritual is the thing anymore, rather than the coffee.

Still, that first cup out on the porch... That's a mighty fine thing.

@roamer_1

Regardless of what time of the day it is,I always perk a full pot,pour a cup,and then store the coffee pot inside my microwave to keep it warm as long as possible and to keep it from getting bitter. When I want another cup,I just pour it and heat it in the microwave and put the pot back in there when done.

I do the same thing with tea. When I drink tea,it is always green tea.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2019, 05:35:54 pm »
Tomorrow there will be another study saying coffee is bad for you.

@Applewood

Written by some commie pinko child molester.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2019, 06:18:45 pm »
@roamer_1

Regardless of what time of the day it is,I always perk a full pot,pour a cup,and then store the coffee pot inside my microwave to keep it warm as long as possible and to keep it from getting bitter. When I want another cup,I just pour it and heat it in the microwave and put the pot back in there when done.

I do the same thing with tea. When I drink tea,it is always green tea.

@sneakypete

I have a crappy 12 dollar thermos bottle I got over to the Wallyworld way back in the day... I have prolly bought an even dozen of em, over a few years.... This here one is the last one, from before I got sick...  The point being that it is a glass thermos, and while terribly fragile, it will keep liquid piping hot for hours, and pretty far above warm all day.

For all the fancy stuff I have bought, to include Thermos brand and Stanley brand steel ones, that 12 dollar crappy glass thermos puts em all to shame.

So that's the way I went, for many years... Even having a padded nest for such a thing, behind the seat in my truck...

But as I have gone back to the old ways, I have gone another way - Living out of a go-pack, I always carried a tin camp cup. And one of the few luxuries, an alcohol stove... And as you go, the time comes for a break, and you just stop along the trail pop a squirt into that stove, fire it up, and set that tin cup on it to make a boil.

In that way, tea bags were always easier to carry than coffee, and a fair selection could be supported, along with dandelion coffee and hot chocolate mix. After some time, they came out with them silicone collapsible filter cones, which is when single-serve coffee  came into the picture, and now Folgers makes coffee in tea bags which also works for a single serving...

Before that, for the longest time, there was Sanka (which I hate), or freeze dried coffee, which is barely alright... I would carry it some, but as a rule, tea was better...

As a side note, I am absolutely fine with cowboy coffee - but that is more of a main camp thing, where you'd have a pot big enough to float the grounds, or a percolator made for the fire... Once you are up and away from the camp, that single-serve thing is what applies.

All that to say, that's kinda where I am going now... back to that single service, made when you want it... And for coffee, I will be going back to that collapsible silicone filter... with a screen in the bottom of it... where you put in the coffee you want in the filter, set that filter on top of your cup, and pour in hot water from the teapot and let er drip... Every time, fresh as fresh, and every time, piping hot.

There is a ritual in that that brings me peace... waiting for the boil, waiting for the steep... waiting for the scaling heat to pass... those tentative first sips... switching the cup from hand to hand because it it still too dang hot... Yeah... it's a thing.

I still have that ol camp cup around here somewheres. That same old one.