Author Topic: O'Rourke predicts Democrats 'can win Texas' away from Trump in 2020  (Read 621 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
O'Rourke predicts Democrats 'can win Texas' away from Trump in 2020
By Rebecca Klar - 07/31/19 09:44 AM EDT

Democratic presidential candidate Beto O’Rourke, a former Texas congressman, said his party can win his home state in 2020.

“With Texas, we defeat Donald Trump but we also change the electoral landscape of the United States for ever after,” O’Rourke told MSNBC after Tuesday night’s debate. “This is how we begin to build the majority we need to pass this really ambitious legislation on health care or climate or immigration.”

“We can put Texas in play, and furthermore, we can win Texas," he told MSNBC reporters in a separate post-debate panel, POLITICO reports.

Texas has not chosen a Democratic presidential candidate since Jimmy Carter in 1976. But after O’Rourke’s close 2018 campaign against Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas), the party views the state as one vehicle for the 2020 Democratic nominee to beat President Trump.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/455507-orourke-predicts-democrats-can-win-texas-away-from-trump-in-2020
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: O'Rourke predicts Democrats 'can win Texas' away from Trump in 2020
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 06:06:27 pm »
I wouldn't take advice on winning a statewide election from a loser such as Little Bob O"rourke.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 06:07:15 pm »
 :mauslaff:

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 06:08:54 pm »
Is Paddy running his mouth again?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2019, 07:38:12 pm »
Robert Francis' last desperate gasp of hope to make himself relevant. He isn't. Must be hard after his rock-star status in his losing effort in Texas.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Online libertybele

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2019, 07:41:27 pm »
Is Paddy running his mouth again?

Not so sure that he's just running his mouth. Due to the influx of Hispanics and the change in demographics he could be correct and certainly his narrow loss to Cruz is cause for concern.  According to the 2010 census Hispanics made up 38.2% of the population. Obviously the Hispanic population has grown; in 2022 they are projected to be the largest population in TX.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hispanics_and_Latinos_in_Texas
https://www.texastribune.org/2018/06/21/hispanic-texans-pace-become-biggest-population-group-state-2022/
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2019, 08:26:14 pm »
I wouldn't take advice on winning a statewide election from a loser such as Little Bob O"rourke.
Robby just barely lost, which is very disturbing. What the heck happened to Texas?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online libertybele

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2019, 08:30:51 pm »
Robby just barely lost, which is very disturbing. What the heck happened to Texas?

The Hispanic population has boomed.  I believe it's that simple.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline austingirl

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2019, 09:11:17 pm »

The amount of out-of-state money was astronomical for a Senate race. And a constant fawning adoring press did their best to portray the empty suit as a viable candidate.

Offline corbe

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2019, 09:16:44 pm »
   Most Trumpers, under no circumstances, could pull the lever for 'Lyin' Ted, is my current theory.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline austingirl

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2019, 09:42:49 pm »
   Most Trumpers, under no circumstances, could pull the lever for 'Lyin' Ted, is my current theory.

Nope. I was for Cruz until the end. Voted for Trump as a pragmatist. I am a Trump Realist, not a Trumper.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2019, 09:46:38 pm »

Ballot harvesting on a grand scale in the big cities.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2019, 09:28:39 am »
https://www.politico.com/election-results/2018/texas/senate/

The map tends to confirm both theories, a combined Hispanic/Dems from elsewhere influx, partly to urban districts, which went Dem.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2019, 02:03:56 pm »

Not so sure that he's just running his mouth. Due to the influx of Hispanics and the change in demographics he could be correct and certainly his narrow loss to Cruz is cause for concern.  According to the 2010 census Hispanics made up 38.2% of the population. Obviously the Hispanic population has grown; in 2022 they are projected to be the largest population in TX.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hispanics_and_Latinos_in_Texas
https://www.texastribune.org/2018/06/21/hispanic-texans-pace-become-biggest-population-group-state-2022/

Texas hispanic population share has been growing for decades, right along with Texas republican growth in Government.

Don't believe a Texas Hispanic refinery worker has the same political leanings as a California Hispanic welfare queen.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2019, 02:05:04 pm »
Texas hispanic population share has been growing for decades, right along with Texas republican growth in Government.

Don't believe a Texas Hispanic refinery worker has the same political leanings as a California Hispanic welfare queen.

:beer:
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2019, 03:00:55 pm »
The Hispanic population has boomed.  I believe it's that simple.

Intellectual laziness IMO .

I married into a huge Hispanic family, they’re now conservatives and vote Republican. If you’re going to point fingers, I suggest you point them at newcomers to the state, who don’t understand the ethos and culture of Texas.

Trump’s NY bombastic style generally does not go over well with the average Texan. He may have won Texas, but Cruz won all but 4 counties during the primary.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2019, 01:47:34 am »
bele wrote:
"Not so sure that he's just running his mouth. Due to the influx of Hispanics and the change in demographics he could be correct and certainly his narrow loss to Cruz is cause for concern.  According to the 2010 census Hispanics made up 38.2% of the population. Obviously the Hispanic population has grown; in 2022 they are projected to be the largest population in TX."

Not sure how accurate this graphic is, but it's worth a look:

Addendum:
I believe "white" in the graphic refers to NON-HISPANIC "whites" -- commonly referred to as "Anglos"...
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 01:49:44 am by Fishrrman »

Offline corbe

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2019, 01:50:19 am »
   Thanks for Sharing that @Fishrrman 
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline austingirl

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2019, 01:55:37 am »

888high58888

Online libertybele

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2019, 02:08:41 am »
888high58888

So, there are no welfare kings and queens in TX?  No voter fraud?  No Hispanics that were granted asylum who are now eligible to vote?

Nearly half of Texans under 18 are Latino and 95 percent of them are U.S. citizens — meaning they will be eligible to vote once they turn 18.

Latinos made up a notable share of eligible voters in several states with competitive races for U.S. Senate and governor, including Texas (30%), Arizona (23%), Florida (20%) and Nevada (19%). In these states, Democrats won the Latino vote, sometimes by a wide margin. In the Texas Senate race, 64% of Latinos voted for Democrat Beto O’Rourke while 35% voted for Republican incumbent Ted Cruz. In the state’s race for governor, about half of Hispanics (53%) voted for Democrat Lupe Valdez and 42% backed the Republican, Greg Abbott.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/young-texas-latinos-are-untapped-voting-goldmine-n871206

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/11/09/how-latinos-voted-in-2018-midterms/
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 02:14:18 am by libertybele »

Offline austingirl

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2019, 02:25:30 am »
So, there are no welfare kings and queens in TX?  No voter fraud?  No Hispanics that were granted asylum who are now eligible to vote?

Nearly half of Texans under 18 are Latino and 95 percent of them are U.S. citizens — meaning they will be eligible to vote once they turn 18.

Latinos made up a notable share of eligible voters in several states with competitive races for U.S. Senate and governor, including Texas (30%), Arizona (23%), Florida (20%) and Nevada (19%). In these states, Democrats won the Latino vote, sometimes by a wide margin. In the Texas Senate race, 64% of Latinos voted for Democrat Beto O’Rourke while 35% voted for Republican incumbent Ted Cruz. In the state’s race for governor, about half of Hispanics (53%) voted for Democrat Lupe Valdez and 42% backed the Republican, Greg Abbott.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/young-texas-latinos-are-untapped-voting-goldmine-n871206

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/11/09/how-latinos-voted-in-2018-midterms/

Of course there's welfare fraud and voter fraud. The point of the original post is that not all Latinos are liberal. I agreed with the poster.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2019, 09:51:47 am »
My thoughts on Texas about the numbers:
Although Beto is a sleaze, he went to every county in Texas when he ran against Cruz - 254 counties.  He even went to Gregg County, where Longview is and that is where I was born and where I had my children.  No one goes to Longview, never hear of Longview.  Well, he went there.  Then, I saw the huge numbers of Democrats voting in the primary and couldn't believe it - never happened before.  Beto made a big dent in numbers by going to every county.  He woke up the Democrats.

Spanish people:
The Spanish are big on family - they tend to be religious Catholics - I doubt many of them are for abortion.  They are not voting illegally in Texas due to the way our voting system is set up.
I went to Montgomery County this past weekend.  I have a townhouse there and a Mexican man, Juan, watches/checks my townhouse for me.  He owns a construction company and we talked about he came to Texas at age 15 and became a citizen.  There is no way this man or his wife is liberal.  They are not Democrats.

Now, I do think because Democrats made such a showing at that primary and the following November election, we do stand to lose Republicans in our county and state government, and it is possible the state goes Democrat for president.  I never thought I would think that.  I hope it doesn't happen.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2019, 11:31:59 am »
bele wrote:
"Not so sure that he's just running his mouth. Due to the influx of Hispanics and the change in demographics he could be correct and certainly his narrow loss to Cruz is cause for concern.  According to the 2010 census Hispanics made up 38.2% of the population. Obviously the Hispanic population has grown; in 2022 they are projected to be the largest population in TX."

Not sure how accurate this graphic is, but it's worth a look:

Addendum:
I believe "white" in the graphic refers to NON-HISPANIC "whites" -- commonly referred to as "Anglos"...

@Fishrrman

What you also may not realize is that a huge contingent of Spanish in Texas are of the Tejano extract, meaning their people were there pre-Texas Independence, even back to 1700's.  It might suprise you that many of these do not like the hoard from the south, and lean  conservatively.  Texas turning blue may be an inevitability, but it's not happening in my lifetime.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline thackney

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2019, 11:44:51 am »

The reality is more important than polls, which are often false.

Reality is while hispanic population in Texas has been growing, at the same time republican control of Texas government has grown.  More seats to republicans while more population is hispanic.

Most (not all) come to Texas for jobs.  And they are not all coming from Mexico.  Some were already here and fought starting at the Alamo.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2019, 12:28:16 pm »
Well, he is right about this

but we also change the electoral landscape of the United States for ever after
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington